Thread: Savage model 16

Default Savage model 16

I saw one of these at a gun show a year ago and asked to handle it. Would have swore that I had a hold of a 22. That one gave me sticker shock because the tag on it was $749.99. Today I bumped into this one for 1/3 less money. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=507310626 .I had a fella stop by and paid me for wiring his new addition & garage so the timing was right.

I think $500 is a pretty good price on these. He had more of them in 308, 243 and 223 for the same price.

Nice lookin piece EKC!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have one in 223. Without a doubt the most accurate light rifle I've ever owned. In regular use for sod poodles in the Southwest, it shoots right with custom rifles and bull barrels my friends are using. They're shooting 22-250's, 220's and 20's, which supposedly have a lot more "range," but when I dope the range and wind right, I can hit as far as they can simply because it's so darned accurate.

Sure a lot nicer for packing a mile or two to a shooting stand, too. Really has my buds scratching their heads and looking at their own high-dollar guns. Best of all, it shoots well with about anything you shove into it. Cheap bulk factory loads shoot down around half an inch all day long. Careful hand loads shoot around 1/4", if you can imagine. Looks more than a little funny with a great big old 24X Redfield on it, but the accuracy and long shooting justify the big glass. Gotta keep that little wonder under lock and key, though. I'm not worried about strangers appropriating it. My shooting buds covet it with a passion!

It's been a while since I've had a Savage. I am kind of excited to get this one. I have always liked how the Savages look clean on the backside of the bolt...the bolt handle is the back end of the bolt, no shroud or protrusions.

We have a farm kid that shows up at the USBR shoots a couple times a year with a Savage 110E with a Choate stock. He usually outshoots the Coopers and 40Xses with it. He shoots cheap store box ammo. Because of that kid I took advantage of the opportunity to pick up a 110E in 30-06 last week. I only gave $200 for the old safe queen,if a 110E can be a safe queen. I cleaned it all up last night and it looks brand new. Heck, I have a bunch of '06 brass and a full box of 500 Palma 155 grain match bullets. I may get a Choate stock and then take the bench next to the farm kid. It would make him proud to know that he started a fad.

I'm kinda thinking from the number of posts on this thread that you are the only one in Alaska with one of these guns. That's OK! Your opinion is a good one as is "The Smokester's" from one state east of here.

It was 78 balmy degrees here at 6 AM this morning with a warm breeze out of the south/south east. The only thing that will keep it out of the 90's is a storm. Is that lightening that I see off to the west.....

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I may get a Choate stock and then take the bench next to the farm kid. It would make him proud to know that he started a fad.
    That's absolutely priceless! Stars by your name, EKC!

For some reason .....an obvious reason it does not bother me one iota if the farm kid out shoots me. However when the guys in the stuffed shirts get lucky and shoot a score 5 points above their average only to win by 1 point and then run their mouths about it then they'll get no congrats from me. My shooting ability peaked a couple of years ago. My hands are not as steady as they once were and recently I shot the lowest score of my career. It wasn't too painful as it is what it is. My eyes aren't as good as they once were and unless I had just pushed the truck out of the ditch or something my heart beat never made the cross hairs jump every beat like it does now. Some of my friends try to encourage me and tell me that I'm just in a slump and it will come around. Truth is I've lost my desire to compete. I love my guns, love to reload my own ammo and love to go shooting. These days I would rather be one on one with a coyote, deer or a half grown fox squirrel and no one know about it but me than to be at the bench with a bunch of good chaps and a couple of pecker heads and shoot my highest score ever. I have nothing to prove to anyone and it took me a long time to get to that point. I think this farm kid hatched out of the egg with that mentality and that's why I like him so well. It probably has something to do with why he is so low keyed and gracious when he bests a field of high dollar guns and thick wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    For some reason .....an obvious reason it does not bother me one iota if the farm kid out shoots me. However when the guys in the stuffed shirts get lucky and shoot a score 5 points above their average only to win by 1 point and then run their mouths about it then they'll get no congrats from me.....I think this farm kid hatched out of the egg with that mentality and that's why I like him so well. It probably has something to do with why he is so low keyed and gracious when he bests a field of high dollar guns and thick wallets.
    Gotta encourage a great kid like that, or sure enough he'll fall under the sway of that fat wallet/tiny self-esteem crowd. Too few like that kid coming up through the ranks these days, as his peers learn to idolize the current crop of TV "hunting" personalities. Wanna bet your fat cats think the poor guys on The Syndicate are great guys being persecuted by the guv'mint?

I've got a Savage model 12 in .308 which is just a varmint barrel stainless version. The action is so smooth it's downright disturbing to my friends with high dollar rifles. I cut the barrel down to 20" and recrowned it and it still shoots lights out. I've owned a few Savages over the years and never had a bad thing to say about them.