Thread: Russian, Quartz and Ptarmigan

Default Russian, Quartz and Ptarmigan

Hey Guys,

Leaving Saturday for a trip and was wondering how these rivers are fishing? I'm with a guide for the majority of my trip but excited to do some exploring on our off-days, and would like to hit a few of the above mentioned.

Thanks!

The Russian was good a few days ago - not GREAT, but good. Fished Quartz a couple times the past couple of weeks - water is VERY low and VERY clear. Caught a few, but pretty spotty. Haven't fished Ptarmigan and probably won't. We have been fishing the Kenai haard and doing well. I'd suggest walking in (Kenai) on the days you're not guided. Some of those walk-ins are super fishing, right now.

Gary,

Thank you! If im wading, what sections of the Kenai are best to fish?

Thanks!

I fished Quartz, Ptarmigan and the Russian over the Labor Day weekend. Quartz was pretty slow, but we pulled a few on fleshies. Ptarmigan and the Russian (towards the falls) fished very well. I would imagine, that both of those are pretty slow by now. Please report on your trip, as I'm headed to the KP in a couple of weeks.
    -R

Will do!
    Do the Russian and Quartz normally fish slower the farther into September you go? Was hoping to break away from the Kenai for a day or two and check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
    I fished Quartz, Ptarmigan and the Russian over the Labor Day weekend. Quartz was pretty slow, but we pulled a few on fleshies. Ptarmigan and the Russian (towards the falls) fished very well. I would imagine, that both of those are pretty slow by now. Please report on your trip, as I'm headed to the KP in a couple of weeks.
    -R

In my limited experience, once Quartz is done in Aug, then fish elsewhere. I have fished the Russian deep into Sep, and I would usually do ok. Plus, with the low-water August, I would think it would fish later than usual. However, I'm a no-talent hack, so I would not bank on my opinion.

How is the upper Kenai fishing?

Things were slow about 2 weeks ago (egg glut?), but last week the fishing was great.