Thread: What are CAPES Worth........ROUGHLY

Default What are CAPES Worth........ROUGHLY

Just curious as to "ROUGHLY" the value of different species capes...........???

Say in good condition and UN-fleshed.

Prices folks will pay for a certain capes is dependant on how badly one is needed.

I buy Sheep Lifesize & Capes
    Bou , Goat, Deer & Moose capes & Lifesizes.

ALL depends on Fur/ hair quality, Size, & condition cape is in , (Knife cuts , Bullet holes, Salted over meat, Ect.)

You can call me if you have one to sell .

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

How about a range. Let's say I did a real good job - best you ever seen, I kilt it with a .22 shot to the inner ear, skun'd it without no knife marks, got it cold quick, fleshed it so's you can eat off'n it, and then got it dried up and salted quicklike - How much for that?

If we know you did the skin job...? $20 for a full size muskox hide, and I pay for shipping. Sheep hide, whole body = $18.50 if you take c/c

I know it it had been worth my while to bring out the life size dall sheep capes from the two I've killed.

I'd prolly keep em for that price Larry!

I have digressed though - I don't have any hides except my griz at the taxi waitin on ruggin.

I guarantee that if I had a whole sheep hide I'd be keeping it and the wife can put it around me when they sink me down 6'.

Ha...LOL. yep

$250-$500 is the range I generally see. Some taxidermists will trade a European mount for a cape, which strikes me as a fair deal.

Sold a sheep cape last year for $400 shortly after season, know of a guy who waited to sell later in the winter and got $650.

I would buy one right now for $500. Cash , If I could find one.

Unfortunately several Sheep capes that come in have been shot in the neck or head, or have very bad cuts on the face from the rocks when they fell. Then they ask a top dollar price.

I have no problem paying good money for a skin but if it has a problem I will reduce what I am going to pay.

Also just because someone SAYS they fleshed the cape , doesn't meen it was done right, & could cause some real problems in the tanning.

That's why I would rather buy a Raw or Frozen raw cape & flesh it myself.

I also give More money for those capes, because I have been in the taxidermy business a LONG time & have been royally screwed over by a couple of guys that Thought they knew how to flesh a cape or that Knew it was spoiled when they sold it to me.

They don't get a second chance at that with me.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!