Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sportsman channel hunters charged for illegal hunts in AK

Default Sportsman channel hunters charged for illegal hunts in AK

Just in case anyone didn't see this. If true I hope they get punished to the fullest extent.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/sports...laska/35267488

Absolutely ridiculous...
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

Lol that'll teach ya to have a nice cub!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

We can only hope that justice prevails and they are found guilty on all counts and given the maximum allowance sentences!

Is it just me, or does there seem to be more of this sort of nonsense going on with respect to hunting channels and the like?
    Hunting seems to have become more about big money, tv production etc than just about getting out on the land and providing food for the family.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Is it just me, or does there seem to be more of this sort of nonsense going on with respect to hunting channels and the like?
    Hunting seems to have become more about big money, tv production etc than just about getting out on the land and providing food for the family.
    Yep- heard an interesting interview with Hall Herring and Andrew McKean... all outdoor media is becoming more egocentric. Lots more "I am a big swinging .... by killing the giantest critter in the deep dark woods" than "we chased some wild things in wild places we loved and had a great time" that was more prevalent in years gone by.

Sign of the times I reckon.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Yup, they've all gone the way of the BASS Masters and Whitetail archery shows. Not about the hunt, all about the hard rock advertisements selling the latest gadget. I liked the sheep videos the boys off the site here did, Proving Trail I think it was, and Billy Moles? does some DVDs that I've liked.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I've always found hunting shows in general to be an utter disappointment. "Today, we're gonna hunt some big whitetails." [cut to video of big whitetail in the woods] "There he is!" [alternate camera between big dear and big hunter about 3 times. (Hunter is wearing brand new and immaculately clean gear - obviously did little more than get out of a truck)] BANG! [Hunters laugh as they walk up to the deer] "He's a big one for sure! When we come back from the break, we're gonna shoot 5 more!"

Seriously, can't we get a hunting show that actually shows HUNTING, not killing?
    My signature is awesome.

To our Fans, Friends, Sponsors and Family,
    It is with a heavy heart that I write this letter to inform all of you of the unfortunate actions allegedly taken by former associates of Syndicate Hunting. The alleged actions taken by the two individuals is not a practice of or reflect the professionalism and respect we all have for the integrity of game hunting.
    Upon being informed by the authorities of charges against Mr. Clark Dixon and Mr. Lance Walker they were terminated immediately by Syndicate Hunting. Mr. Dixon and Mr. Walker solely conducted their activities without the knowledge of Syndicate Hunting and no other representatives of Syndicate Hunting were present during their actions. Syndicate Hunting nor the Managing Members of Syndicate hunting have not been charged with any illegal activities.
    The Managing team of Syndicate Hunting were assured that all permits, including film permits were in order. Unfortunately, this was not the case. The Management team of Syndicate Hunting accepts full responsibility for not confirming that all permits were issued.
    We at Syndicate Hunting have the highest regard, support and respect for the outdoors and laws and regulations for all game hunting and fishing. This is how we were raised and this is how we are raising our children. This is our way of life.
    Syndicate Hunting Management sincerely apologizes to our sponsors, fans, friends and families for this unfortunate situation. We appreciate your understanding and are working diligently to make sure this does not happen again. We ask that you stick with us and remain committed to the values, ethics and honesty that Syndicate Hunting represents.
    Sincerely,
    Michael Dianda
    Managing Director, Syndicate Hunting
    https://www.facebook.com/Syndicatehunting

I believe if found guilty of a Lacey Act felony, you become ineligible to own or process a firearm in all of the US

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    I've always found hunting shows in general to be an utter disappointment. "Today, we're gonna hunt some big whitetails." [cut to video of big whitetail in the woods] "There he is!" [alternate camera between big dear and big hunter about 3 times. (Hunter is wearing brand new and immaculately clean gear - obviously did little more than get out of a truck)] BANG! [Hunters laugh as they walk up to the deer] "He's a big one for sure! When we come back from the break, we're gonna shoot 5 more!"

Seriously, can't we get a hunting show that actually shows HUNTING, not killing?
    Meateater with Steve Rinella and Uncharted with Jim Shockey, are the two that I do like. MUCH more than piling up bodies. And on Meateater, Steve does a ton about preparing your game as well.
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmyles View Post
    Meateater with Steve Rinella and Uncharted with Jim Shockey, are the two that I do like. MUCH more than piling up bodies. And on Meateater, Steve does a ton about preparing your game as well.
    I like those shows as well, especially how Steve prepares everything he kills, mostly while still in the field. Just to add one more, in enjoy Solo Hunter. Remi busts his tail to get animals.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmyles View Post
    I agree- I like Meateater and Uncharted (the couple times I've seen it). I also really like Randy Newberg's On Your Own Adventures and Fresh Tracks
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by SLDMTN View Post
    I like those shows as well, especially how Steve prepares everything he kills, mostly while still in the field. Just to add one more, in enjoy Solo Hunter. Remi busts his tail to get animals.
    I agree. I especially enjoy solo hunter. It's seems genuine.

I'll have to give those 2/3 shows a shot. It's been a while since I've seen one, in all fairness. Got turned off from them at about college age, when I was missing hunting and looking to live a little vicariously through the Outdoor Channel. Couldn't believe how bad they were. Glad to hear there are better ones out there now and will give them a look. Thanks!

-And I have to say the response on FB from Syndicate Hunting is humble and sincere. I respect when a company actually accepts their share of culpability (on their part - not confirming permits, etc.) and apologizes. With our legal climate, companies hardly ever admit they did anything wrong even when they clearly have, and Syndicate appears to have done little other than take one of their guys on their word.
    My signature is awesome.

Mr. Dixon and Mr. Walker solely conducted their activities without the knowledge of Syndicate Hunting...
    Highly doubtful.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

"SYNDICATE"..... so exquisitely appropriate as a name in this case.

Although I doubt it will happen, I hope the eventual outcome is that none of these people can ever hunt in AK again. I hope the show dies a quick and unnoticed death. Straight-out criminal poaching, and the glorification of those engaging in it must be dealt with in a very harsh manner. I tend to be forgiving, but if this did happen as described then my forgiveness would be predicated on decades of passing time and many tens of thousands of dollars in fines...plus near-perfect behavior. Nasty bunch of trash which might be better off buried.....

Default ...hunter pleads guilty to federal violations in Alaska

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

http://www.newsminer.com/news/once-o...f3f3d9104.html

A contributor to a cable TV hunting show will serve 18 months behind bars for hunting violations committed in northwest Alaska between 2008 and 2014, under a plea agreement reached Monday.

Clark W. Dixon, 41, a former contributor to the Sportsman Channel show "Hunting Syndicate" pleaded guilty Monday to two felony violations of the federal Lacey Act, according to a written statement from the U.S. Attorneys Office.

Four others hunters featured in the show have also pleaded guilty since charges were announced in September. One, Randall Goza, of Wasilla, is scheduled to go to trial.

According to the case against him, Dixon committed several hunting violations in Noatak National Preserve, including pretending to be an Alaska resident to go on resident-only hunts, leading a client on a grizzly bear hunt without a guide and falsifying a hunt record to claim that a bear he killed was taken by his father.

Under the terms of his plea agreement, Dixon will not contest the government confiscating his father's STOL Quest SQ-4 plane that was used in the hunts. He's agreed to pay a $75,000 fine and forfeit rifles and bows used in illegal hunts, as well as 17 hunting trophies, including grizzly bear, Dall sheep and caribou.

Other hunters who were featured in the show have also reached agreements, according to the news release.

Dixon's father Charles Dixon, 70, was sentenced to pay $25,000 in fines and restitution to the Noatak Preserve, with the money directed to removing his illegal hunting camp from the preserve.

Clarence Michael Osborne, 53, of Madison, Mississippi was sentenced to five years of probation with a probation condition that he not hunt anywhere in the world. He was also sentenced to forfeit a rifle, grizzly bear and moose mounts from his hunt and to pay $81,000 in fines and restitution.

Fulton Wold, 41, of Nashville, Tennessee was sentenced to two years of probation. He must forfeit a rifle and moose and caribou mounts from his hunt and pay $8,500 in fines and restitution.

Terry Goza, 71, of Hazlehurst, Mississippi was sentenced to pay a $7,500 fine.
    Some of them certainly did get stiff penalties, they won't be doing that again.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

How about a new reality show. "Bonehead hunters who will never be allowed to hunt in Ak again."
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast