Thread: Worst nightmare

Default Worst nightmare

Well here i am with only days left in the season and everyone that thought they could go with me now can't. I have the DS 204 tag and now no one to go with me. So my choices are four wheel in by myself on the jarvis creek trail and try and find a ram but i have never been on the trail and dont know which way to go if i did find it. Or drive up and just try and walk in from the road and hope for the best. I would like to four wheel in but dont much like the idea of trying it solo and risking getting stuck or broke down. Now that i am desperate does anyone have any info on the trail conditions or even better is there anyone that is bored and would like to come along on an adventure. I am open to other suggestions if anyone has any ideas.

It was wet up here but has dried substantially in the past few weeks. It is getting cold too which is helping water drop. Jarvis is the lowest Ive seen it since spring. I know there is some soupy crap back there. If it were me I would just go alone. Let someone know where you're going and rent a sat phone. If I didnt have work and leaving for training this weekend I would gladly accompany you.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks for the reply I plan on heading up wed if nothing else pans out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

PM sent.....
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I ran into the same situation last year. Went in solo via ATV around the 1st - got my rear kicked by the weather, machine broke down, and thankfully was rescued (mechanically) by a member on here. Went back for the last three days of the season, and like you, I was concerned about going in deep again with the chance of ATV failure. Decided to walk in instead so that I didn't have to deal with my lack of mechanical ability. Turned out pretty well, as lady luck smiled upon me.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ntures-of-2014

Even if you just walk in, get out there and give it one last shot! Sometimes rams are where you least expect to find them.

Thanks for the info guys where do you get gas from after glennallen?

Quote Originally Posted by awwu View Post
    Thanks for the info guys where do you get gas from after glennallen?

Meier's Lake has gas as does Tangle Inn (20mi down the Denali) Paxson Lodge is closed.

Unless your rig has a tiny tank, you can readily make it from Glenallen to Delta on a tank of gas.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Ok I was thinking I would have to go delta to fill up before heading home.

I am sitting there now. Call me at this number 715 1150

We got some snow in the granites last night and a little frosting on top of donnelly. Temps have been consistently cool. Bring an extra layer.

I was wondering what the weather was like I talked to hawkeye last night and it was raining and mountains socked in. Can you see them now?

Light rain again today. Snow line was about half way down yesterday when I had a good look at them.

Just came out of that area two days ago after spending 6 days out in the field at our usual spot. We had the entire weather channel thrown at us during those six days from heavy rain, hail, snow, cold temps, sunny skies, and more. Upper Jarvis got hammered by bad weather which pushed out two sheep hunters who were pretty well geared for it.

Trail conditions: On the way in it wasn't bad at all. Didn't get stuck once and the trail was easily manageable. On the way out the trail had deteriorated quite a bit and it took a lot more effort to navigate it. My partner and I got off our wheelers about half a dozen times to check out the mudholes in our hip waders to find the best route. We both got stuck once and used winches to get out. If it stays dry for a couple of days then you should be fine, just take it slow and scout your routes through the deep mud. A winch is a must if it has been raining, and ITP Mudlite tires make the going much easier.

Animals: I can tell you what I saw but it'll have to be in a PM.

My opinion on a solo wheeler hunt in this area: Do it. You might get hit with "the suck", but that's just character building experience. Just tell yourself that you enjoy "the suck" and keep your spirits up. After all, any day in the field is better than a day in the office. Take a Spot or a Sat-phone in case your wheeler takes a dump on you or you drown it when crossing the Jarvis. Fortunately the water level in the Jarvis is still pretty low and you can see the bottom in the crossings. Give your wheeler a good look-over before heading out. I know of 3 ATV's that needed to be towed out in the last two years because of mechanical failures, and one that rolled off a mountain to its demise (don't forget to set your parking break and leave it in gear).

In a few years you won't remember the extra days you spent in the office, but you will remember a solo sheep hunt.

Good luck.

Pm sent flydaho

pm sent