Thread: Afognak deer/elk?

Default Afognak deer/elk?

Heading to Afognak next week. Tagging along with a buddy that drew a elk tag for SE Afognak. Anyone been hunting deer there this time of the yr? Seems like most prefer to hunt later. Just looking for general info on where to concentrate this time of the yr. Is calling effective this early? doe bleats/buck grunts? How are the deer/elk numbers? I assume after 2 mild winters they should be on the upswing can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for any help/info

I have hunted Afognak quite a bit over the years. Been very successful with both elk and deer. In my experience the deer can be hard to come by in late September. Once everything turns brown above timberline they seem to move into the timber until November. Calling may get a buck to stand up out of his bed but I wouldn't expect to call them to you that time of year. Both deer and elk are plentiful this year with both sporting great headgear, benefiting from an early spring. Big bucks and big bulls around. Just concentrate on the elk, calling for them works great as they will be in full rut, and look for deer in the meadows as you hunt. Also, Afognak has one of the highest densities of bear around. While hunting there I rarely go a day without seeing at least one. So be on the look out and plan to move quarters far away from the gut pile of you are successful and have to make multiple packs out. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.