Thread: Pac Rat Outfitter

Default Pac Rat Outfitter

I'm about to full the trigger on a used pac rat outfitter and am curious of how many inches of articulation the walking beam has. I hooked up the PR to my grizzly and the front wheels didn't want to touch the ground. Thought there would be more articulation of the walking beam. That or I need more of a drop hitch. Any other things I should look out for? Any recommended upgrades?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhh_poam View Post
    I'm about to full the trigger on a used pac rat outfitter and am curious of how many inches of articulation the walking beam has. I hooked up the PR to my grizzly and the front wheels didn't want to touch the ground. Thought there would be more articulation of the walking beam. That or I need more of a drop hitch. Any other things I should look out for? Any recommended upgrades?
    Thanks
    I've owned the same pac-rat outfitter since 2007. All I've had to do is repack the bearings on the wheels (finally did it for the first time before this season). And the bolts that hold the tub to the frame whaller'd out so they needed to be tightened.

Regarding your question the PR is not a "free wheel" walking-beam system. There is no bearing coming off the tub frame to the walking beam. There is a spindle welded to the frame and the walking beam slides onto the bear spindle. The walking beam hub has a plastic liner injected into the hub. This is what's called the "rat-flex" torsion system. So the trailer will sit level loaded or unloaded - meaning the tongue is not on the ground. The range of articulation is about 2-3" up and down so an arc range of 4-6".

My advice if you're going to get the PR is that for it to perform it needs to be loaded down heavy. The tub and frame weighs something like 300lbs so putting a whole moose in the bottom and some gear on top it will perform much better than if it's light. The weakest point on the PR is the spindles. I think they are 1,000 lb spindles. After 8 seasons with mine I'm starting to see some "bend" in the spindles and I'm looking to upgrade to 3500lb spindles and hubs.

Hope this helps.

I realized that was a lot of explanation that maybe didn't make sense. The best thing to do is to ask to take the castle nut off the spindle where the walking beam attaches to the cross member frame tube and see for yourself how the "rat-flex" system works.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    I realized that was a lot of explanation that maybe didn't make sense. The best thing to do is to ask to take the castle nut off the spindle where the walking beam attaches to the cross member frame tube and see for yourself how the "rat-flex" system works.
    I understand where your coming from. Nice to get a third opinion on the articulation of the PR walking beam. Talking with a guy from Plashem I got a better understanding of the rat-flew system and believe the molding is held up good on this PR. Only problem I can find on it is the front right wheel has a little wobble. I'll have to check and make sure the nuts are not loose, and or the wheel assembly is loose/bent. Excited about finally get a PR I've longed waited for.

I love my pacrat, it pulls like a dream. I barely know it's behind me.