Thread: Best chance of black bear hunting Fall from boat

Default Best chance of black bear hunting Fall from boat

Good Afternoon,
    What is everyone's recommendations for fall black bear hunting from inflatable. I have a 15 footer with cover that I would like to try. I have taken it out several times for halibut but never for bear. I would like to try out of whittier if possible. Is Seward a safe and better bet? How about Skilak? I understand fall is not the absolute best time and plan on doing the most hunting in the Spring. My boat is equipped with all the proper safety equipment. I really just want to go out and see some stuff. Thank you all for your time.

Give Cooper Lake a try... You can camp up there too if ya wanted. Easy, but small launch area.
    Slowly cruise the shores from 100yds out and glass...
    You'll see bears...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Give Cooper Lake a try... You can camp up there too if ya wanted. Easy, but small launch area.
    Slowly cruise the shores from 100yds out and glass...
    You'll see bears...
    Thank you for the info, I will do my research in the area. Harvesting a bear is not as important as seeing a bunch!

Is that the launch of snug harbor road?

Yes, it is now...........did not use to be, but is now. Take your registration Brown Bear tag with you also.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    Is that the launch of snug harbor road?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Yes, it is now...........did not use to be, but is now. Take your registration Brown Bear tag with you also.
    How about Whittier or Seward this time of year. Would be nice to hook into some fish same day.

Weather this time of year can get quite sporty and quickly. I personally wouldn't take a 15 foot inflatable out this time of year the distances you'll likely be heading to get into 1/2 decent bear country. Also consider taking enough supplies for a week as you can easily find yourself holed up that long when the weather kicks up this time of year.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.