Thread: kayak camping/fishing suggestions

Default kayak camping/fishing suggestions

Last summer my wife and I did a great trip from Homer to Kachemak Bay. We rented kayaks and took a water taxi to one of the yurts for 3 nights. We caught halibut, hiked, and kayaked all over the area. We want to do a similar trip next summer but hopefully with better kayaks. Our rentals were the super long, skinny, (tippy!) touring ones. Fishing was a little nerve wracking. Especially when fighting even smaller (30lb) halibut. Anyone know of a similar experience in the Homer/Seward area? Also, and maybe even more importantly, does anyone know of a place that rents sit-on-top fishing kayaks?

Thank you for any info!

-Mike

Sounds like you were in sea kayaks. That's what you want. Our outdoor club does this trip a couple times a year.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Alaska raft and kayak in Anchorage has a limited number of Hobie outbacks and pro anglers for rent. Having said that, on multiple day trips the rentals can get pricey. If you are water taxiing and not traveling far to fish, if you had paddling suits you could probably buy a lower end sit on top paddle kayak like the pescador 12 up here and sell it afterwards and be way ahead of the game.

Liquid adventures in Seward used to rent sit on top paddling kayaks as well. Not sure what their current status would be.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

10-4. Thanks for the info. The sea kayaks were great for covering distance, not so good for fishing. We are more accustomed to the sit-on-tops with rod holders and just more stable boats in general. Even if we are stuck with whatever rental we can find, any ideas for trips?

Check out Liquid Adventures in Seward (if they are still around) if you want guided.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedynp View Post
    10-4. Thanks for the info. The sea kayaks were great for covering distance, not so good for fishing. We are more accustomed to the sit-on-tops with rod holders and just more stable boats in general. Even if we are stuck with whatever rental we can find, any ideas for trips?

Prince of Wales Island gets my vote. Darren with Hollis Adventure Rentals can set you up with everything.

http://www.harentals.com/index.html

Probably several other outfits on the island, too. Or there's Howard McKim over in Ketchikan. Great guy, Owns Ketchikan Kayak Adventures or something like that.

Good luck.

I use these for my kayak while ocean fishing...the speed of an ocean kayak and the stability of outriggers. You can get inflatable ones for easier transport. Google inflatable stabilizer kayak to see all the options

http://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalog/PARTS/5027

When exactly is "summer"? My favorite month of the year is May great kings and halibut shallow off the Anchor Pt area 20 miles north of Homer. We still are hitting Halibut but in that area kings get scarcer after June.

I tend to be a one or two trick pony fishing the Homer Spit Oct through March. Then April through September off of Whiskey Gulch. Summer time is my slow time of year after Jan-March.

In the summer there other great fisheries. Kenai River (upper, middle and even the lower) can be world class. As just one example.

If you haven't yet, you could look through my videos of the past few years too see what one person does who is based out of Anchorage. I have two hundred videos up and they cover mainly kayak fishing the past few years here in Southcentral AK.
    https://www.youtube.com/guidesak

If you could provide a more specific time frame and preferred target fish, I bet we can narrow it down more for you!

A water taxi out open entire new areas as well depending on the time of year.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.