Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Silvers

Default Weird Silvers

Kodiak's silvers are really weird this year. They arrived really early and in good numbers.

But they're tiny! And lots are really skinny!

In spite of Kodiak's rep for big silvers, I bet the average is well below 10#.... On the order of 6# or 7# or so. No end of them, but I'm still catching a few fish around 4#, the size you'd expect offshore early in July. My wife and I hook and release a whole lot of fish, but I'm pretty sure we haven't landed a one over 10# yet. You'd think they were reds, at best.

Potential bad news for anyone planning to come over here this fall. On top of the small fish, the river mouth at Pasagshak has closed off with a great big sand bar. No big rains in sight to wash it out either.

Just a weird year over here.

Interesting ordeal with the Silvers. My coworkers are over on Prince of Wales Island and I just got off the phone with our IT guy, Ryan who only has one AK trip under his belt. I got two images from him. One of Silvers and one of their boat trip focused on Halibut only.

On Silvers - LOTS of jacks...which is a good thing for next year's return and the adult Coho look to be mixed. No big bruisers from what I can tell in the pic but certainly some over 10# are there. The fish bonker in the pic is one I made for Ryan out of a red oak stair rail with a 3 inch width and weighs a couple pounds and the fish in the far right corner is probably 9 inches across the belly but I see plenty in the long thin shape. I'll see if they've gotten bigger next week.

I think it's a river shed issue BRWBR. We fished my normal go to river last week, 3 days in all, 2 of us put well over 100 on the beach and they were about average for early Sept. Hens were 6-8b and the bucks were 8-11 on average. I've heard guys from the crick down the way saying that the fish are much smaller tho.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I have not been up our river yet, but Im still trolling for kings and catching silvers and PINKS at the capes! Nothing of any size to the silvers and NO kings. Bait is starting to move in, as every fisherman says "next tide"
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Huh....

We haven't fished the Buskin, but we're seeing small fish in all the other watersheds and offshore. Could be too, that we just haven't been lucky yet!

As for kings offshore, we can't seem to get past the silvers either. Lots of the little guys around, that's for sure.

Not the Buskin, although the fish I've gotten out of the harbor I'm betting are Buskin bound, they are about average too tho. But there's a ton of bait in there, lots of small herring. I did get one that I thought was a Kenai Rainbow, or at least spent some time with them rainbows....Mouth was jacked up and looked like, those rainbows, been hooked way to many times.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

I've been involved in catching or netting around 40 silvers the last 3 weeks and have only had a handful of fish under around 8lbs. Plenty of 10-14lb'ers and 1 or 2 pushing 16. All around the harbor or woody dock. Seems this side of the bay is having a normal run.

We really could use some rain......that just seems odd to type
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

That's good news! Thanks. Watched and listened to some folks photographing their guests with fish at the Olds today, assuring them the biggest must be close to 15. Funny what vision does, but from 20' of way I could swear it didn't touch 10#. Looked big next to the three 5-6 pounders though, and who am I to spoil a happy moment by pulling out my scales! Pretty small on the south side of Chiniak Bay and Pasagshak for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's good news! Thanks. Watched and listened to some folks photographing their guests with fish at the Olds today, assuring them the biggest must be close to 15. Funny what vision does, but from 20' of way I could swear it didn't touch 10#. Looked big next to the three 5-6 pounders though, and who am I to spoil a happy moment by pulling out my scales! Pretty small on the south side of Chiniak Bay and Pasagshak for some reason.
    I know I tend to think my fish are bigger than they are but finishing up summer number 8 in Kodiak I'd like to think I'm pretty close

My first summer here I caught what I just knew was a 20lb silver in the Buskin.....when I weighed it at the house I was shocked that it was only 15
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

No reflection on you with that, just reporting it as an example of fish I've been seeing over on that side of the bay. I had been evaluating half a dozen sample spey lines and keeping my distance from folks, and walked up on the scene on the way back to my truck.

No reflection on you with that, just reporting it as an example of fish I've been seeing over on that side of the bay. I had been evaluating half a dozen sample spey lines and keeping my distance from folks, and walked up on the scene on the way back to my truck.
    I didn't take it that way. Just poking some fun at myself

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    Just poking some fun at myself
    Funny how fish shrink from the time they come over the rail until they've been in plain sight for half an hour or so, never mind when they hit the scale!

I first get a king over the side and my mind sezz 35#, while the little voice in my ear sezz "Wait a bit." Look at it half an hour later, and my mind sezz 30#, while the little voice sezz "Get the scale." Dig out the scale, and it's 28 or 29.

We have a handy and accurate measure for bigger kings in the boat though- If they won't fit in the 48" fish box in the deck without bending, they top 50#. But those shorter fish are tough to eyeball through all the enthusiasm when they first come aboard. We got six over 40" this year, but looking at them by the side of the boat before netting, we swore every one was over 48"! Just one made that cut.

Silvers? Katy bar the door. Weight on those guys is so much about girth, but my eyes are trained from six decades of looking in the mirror to misjudge girth!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I have not been up our river yet, but Im still trolling for kings and catching silvers and PINKS at the capes! Nothing of any size to the silvers and NO kings. Bait is starting to move in, as every fisherman says "next tide"
    Fdd"%88>|||^^\^\\[[[[\|>
    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I think it's a river shed issue BRWBR. We fished my normal go to river last week, 3 days in all, 2 of us put well over 100 on the beach and they were about average for early Sept. Hens were 6-8b and the bucks were 8-11 on average. I've heard guys from the crick down the way saying that the fish are much smaller tho.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    I know I tend to think my fish are bigger than they are but finishing up summer number 8 in Kodiak I'd like to think I'm pretty close

My first summer here I caught what I just knew was a 20lb silver in the Buskin.....when I weighed it at the house I was shocked that it was only 15
    We have a 20 lb silver mounted and hanging on the wall here in Ninilchik. My wife caught it 20 yrs ago when trolling in the mouth of Deep Creek in the salt water. Caught it on a Lure Jenson T-spoon #6.

Ha, ain't that the truth! I talked to a couple of guys the other day who told me all about the 18-20 lbers they'd been catching all day and I said that was bigger than I'd seen all year long. They showed me in the back of their truck and the biggest fish was MAYBE 10 lbs. The best was the guy at Pasagshak a couple of week ago that told me he'd been catching fish "up to 35 lbs all week!" I told him congratulations, because he's caught the World Record several times over. He said, "well...uh...maybe they were closer to 25 then I guess...." My guess is closer to 8.

I've been seeing leaner fish all year as well, out of all the drainages. My biggest from freshwater has barely been 11 on a Boga. I think I'm going to splash the boat one last time tomorrow and see what happens. Probably hover just out of casting distance of the horde at the Olds. I'm having knee surgery in a couple of weeks, so I have to wrap and put her away before I'm on crutches for a while.

Seems like a hulluva lot more people here this year, for fewer and smaller fish. Seems like every day there's van loads of people passing me on the road heading out to the snagging grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    Seems like a hulluva lot more people here this year, for fewer and smaller fish. Seems like every day there's van loads of people passing me on the road heading out to the snagging grounds.
    Probably more people again this year, as it seems to grow every year. But the Olds and elsewhere are more crowded because the river is blocked off over at Pasagshak. We were over there day before yesterday, and from one end to the other including the lake, we saw only 5 fishermen. Talked to 4 guys from Oregon who had just arrived for their annual trip. They were standing in the parking lot at the mouth scratching their heads (or whatever), trying to decide where to go next.

I'm having knee surgery in a couple of weeks, so I have to wrap and put her away before I'm on crutches for a while.
    Take good care of that knee, and do all the PT afterward! My brother recently had both knees done a few months apart. He slacked off the PT a couple of months after the first one, and lost about 10 degrees of motion as a result. Knee #2 came along, and he was religious about the PT. Ended up with more range of motion afterward than he started with. Still kicking himself for the slack on #1.

Ha, ain't that the truth! I talked to a couple of guys the other day who told me all about the 18-20 lbers they'd been catching all day and I said that was bigger than I'd seen all year long. They showed me in the back of their truck and the biggest fish was MAYBE 10 lbs. The best was the guy at Pasagshak a couple of week ago that told me he'd been catching fish "up to 35 lbs all week!" I told him congratulations, because he's caught the World Record several times over. He said, "well...uh...maybe they were closer to 25 then I guess...." My guess is closer to 8.

I've been seeing leaner fish all year as well, out of all the drainages. My biggest from freshwater has barely been 11 on a Boga. I think I'm going to splash the boat one last time tomorrow and see what happens. Probably hover just out of casting distance of the horde at the Olds. I'm having knee surgery in a couple of weeks, so I have to wrap and put her away before I'm on crutches for a while.

Had a guy here that worked at the CG firde dept, told me he was averaging 4045-lb kings out of the Olds on the fly rod, told him he's never actually seen a 40lb king then.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    ...he was averaging 4045-lb kings out of the Olds on the fly rod....
    Wow! I must be looking in all the wrong places. Biggest I've heard of scaled 28#.... After the guy was sure it was over 30# and gave it the scale test.

Of course we're probably all guilty of it, at least in our youthful enthusiasm days. I know I sure was.

I recently was looking at photos of fish we caught in a couple of rivers on the south end of the island back in the 1970's. We were darned sure they were over 40#. Did some comparative measuring on the photos, then applied length and "probable" girth to the formula. Either I was about a foot shorter 40 years ago, or my FIFTY POUNDER almost certainly didn't top 40#. Ummmm....

Wow! I must be looking in all the wrong places. Biggest I've heard of scaled 28#.... After the guy was sure it was over 30# and gave it the scale test.

Of course we're probably all guilty of it, at least in our youthful enthusiasm days. I know I sure was.

I recently was looking at photos of fish we caught in a couple of rivers on the south end of the island back in the 1970's. We were darned sure they were over 40#. Did some comparative measuring on the photos, then applied length and "probable" girth to the formula. Either I was about a foot shorter 40 years ago, or my FIFTY POUNDER almost certainly didn't top 40#. Ummmm....
    Ya, early in the season, I'll take my initial estimate and knock it down 1/3.

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast