Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11 sub-legal moose in Delta from the first to the eighth

Default 11 sub-legal moose in Delta from the first to the eighth

Was just reading the Delta paper,(only comes out on thursdays ) and there were 11 sub-legal moose shot in 8 days.

Of those, 9 guys turned themselfs in, 2 did not.

Man this place isnt going to have any breeders if people don't think twice before they shoot.

I don't know what happened in the last 7 days yet.

Thanks to the guys that turned in the meat that was taken on a mistake.

( I'm not calling anybody out, just posting what was in the paper.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Was just reading the Delta paper,(only comes out on thursdays ) and there were 11 sub-legal moose shot in 8 days.

Of those, 9 guys turned themselfs in, 2 did not.

Man this place isnt going to have any breeders if people don't think twice before they shoot.

I don't know what happened in the last 7 days yet.

Thanks to the guys that turned in the meat that was taken on a mistake.

( I'm not calling anybody out, just posting what was in the paper.)
    Rhetorical question; I wonder how many of those shooters are new to the state?

One was from Delta, then threre were some from the fairbanks area, and some from anch. and some from down the homer way. I could'nt say how many are new to the state, but something better has to happen to educate the people on this.

Its not just shoot first and then say ah hell I made a mistake.

Theres a reason that the rule was put in place.

Just saw this ( http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...fd2fe5b95.html )

I spoke with a Trooper from the area on 9/13 and the number was up to 22.

#22 was killed, measured, and left to rot by the moron who shot it. Measured out at 40". Troopers were called and it was harvested for charity.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Damm, did'nt think it would get that high.

I'm starting to think some of these people just want to get a picture of themselfs with a first kill and then just say hell, it was worth it to not to be able to hunt the next year and pay the $300.00 fine. Probably did'nt want the meat anyway.

I'm not saying that all or any were doing this, but that is a heck of a number.

I did notice this ( http://khns.org/adfg-reminds-hunters...-gets-underway )

I'm sure some were close to 50, but still.

Remember, its all about "me". I just cannot fathom the mind of someone who would leave the animal to rot. What an incredible waste. You make a mistake (hopefully honestly), you report it, face the music, but ensure the meat can be utilized.
    Given how things seem to be going, our wildlife needs to be protected as the treasured resource that it is. You guys over in Ak who have been there a while know what I mean. The hunting here is not what it was, and unless laws are changed to have truly effective punishments, this sort of stuff will continue until more drastic steps of wildlife management are initiated.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

As a recent Alaska resident,(waited my year), this is my first year ever hunting moose. I have 30 years experience hunting deer, elk, and antelope in the lower 48. So I have been paranoid with the antler restrictions. I don't want to shoot a sub legal moose. I have watched all of the DFG videos, actively read this site and have taken in as much knowledge as I could. Coming from the lower 48 if I see horns it usually means a legal animal.

So so last week I was hunting and for the first time out in the field I saw a bull at about 100 yards away. I kept looking at his brow tines and saw two on the left but could not determine what was on the right. After calling him for over twenty minutes and him thrashing around I thought I saw three on his right. However, I hesitated as I really didn't think he was more that 40" wide (even though if three tines is legal). What I saw was a tine past the brow that looked what was a tine. So I started to leave.

Well, the bull was already worked up and started following me for about a 1/2 mile, and charged twice. It almost got to the point where I was about to fire a warning shot when I was able to break contact with the little bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Damm, did'nt think it would get that high.

I'm starting to think some of these people just want to get a picture of themselfs with a first kill and then just say hell, it was worth it to not to be able to hunt the next year and pay the $300.00 fine. Probably did'nt want the meat anyway.

I'm not saying that all or any were doing this, but that is a heck of a number.

I did notice this ( http://khns.org/adfg-reminds-hunters...-gets-underway )

I'm sure some were close to 50, but still.
    I beginning to wonder if the $300 fine isn't enough of a deterrent to folks who just spent $500 in GAS to just get here and burned a week of vacation to boot....

I'd like to think a lot of these are 49.5"....but they're not. A lot of 36" moose hit the ground....and maybe even worse, a lot of them make it out of town at 0 dark hundred.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Had to pass on one today. I'd guess he was 47-51", but I jumped him at close range and never got a good look at his right brow tines. Only three on the left, and not big enough to let lead fly. Hard to walk away - really hard when the freezer is low - but better than the alternative.

Sounds like around here. The tweeners get pounded, and often left to rot. I think the long time hunters hear more than F&G does. I look them over hard, and often see dozens of bulls, but only one or two will be legal. The weekend warriors shoot first and measure later.....then haul ass if it's not legal.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I beginning to wonder if the $300 fine isn't enough of a deterrent to folks who just spent $500 in GAS to just get here and burned a week of vacation to boot....

I'd like to think a lot of these are 49.5"....but they're not. A lot of 36" moose hit the ground....and maybe even worse, a lot of them make it out of town at 0 dark hundred.
    300 hundred dollars and no hunting the following year? Does that sound like much of a consequence to anyone? It doesn't seem bad at all to me. I realize it can be a lot worse, like losing your gun and gear, but still it just doesn't seem like enough to me. A sublegal moose is only worth 300 dollars.......wow.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    300 hundred dollars and no hunting the following year? Does that sound like much of a consequence to anyone? It doesn't seem bad at all to me. I realize it can be a lot worse, like losing your gun and gear, but still it just doesn't seem like enough to me. A sublegal moose is only worth 300 dollars.......wow.
    Shoot first and measure later, if at all; the odds of being caught are minimal and the threat of a $300 fine is laughable. Same guys toss their Happy Meals out the window as they pass by the $1000 fine for littering signs...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

$300 fine for killing an illegal majestic moose? Thats crazy! An illegally taken whitetail buck in Iowa will cost the perpetrator a couple grand or more and the loss of possessions.

If someone (a native Alaskan) is living out in the bush and they were in dyer need of meat and I were a warden then I might turn my head on one close to 50. However, as for every spoiled rotten rich kid from the lower 48 who just wants another head on the wall.......I'd nail them to the wall.

Nope, no way is $300 steep enough. As for the guy who walks away from his kill only to leave it rot. He should be done hunting Moose forever.

When guys and gals but mostly guys hell majority of the guys go and buy all the expensive toys to go "moose" hunting to "fill" the freezer cause you know Alaska is just to **** expensive.. Sure we have the other types as well all "I" will feed my family is 100% organic meat "none" of that store bought crap. YOU combine all those together and that's a bunch of pressure on the fella to fill his freezer with 100% organic meat cause **** it that's all I will feed my family. As they are chomping on the Big Mac headed out of town to the happy moose hunting grounds. So they get to the happy moose hunting grounds all they hear in their head is momma nagging" I cant believe you spent this and that oh and this for that to go moose hunting" so the first bull that looks kind of legal is shot and uh oh its not legal. The point being we all put a lot pressure on ourselves to get that moose. sometimes after tallying the bill up I look at my wife and say I was better off buying a half of beef. But as a buddy says its all about the hunt not the kill or something like that. If guys need meat that bad I drive to delta straight to the elk farm pay the 1500 bucks and shoot an elk and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Shoot first and measure later, if at all; the odds of being caught are minimal and the threat of a $300 fine is laughable. Same guys toss their Happy Meals out the window as they pass by the $1000 fine for littering signs...
    Exactly. Maybe, MAYBE a $300 fine for those who own up to the mistake, but in my mind, you leave the meat to rot, that's the kind of hunter none of us want in the field. You don't hunt again. Period. A harsh penalty? Heck ya. But as I mentioned previously, our natural resources are ever diminishing, and what we have here north of 60 is too precious to waste. It's a privilege to be able to get out as we do.
    Not to get off topic, but we recently had a case here where a new outfitter bought into an area that had been closed for over 10 years. The previous outfitter had the area taken from them to to wildlife act infractions. Family sold it to this new guy from out of the Yukon. Long story short, he had a bang up first season, including illegally taking two rams from an area closed to him. Was charged $7k per ram in fines. A Sheep hunt goes for $25K or so. Well, the math is easy. The fines were just a cost of doing business. And a $300 fine for taking a sub legal Moose is about 30 or 40 years out of date.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

The penalty for not reporting a sub legal in a Tier 2 subsistence hunt is much more severe than a $300 fine.

http://khns.org/adfg-reminds-hunters...-gets-underway

They say it will always be worse for the hunter if they leave the animal to waste. If hunters are caught and convicted of wasting a big game animal, the mandatory minimum fine is $2,500 and seven days in jail. Additionally, hunters typically lose their equipment such as rifles, ATVs, boats and airplanes used in the hunt.

If you make the fine too steep, no one will ever self report if they make a mistake. More will be left to rot. The steepest fines are, and should be, for wanton waste.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by AKWesty View Post
    The penalty for not reporting a sub legal in a Tier 2 subsistence hunt is much more severe than a $300 fine.

http://khns.org/adfg-reminds-hunters...-gets-underway
    Indeed it is.

The $300 figure comes from people who self report and take care of the meat. That seems typical from the few I've talked to. It can be higher, but I haven't heard one yet. The one friend of mine who dropped a fork that had a third point didn't even lose his license for a year, just his moose tag.

If they flat catch you, it will be significantly higher fines and a loss of hunting license. A wanton waste charge on top of all that will drive the fine higher still.

I guess my point was that some folks won't consider a $300 fine such a steep price to measure one on the ground when considering how much effort and expense goes into just getting into the field.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Good grief! this is pretty sad. there are plenty of other places in this country where this type of BS will get a guy in big trouble and that is the way it should be here. I get that we all make mistakes but this is stupid!

Based off these number a total of 4,526 people moose hunted in 14A/B/C. Is that a lot of people sure but its not the hordes you are all making it out to be. Also 3789 people hunted for moose in units 13A/B/C/D/E. 6,692 hunted moose in units 20A/B/C/D/E/. Three of the most popular units had a grand total of 15007 moose hunters. That represent less than 2% of the population of Alaska if you go off a population of 700,000 also adding unit 15 and 16 to this fold would only increase the total to little over 18,000. So would it be beneficial to go to a statewide draw who knows. Also these numbers include non residents as well and all Draw hunts in the respective units as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast