Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Hunters Missing in Alaska...

Default 2 Hunters Missing in Alaska...

One off the Dalton Highway, one in the Petersville area. Hope they find them soon -

http://www.adn.com/article/20150914/...g-camps-alaska

Prayers for them and their families, it's pretty crummy weather to be lost in. Hope they are found soon.

No survival gear and NOT dressed for the weather..........lost for (6) SIX Days.........not good.

People spend the $275.00 to $299.00 for a PLB, the battery last five years, and tells those looking for you "EXACTLY" where you are with-in a few "FEET" and it does it in less than an hour. It also tells them what medications you require so they can bring them, your blood type, age, physical description, any medical issues. (PLB=saving your life)

If you don't care about your life.......think about the lives of those who are risking their life to find you.........or your body.

I rent a sat phone now days for my remote hunts.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Is that Petersville trapper creek or somewhere else ? They were not that clear on the news
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    ...think about the lives of those who are risking their life to find you.........or your body.
    This.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

But........do you have it in your pocket 24/7..........???? The thing about survival gear is if you can't reach it, it is useless. Leaving a sat phone in camp and not on everyone's person, does no good. EVERYONE should have a PLB on their body. The thing about the PLB is that if you become unconscious it is still broadcasting your location. And there is NO annual FEE.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I rent a sat phone now days for my remote hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    But........do you have it in your pocket 24/7..........???? The thing about survival gear is if you can't reach it, it is useless. Leaving a sat phone in camp and not on everyone's person, does no good. EVERYONE should have a PLB on their body. The thing about the PLB is that if you become unconscious it is still broadcasting your location. And there is NO annual FEE.

Yeah, I keep it with me. They're not that heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Is that Petersville trapper creek or somewhere else ? They were not that clear on the news
    Yes, they referenced Little Peters Hills

I always fell like I'm packing too much crap, then I read one of these threads...

I cannot over-state the potential benefits of a simple plb...personal locator beacon. Buy it, register it and carry it. My FastFind Ranger weighs about 5-6 ounces. No subscription. No cost after purchase. No texting, no email...no stuff to mess with. In an emergency you pop the antenna and push THE button. No worries about satellite phone signal strength or battery condition. No charger...the battery is 100% sealed in the unit. Mine stays with me anytime I'm far afield, and the best part is the knowledge that I have a final avenue of rescue if needed. $250-$275.

I find that I carry much less survival gear after owning the PLB.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I always fell like I'm packing too much crap, then I read one of these threads...

I carry my Delorme InReach everywhere I go in the fall...... Small, light and I almost had to use it once to save my life.

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    I cannot over-state the potential benefits of a simple plb...personal locator beacon. Buy it, register it and carry it. My FastFind Ranger weighs about 5-6 ounces. No subscription. No cost after purchase. No texting, no email...no stuff to mess with. In an emergency you pop the antenna and push THE button. No worries about satellite phone signal strength or battery condition. No charger...the battery is 100% sealed in the unit. Mine stays with me anytime I'm far afield, and the best part is the knowledge that I have a final avenue of rescue if needed. $250-$275.
    So it's not like the SPOT where you pay a monthly fee then?

NO.....fee.........PERIOD. ZERO. Not monthly, Not yearly, never. If you know what an ELT is to an aircraft, a PLB is the same to a person. https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...&hsimp=yhs-006

Thanks for sharing that. Now I'm gonna have to buy some for Christmas presents.

missing Petersville hunter found alive by trooper helicopter. no update on his condition, but he was found alive
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Spot is a yearly fee mine is $169 and my wife can watch me on the computer when I'm out in the field
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

He is very lucky.............http://www.adn.com/article/20150916/...tersville-area

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    missing Petersville hunter found alive by trooper helicopter. no update on his condition, but he was found alive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast