Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gillnetter vs halibut sport fishing question

Default Gillnetter vs halibut sport fishing question

Had a pretty interesting situation occur in Southern Lynn Canal yesterday. We anchored on a spot in our 18' skiff out in about 250' of water for halibut around 11am after coho fishing. 12 o'clock comes around and the gillnetters start setting their drift nets. Most stayed in closer to shore, but one was working out by us. About 1pm I noticed he'd been drifting towards us and was still pulling and setting. He sets about 300 yards up current from us and lets it drift. I kept expecting him to hook back up and start pulling it but he was just floating letting it soak. By the time I realized he wasn't going to do anything he was about 100 yards out. We pull our lines in and start pulling on the anchor only to find out it's hooked up good on the bottom. Well, at this point I can't run up current because the nets too close so we're screwed. The net hits our anchor line and starts wrapping around the skiff. He comes out yelling at me that it's a drift net fishery and I shouldn't be anchored up. Then he turns around and goes back into the cabin and complains on the radio. Leaving us out there trying to figure out what to do... Long story short, I was able to pull his net up and feed the anchor line under his net, then it drifted under the boat. Had planned on buoying the anchor line off if that didn't work. He never came back out or said anything else.

My question, was I wrong for not pulling the anchor earlier and getting out of his way? I'm in a small boat so it's not a huge deal (pulling by hand sucks) to move it. His obliviousness was pretty shocking. Several at the dock told me I should have cut it, might have, but I wasn't armed.

He was oviously not paying attention or was looking to start an agument. As a professional fisherman he should have planned to avoid you. If you were anchored somewhere that you should not have been (which is not likely) he should have pointed that out to you before his net got anywhere near your boat. Chalk it up to him being a jerk and be glad you figured out how to avoid getting into a life threatening situation with him and his net.

I have spoken with a few dirft gillnet fishers in PWS and more than once they have offerd me a fish. Very nice of them and a pleasent experiance.

As an "experienced" drifter with 30years in the fishery. I'll say that I have dealt with anchored boats both big and small. U plan on them not moving and set accordingly. Yes it can be a pain, as well as bad for your drift. But wrapping a boat no matter what size is a bigger pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have every right to stay put and he needs to work around you. Do put your buoy out on your line though so people know you are stationary.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I would have cut that net in half rather than risk being capsized, I say you did him a favor.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with commercial fisherman but no one should be endangering other humans to catch a few fish.

Shame on you for not being armed!

We have the same situations come up in the Cook Inlet. Almost all of the time the commercial guys are very considerate and set their net accordingly. I have had some aggressive A__H___s leave them in wrapping up the boat but not recently.

What is the legal requirement in that situation??? Should the anchored boat pull up and leave or should the commercial boat set so as not to wrap the others boat?? I know what the friendly thing to do is.

Most of the fisheries I've been around, seine, troll, and charter, there is a small group within that group that loves drama, loves power, and loves to complain on the radio and be a victim when they create drama for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Most of the fisheries I've been around, seine, troll, and charter, there is a small group within that group that loves drama, loves power, and loves to complain on the radio and be a victim when they create drama for themselves.
    That's funny, I work in an office and we have the same group!

I'm such an obnoxious SOB, I'd have just stayed there and let his net come down on me, then got on the radio shouting mayday for the Coast Guard to come rescue me. Let him explain it all to them!

[COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]QUICK REFERENCE[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]Abbreviated Guide To Navigation Rules Of the Road[/COLOR]
    Based on the Navigation Rules International Inland (Commandant Instruction M16672.2D, 1999)[COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]DEFINITIONS [/COLOR](From Rule 3)
    Vessel Engaged in Fishing Any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls or other fishing apparatus that restrictsmaneuverability, and excluding vessels fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus that does not restrictmaneuverability
    Vessel Not Under Command A vessel unable to keep out of the way of other vessels because an exceptionalcircumstance is hindering its maneuverability (steering failure, engine breakdown, etc.)
    Vessel Restricted In Its Ability To Maneuver A vessel unable to keep out of the way of other vessels becausethe nature of its work is hindering its ability to maneuver (buoy tender picking up a buoy, vessel transferring persons,provisions or cargo while underway, etc.)
    Underway A vessel not at anchor, aground or made fast to the shore
    Give-Way Vessel A vessel that must change course or speed to avoid a collision with a stand-on vesselStand-On Vessel A vessel that must maintain course and speed except to avoid collision with another vessel

[IMG]file:///page1image10880[/IMG]
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]LOOKOUT [/COLOR](From Rule 5)
    Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout.
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]SAFE SPEED [/COLOR](From Rule 6)
    All vessels mustproceed at a safe speed atall times.
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]DETERMINING RISK OF COLLISION [/COLOR](From Rule 7)
    Every vessel must use allavailable means appropriate,including lookout (eyes and
    ears), radar and radio, to
    determine if a risk of collision exists.
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]ACTION TO AVOID COLLISION [/COLOR](From Rule 8)
    Action to avoid collision should be taken well in advanceof any potential meeting. Any course or speed changeshould be great enough to be obvious to any approachingvessel. Avoid a succession of small alterations of course.
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]NARROW CHANNELS [/COLOR](From Rule 9)
    A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede thepassage of any vessel navigating in a narrow channel orfairway.
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]TRAFFIC SEPARATION SCHEMES [/COLOR](From Rule 10)A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede the
    passage of any vessel following a traffic lane.
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]OVERTAKING ANOTHER VESSEL[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]RESPONSIBILITIES BETWEEN VESSELS[/COLOR]
    (From Rules 13, 18)
    To determine which vessel must give-way in an
    approach situation, it is essential to know the hierarchyestablished by the Rules:
    1st Vessel not under command or vessel restricted inits ability to maneuver
    3rd Any vessel being overtaken
    4th Vessel engaged in fishing

5th Vessel under sail6th Power-driven vessel
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]MEETING ANOTHER VESSEL HEAD-ON[/COLOR]
    (From Rules 14)
    When two power-driven vessels meet on reciprocal(head-on) or nearly reciprocal courses so as to involve therisk of collision, both shall alter course to starboard so thatthey pass port-to-port (except as provided by Rules 9, 10and 18)
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]CROSSING SITUATION [/COLOR](From Rules 15 and 17)
    When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as toinvolve the risk of collision, the vessel which has the otheron her own starboard side shall keep out of the way andavoid crossing ahead of the other vessel.
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]ACTION BY THE GIVE-WAY VESSEL[/COLOR]
    (From Rule 16)
    Every vessel n sight of another and required to give wayto another vessel shall, so far as posssible, take early andsubstantial action to give way.
    [COLOR=rgb(13.700000%, 54.100000%, 45.900000%)]ACTION BY THE STAND-ON VESSEL[/COLOR]
    (From Rule 17)
    When one of two vessels is required to give way, theother vessel (the stand-on vessel) shall maintain its courseand speed.

[IMG]file:///page1image36056[/IMG] (From Rules 13 and 17)

You must go slow enough toprevent a collision no matterwhat the conditions.

[IMG]file:///page1image38000[/IMG] Steady bearing anddecreasing range indicate arisk of collision.

A vessel that is beingovertaken shall keep itscourse and speed.

[IMG]file:///page1image40272[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I would have cut that net in half rather than risk being capsized, I say you did him a favor.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with commercial fisherman but no one should be endangering other humans to catch a few fish.

Shame on you for not being armed!

how would you cut the leadline ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    how you gonna cut the leadline ??
    Ok most of the net.

And it would still not solve the problem. In fact now you made it worse by parting the top of the net so when the guy started to haul back he would just be hauling on the leadline causing more damage to the net that you were responsible for causing.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

And it would still not solve the problem. In fact now you made it worse by parting the top of the net so when the guy started to haul back he would just be hauling on the leadline causing more damage to the net that you were responsible for causing.
    I'm not going to argue the details and nuances of a hypothetical situation. As I said, if I was in a skiff and someone wrapped it in a net I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep from capsizing, including cutting up as much of the net as I have to.

Why turn this into a sport vs. commercial battle? By the authors description he was being screwed with, why encourage that? When someone is willing to put another's life in danger over a few bucks I've lost any interest in supporting their job, I don't care if it's fishing, flying a bush plane or building a house.

I think both are to blame, a little forethought and open eyes on both sides and this wouldn't happen. The gillnetter could of towed part of the net around the anchored boat and the anchored boat could of run up on his anchor and tried to get out of the way also.
    I watched a guy anchor in the mouth of Main Bay when there were at least 100 gillnet boats in the bay and thought he was right and in nobody's way ! "Its my spot and i'm not moving". He moved.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'm not going to argue the details and nuances of a hypothetical situation. As I said, if I was in a skiff and someone wrapped it in a net I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep from capsizing, including cutting up as much of the net as I have to.

Why turn this into a sport vs. commercial battle? By the authors description he was being screwed with, why encourage that? When someone is willing to put another's life in danger over a few bucks I've lost any interest in supporting their job, I don't care if it's fishing, flying a bush plane or building a house.

"I'm not going to argue the details and nuances of a hypothetical situation." Me either !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I think both are to blame, a little forethought and open eyes on both sides and this wouldn't happen. The gillnetter could of towed part of the net around the anchored boat and the anchored boat could of run up on his anchor and tried to get out of the way also.
    I watched a guy anchor in the mouth of Main Bay when there were at least 100 gillnet boats in the bay and thought he was right and in nobody's way ! "Its my spot and i'm not moving". He moved.
    There is no excuse for a sport boat to plop down in the middle of an active netting area, we certainly agree there.

I watch a water skier fall down in front a very large (couple hundred feet?) barge on the Columbia last summer, I really thought we'd be plucking a body from the water. I don't know what goes through some people's minds. The county sherif boat tracked down those skiers in short order, don't know if they were cited but they sure should have been. There is an awful lot of water out there to fight over such tiny pieces of it.

Akrader was there an hour before the opener. He anchored far enough from shore that there was room for the other drifters to work past him. The guy he tangled with came out away from the other boats and set in such a way that he would drift right down on top of Akrader.

Tell me again why Akrader shares any blame.

There are definitely some A holes out there gill netting. I was out in my bright red Achilles this July anchored on my fav halibut spot in 40 ft of water. Gill net boats all over the inlet but mostly way across the bay. No one within a couple miles of me in any direction.
    I would fully expect that any giller who WAS fishing towards my direction WOULD be awake and attentive to his duties and maneuver his vessel and gear as to avoid sweeping into my anchored boat.
    I had no issue that day with the drifters but DID have one of those A holes from across the bay make a wide arc on his way back to port just to 'wake' my small boat by cruising about 100 ft away from my boat. Not a smart move FV Outlook. (I've sicked Karma on your boat.)
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Akrader was there an hour before the opener. He anchored far enough from shore that there was room for the other drifters to work past him. The guy he tangled with came out away from the other boats and set in such a way that he would drift right down on top of Akrader.

Tell me again why Akrader shares any blame.
    Assuming your referring to my post you need to re-read it, and the previous one. I said there is not excuse for a sport boat to plop, in general. I didn't say in this particular case.... In fact I said in this case they I think he showed great restraint in freeing his boat without shredding the net, I'm sure more than I would have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast