Thread: Anchorage to SW Alaska Flying?

Default Anchorage to SW Alaska Flying?

I'm leading a group to float one of the SW rivers (Togiak, Goodnews, or Kanektok). I know there are operators in Dillingham and Bethel. My question is does it make sense to fly from Anchorage to these areas in a bush plane? If so, are there any operators who provides this service? Also, some of our group may drive up and bring canoes. Can canoes be flown from Anchorage as an external load? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I think it's cheaper to fly commercial to the closest town, then take a shorter flight in a bush plane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can fly canoes external load on beavers and other aircraft, however, you have to check with the transporter/135 company to see if they will do it. If you have canoes in anchorage it would not be that hard to ship them on NAC (northern air cargo) to the west cost and transport from there. If you can find a pilot/plane close to the rivers that will fly your stuff in than Grantspastor is correct just fly commercial and ship all your gear on NAC. Sounds like a great trip just make it happen. There are beavers in ANC that can do the job but it might be cheaper to get a local guy and the bush guys need all the work they can get.
    DENNY

Call Rick and Denise Grant at Tikchik airventures. They rent rafts.
    really good people, they will take good care of your group.
    Fly alaska Airlines into Dillingham and ship in what you can not rent for raft gear

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    I'm leading a group to float one of the SW rivers (Togiak, Goodnews, or Kanektok). I know there are operators in Dillingham and Bethel. My question is does it make sense to fly from Anchorage to these areas in a bush plane? If so, are there any operators who provides this service? Also, some of our group may drive up and bring canoes. Can canoes be flown from Anchorage as an external load? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

You should check on this, but I think that the only passengers aboard a plane carrying an external load must be "crew members" required to handle the loading and unloading of that external load (canoes included). I may be wrong, but you should check on it before making any deals . . . . .

Good luck with your trip.

but I think that the only passengers aboard a plane carrying an external load must be "crew members" required to handle the loading and unloading of that external load (canoes include
    d)

Griz, Yes, as usual you are correct.

Gramps:
    Flying your own canoes out that far is not very cost effective. You might try calling John Hohl at Alaska Fly Anglers, Inc, Phone: 907-252-2868
    Cell: 907-252-2868 hohljohn@yahoo.com www.alaskaflyanglers.com

He does float trips out there and knows about how to stage gear.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Good suggestions. Thanks. Keep them coming.

Canoes are included on the Beavers type certificate. Why can't you carry passengers when the aircraft is equipped with something that is on its TC?

Also, a second big thumbs up for Rick Grant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by climbingprosaria View Post
    Canoes are included on the Beavers type certificate. Why can't you carry passengers when the aircraft is equipped with something that is on its TC?

Also, a second big thumbs up for Rick Grant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, I may be wrong, but I think a Type Certificate doesn't override Part 91 and an airplane's allowed use.

I'm not familiar with aircraft regulations and would never ask for a carrier to circumvent them. Obviously, safety trumps all other concerns. I have flown with Canadian bush pilots with canoes strapped to struts. I assume this is legal and safe. If it is not legal or safe, I would appreciate knowing it.

Dehavilland Beavers can carry passengers and canoes. Even 2 canoes!
    Just have to have the proper kit that I believe Kenmore Air Harbor makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearsnack View Post
    Dehavilland Beavers can carry passengers and canoes. Even 2 canoes!
    Just have to have the proper kit that I believe Kenmore Air Harbor makes.
    ...and have it in the air taxi's operations specifications. Call your perspective air taxis for what they can/can't do. Everyone on here is just guessing (including me). The regulations are more restrictive when flying for hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    ...and have it in the air taxi's operations specifications. Call your perspective air taxis for what they can/can't do. Everyone on here is just guessing (including me). The regulations are more restrictive when flying for hire.

While the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) may have changed over the years, I flew Alaska "for hire" for more than thirty decades. Those were the rules when I flew there . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more clear on that.
    Part 135 Air Taxis can carry passengers and canoes on DH-C2 aircraft that are properly equipped.
    Yes, it must be in the operaters part 135 Operation Specifications.
    Most operaters that fly a lot of float trips have this.
    No guessing here, I helped some of these operators get their Part 135 certificates and flew thousands of hours in their aircraft.

Thing is, most folks prefer rafts these days so you just don't see the canoes flying all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

While the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) may have changed over the years, I flew Alaska "for hire" for more than thirty decades. Those were the rules when I flew there . . . . .
    Thats a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearsnack View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more clear on that.
    Part 135 Air Taxis can carry passengers and canoes on DH-C2 aircraft that are properly equipped.
    Yes, it must be in the operaters part 135 Operation Specifications.
    Most operaters that fly a lot of float trips have this.
    No guessing here, I helped some of these operators get their Part 135 certificates and flew thousands of hours in their aircraft.

Thing is, most folks prefer rafts these days so you just don't see the canoes flying all the time.

Gotcha. I didn't fly Part 135, but only in my lodge and guiding businesses .............

[QUOTE=AK-HUNT;1504114]Thats a long time.[/QUOTE

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. I meant to say more than THREE​ decades ..............