Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoes??

Default Shoes??

Is it just me, or does other pilots have a hard time finding shoes to fly in? The CFI teaching my wife goes barefoot, I can see why as the back seater can have a tight fit when on the pedals, more sensory feedback maybe?

I was thinking maybe some sort of climbing shoe?
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I usually fly in Lowa ankle high hiking boots. Most of the year they do what I need them to in and out of the plane. Last weekend I wore my taller Lowa Hunter Extremes. My rudder and brake control wasn't so sharp. I probably could adjust if I used them more but being different made a difference. I often wear White's pack boots in winter. Braking isn't an issue and rudder is easy enough so no problems. If you subscribe to the idea that survival gear is what you're wearing now, your footwear choice is very important.

I wear what I want to be wearing after the crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    If you subscribe to the idea that survival gear is what you're wearing now, your footwear choice is very important.

Mr Pid:
    Do these look familiar?
    I try to buy Lowa's every time we go to Bavaria to visit the in-laws. These boots make my sore back feel better just by walking around in them.
    This is what I wear when flying in the summer or fall. Just in case I have a long walk....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Concur with AGL, would be flying in what I would be hiking out in. I have a specific pair of boots that are comfortable for me. But if flying around AK, I'd be doing in some sort of boots. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X3
    Flying in koflachs to bunny boots to sandals to waders has never been memorable either way personally. If I have skis on the wing Id likely wear ski boots. I don't believe shoe style affects airmanship but I suppose learning it'd be best to stick with the same shoes as much as possible..?

I forgot to slip on heavy socks and hiking boots on a drop off in the mountains the other day. Nervous flight honestly.

Edit- Bunny boots are pretty clumsy I guess but frostbite sucks more.

Johnny teaching her?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Is it just me, or does other pilots have a hard time finding shoes to fly in? The CFI teaching my wife goes barefoot, I can see why as the back seater can have a tight fit when on the pedals, more sensory feedback maybe?

I was thinking maybe some sort of climbing shoe?

My advice is similar to what the other guys have said. Fly out with what you want to walk home in. That goes for clothing also. Bunny boot or running shoes I still land like crap so I just put on the boot that fits the walk home.
    DENNY

I was speaking more for training and pattern work and understand the wear what you walk out in thing...

She is training in the L48 at an AG flight school.
    Founding Member

Alaska Bush Flying forums....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Alaska Bush Flying forums....
    I was seeking advice for me flying here at Fairbanks,, my wife is training also so we can fly together, but I will ask on supercub.org,

Thanks Sir, you always give such wise advice, sadden by this reply.

Steve
    Founding Member

For learning tender tail-wheel tactics around the airport, she probably could not go wrong with some cheap thin tennis shoes or deck shoes.
    At first I was thinking slip-ons, but I remember that I tried that with one of my daughters and she complained about the shoes feeling loose while doing the rudder dance.

Avoid the new slippers that look like feet. ( they have toes and everything) somewhat like foot gloves. I had a guy from out of state show up with some of those a couple months ago. He spent all his time dancing around and cussing as he stubbed his toes on everything.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    For learning tender tail-wheel tactics around the airport, she probably could not go wrong with some cheap thin tennis shoes or deck shoes.
    At first I was thinking slip-ons, but I remember that I tried that with one of my daughters and she complained about the shoes feeling loose while doing the rudder dance.

Avoid the new slippers that look like feet. ( they have toes and everything) somewhat like foot gloves. I had a guy from out of state show up with some of those a couple months ago. He spent all his time dancing around and cussing as he stubbed his toes on everything.
    Thanks Sir,, I ask because I was wearing running shoes until it got cold. When I started wearing my slip on boots they would try to come loose when I was doing the happy feet on final or trying to brake. One of the old planes I flew had something on the floor that would snag my heal.

I only made reference to my wife's instructor as an example.
    Founding Member

I'm firm believer in the "wear your walk-out shoes" theory....but

A few years ago when I was getting re-acquainted with tail-draggers (in Texas), I simply could not make my hiking boots (with my size 14's, snowshoes are often optional instead of required ) work in the -18 that I was learning in at the time. Easy solution was to switch to a pair of slip-on water shoes (i.e. for wearing in a pool or at a water park: elastic top, rubber walking sole bottom)...would have worked in a pinch for "walk-out" since it was pattern work at the airport.

- I second the caution of avoiding the "finger-type" shoes for the reason mentioned. I wore a pair of those driving a car and it may as well have been barefoot...not a good thing.
    - While running shoes, etc may be perfectly appropriate from a flying and/or an airport walkout perspective, I'm a paranoid sort of guy: what happens if one tumbles and prangs the bird? if it burns? Yes, one will likely have more problems to worry about but running shoes don't provide much physical protection nor burn protection. The appropriate balance of function vs. paranoia is called for, but that is something to think about.

At the end of every flight I get to man-handle a heavy 180 on soft tires on gravel. Hiking boots allow me to get the required traction to push the pig around. I wouldn't choose to use lighter weight shoes for any of my normal operations. When I just want to go burn gas after work I go home to grab my go pack and change into hiking boots. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. The day pack and a pair of boots are as important to me as the keys to the airplane.

I learned to fly in a pacer in hiking boots, so is she a pilot doing a upgrade or 0 time student. Consider a pair of marry janes (low top leather shoe) if staying in the pattern. I fly in soft leather shoes to bunny boots and really don't notice the difference. I know some people say they want to FEEL the rudder but I just asked two other pilots (guy and gal)and they both say boots. Small shoe heels can slip into and stick in the slot for the rudder peddle. I understand loose boots but your foot has to be in the correct position as you land if you have heel brakes you don't want to have to shift it. If she has small feet than a good fitting lace up leather shoe/military boot should work fine.
    DENNY

I'm a brand new pilot, learned last winter in a J3. I usually wore a set of Keen boots, figure feeling through boots was better than thin soles and numb feet. If you are looking for something thin to feel the pedals, try any of the minimal padding running shoes. In the summer I have flown in thick and thin soles and haven't noticed a huge difference in my flying, of course, I'm sticking to maintained runways and not pushing my limits. Ideally, I would like to find a pair of rugged but thinner soled leather boots for summer, the lightly insulated Keens worked fine for me last winter, toe warmers when really cold, and always carry pacboots in back.

While I understand the idea of flying in what you want to hike in, I've thus far gone with a compromise - flying with light hiking shoes or running shoes. I've flown once in heavier boots, and I didn't like the loss of sensation on the rudders. Maybe that's because I'm fairly new to tailwheel flying, but I figured it was worth focusing on flying better rather than hiking better. Besides, on most of my hikes I don't find the need for heavy boots. Even getting out in a survival situation, light hikers or trail running shoes are plenty capable of the varied terrain one finds in the backcountry so long as you're not packing 100+ pounds. At this point in my flying career, I'll stick with a lighter weight shoe. That said, I might sing a different song come winter ski flying.

Default Shoes??

Talking about shoes in a bush flying forum

Maybe you have found something that works already.

Wear what is comfortable for you. I wear trail running or light hiking shoes, mainly because that's what I like with heel brakes. I can hike anywhere with my trail runners. I'm not hauling anything heavy at that point and I don't need the ankle support.

In the winter, without brakes, I use either bunny boots or mukluks. But then I'm on skis and my main concern is staying dry and warm. If I'm just doing patterns I'll wear my trail runners, but beyond the airport I use real winter boots. I've flown with students not properly dressed shivering on final when the power is back. I'll look funny in my bunny boots and puffy coat but I don't get cold.

On another note, remember what you have in your pockets might be all you have to walk out of the woods or wait for help. Have basic survival gear on your person.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLow View Post
    Talking about shoes in a bush flying forum

Maybe you have found something that works already.

Wear what is comfortable for you. I wear trail running or light hiking shoes, mainly because that's what I like with heel brakes. I can hike anywhere with my trail runners. I'm not hauling anything heavy at that point and I don't need the ankle support.

In the winter, without brakes, I use either bunny boots or mukluks. But then I'm on skis and my main concern is staying dry and warm. If I'm just doing patterns I'll wear my trail runners, but beyond the airport I use real winter boots. I've flown with students not properly dressed shivering on final when the power is back. I'll look funny in my bunny boots and puffy coat but I don't get cold.

On another note, remember what you have in your pockets might be all you have to walk out of the woods or wait for help. Have basic survival gear on your person.
    Noted,, thanks Sir.

Steve
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast