Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear mauling

Default Bear mauling

Just read the trooper report. Mile 11 Funny River road area of Soldotna. Man was air lifted to the hospital. He was not carrying a gun or pepper spray.

"A 62-year-old Funny River man required a medevac Sunday after he was mauled by a brown bear on the Kenai Peninsula, according to Alaska State Troopers.
    In an online dispatch, troopers said Danny High was walking in the woods when the mauling occurred. Officials responded to the mauling at Mile 11 of Funny River Road, east of Soldotna, around 4:30 p.m. Sunday."

http://www.adn.com/article/20150913/...ka-bear-attack

channel 2 just announced that he has passed away from the mauling. 5:30 am

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    channel 2 just announced that he has passed away from the mauling. 5:30 am
    Sorry to hear this. There are way too many Brownies on the Peninsula, and not enough opportunity to legally harvest them.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Sorry to hear this. There are way too many Brownies on the Peninsula, and not enough opportunity to legally harvest them.
    I would say there's more opportunity than willing hunters...

I agree 100% and I don't know why hunters are not seriously hunting these Kenai Brown Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I would say there's more opportunity than willing hunters...

KTUU screwed up, he is alive in hospital in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I agree 100% and I don't know why hunters are not seriously hunting these Kenai Brown Bears.

I don't hunt them because I already have a large one hanging on the wall. I'm not going to eat a brownie so they are safe from me as long as they leave me alone.

I'd love to hunt them but I don't because...well...I'm an Ohioan....and....even though I hunt amongst grizzlies in Alaska every year...well....you know how this works. I'd gladly hand the state a thousand dollars for a NR diy grizzly tag and help trim the bear population by one now and then. Seems the only way I can help out is by giving blood.

Guess I'm going to have to go sight in the .375 yet this year.

I'd go chase them down if I knew the first thing about hunting bears down there.....

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I'd go chase them down if I knew the first thing about hunting bears down there.....

Shoot and release is one method.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I'm kinda in the same boat. Is the Funny River road within the boundary of the registration hunt?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

homerdave posted this earlier in a different thread: The refuge wo shut the hunt down when either 40 bears and/or eight adult females have been taken. Right now the score is 19 and two.

I can't imagine killing eight adult females per year will reduce the overall KP brown bear population at all. Especially considering the hunt will mostly kill boars and with them gone, more cubs should survive.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    homerdave posted this earlier in a different thread: The refuge wo shut the hunt down when either 40 bears and/or eight adult females have been taken. Right now the score is 19 and two.

I can't imagine killing eight adult females per year will reduce the overall KP brown bear population at all. Especially considering the hunt will mostly kill boars and with them gone, more cubs should survive.
    I thought the refuge/bunny huggers/greenpeace types had completely shut down brown bear hunting on the refuge. I despise calling it 'the refuge' when in reality it is THE KENAI NATIONAL MOOSE RANGE. Who gave those pukes the authority to change the name anyway?

I thought the refuge/bunny huggers/greenpeace types had completely shut down brown bear hunting on the refuge. I despise calling it 'the refuge' when in reality it is THE KENAI NATIONAL MOOSE RANGE. Who gave those pukes the authority to change the name anyway?
    Congress if I'm not mistaken, when they consolidated the various national lands into the current system.

Though wildlife refuge is quite the misnomer when the management practices reduce the habitat to old spruce forest and giant aspen stands...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I understood that the Refuge was open this fall to registration Brown Bear hunts. Do NOT hunt based on this post alone, do the required checking.

I live a couple houses down from Danny. He has walked his dog for years around our little loop. Seems very conscious and capable in the woods. Bears can be anywhere and any place. We have them around our cabin almost every night. That's the price you pay for being on the river and somewhat remote. Over he last choke years we have taken two out off our place. It doesn't seem to make a difference. There are up to six different bears sound our place within a week. Funny thing is last year we had zero. Might be from the fire or high water not sure. Either way it is a horrible thing that has happened and I wish Danny and his wife the best. Hope more people can harvest a few and lower the numbers

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    I live a couple houses down from Danny. He has walked his dog for years around our little loop. Seems very conscious and capable in the woods. Bears can be anywhere and any place. We have them around our cabin almost every night. That's the price you pay for being on the river and somewhat remote. Over he last choke years we have taken two out off our place. It doesn't seem to make a difference. There are up to six different bears sound our place within a week. Funny thing is last year we had zero. Might be from the fire or high water not sure. Either way it is a horrible thing that has happened and I wish Danny and his wife the best. Hope more people can harvest a few and lower the numbers
    Any word on how he's doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed signs up at all the trail heads on Swanson River Road which said that brown bear hunting was closed. I didn't read any fine print... which is where they always get ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast