Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first Dall Sheep on my Second Archery Tag

Default My first Dall Sheep on my Second Archery Tag

DS 141 Eklutna lake. I missed two back in '10. So figures this year was a redemption hunt. Trained on flat top and riding my bike w a sand bag in trailer most of the summer and fall till hunt start date. Buddy and drew as a party. He accompanied me on my last ditch effort in '10 and filmed the misses.
    Short of the long story; since he's still hunting for his and I'll help him again if needed when we are free to hunt while tag is still open. Pretty small unit in schemes of things so not giving lots of info or pics showing terrain.
    Seen my ram after we got to where camp would be. We set up the tent and I spot a ram where across from where planned to hunt. Called him Plan B, and I touted I would kill that ram. After scouting and locating Rams till dark and putting them to bed. We arrive back to camp under headlamps and cook dinner and turn in. Rained off and on thru late morn. Arose at 9ish am. Cooked oatmeal and loaded snacks and spotted Plan B on the move. Watched him feed low and was curious about his routine since we didn't see him till late the prior day. We hike to where we put the Rams to bed to ofcourse see that they were not there. Not long after and picked up most of the Rams and few extra scattered all over in mostly inaccessible terrain especially from our perch.
    I was curious to know where plan b was since we lost track of him. After glassing some time I pick him up. Confirm in the spotter. Odd location for a bed we thought. He got eventually got spooked and worked his way towards us from a long ways out. Buddy said to watch him as he could come up a few steep chutes were a few tracks were prominent. Buddy was more interested in larger Rams. Plan B bedded below a very steep drop off. Buddy couldn't stand it anymore w a ram he liked bedded w another 500 yards or so away up into the nasty stuff. He took off, watching him i peak back over at Plan B and he's gone! I run the ridge looking. Picked him up feeding up a steep chute but stopped on a an outcropping. Pursuit was on. I drop down a rocky rounded face of the ridge. He spots me or atleast acts like he picked me up. I wait. Range him at 81. Draw back, peak over and had my peep on my 80yard pin, granted we were cold since we dropped a layer that was noisy n retaining sweat, so I was chilled and hands were cold. As I bring the sight towards the ram I hit the release trigger w too much pressure as I was settling everything in. It went whizzing past his rear end and he looked back and trotted off. I ran the ridge again and found him instantly bedded.
    Now, if I wouldn't have bumped the trigger and got on his lungs he woulda been a dead ram. Flight was good, just way left! Buddy comes down from his blown stalk. I motion him to stay low out of sight. We exchange stories. He actually got two shots off and both missed. We agreed long range shots in the mountains even w angle finder range finders wind, cold and other factors are just too risky. Especially at steep down/up hill shots.
    We watch plan b for a bit more. Decided I should try n drop down on him for a closer shot. He was bedded at over 100yards. Just as I take the first few steps over the nasty edge once I got to where I wanted to start, buddy says he's up n moving! Buddy moves ahead of my location as I work up. I had range finder w me and had him at 52-60 yards. Buddy shot under, I drew back and had put the range finder down prior to, I put 80yard pin on him since he had moved and shot under also seeing as he was probably over 100 yards. Plan B dove over the edge happily trotting away. Buddy dropped a spine down to the left. Plan B must have seen as he turned and went directly away. Plus wind was blowing from buddy to plan b. I ran the crags n edges staying out of sight and trying to figure if he will pop up or just stay low and trot. Trying to pick the right spine to drop was tricky. But even from caribou hunting, always seems you end up one behind. So I went a few more. Decide to descend. Navigating the crags and loose stuff quietly is not easy when fired up, plus I wasn't feeling cold anymore Hahahaha.
    I lost sight of buddy due to distance and terrain. I range plan b at over 300 yards and still dropping as he feeds. I keep goin down. He spots me it looks like. I stop. Lay back onto steep mountain side and have my bow infront of my face. He's acting jittery. He went back to my left side of the spine. I contemplate giving up as the more I drop the more I gotta climb back up Hahahaha. I drop a steep chute and made no noise. Peek down and he was feeding happily without a care it appeared. So I figured gotta go for it! I drop down quickly and every now n then pop up high enough to see from my side of spine to his and range him. Closing the yardage quickly I pick a spot and almost got to it Hahahaha. I range him and it read 30 yards. Trust your equipment. From buddies view it looked like I was way farther. I drop back, kneel down, draw back, anchor the FOB into the corner of my mouth. Nestle in the release tight to my ear.......... Stand up and boom! Plan B has me pegged instantly. But wind in my face.......I notice he's calm........ I don't have a 30 yard pin, split my 20 and 40 and eyeball it---- how I always do it at the range and 70 yard is the same for me. So....... I settle the invisible pin behind his shoulder and tad higher than mid body. Pressed the trigger on my release and everything felt great. Even better when I seen the arrow hit and sink deep. Plan B ran down into the steep swell off the side of the spine. Started to tumble and was down.
    I thanked the lord, took a selfie video, and just sat in awe at what just happened. Not knowing my buddy had took short vids of me or that he could even see anything. I couldn't hear what he was saying and had no idea he seen anything. I yelled, "killed it!!!" And my voice surprisingly carried well up to him as he was recording again Hahahaha. Drop down n took pics. Buddy was finally dropping over and I headed up to get my pack from him. Still over 1000' feet away I hear him yell, get your ram! It started tumbling as the soils were very loose. I had anchored a horn in but shoulda dug bed for him. It was steep couldn't manage him alone so that's why I thought the horn trick would hold. We watched in horror as he dropped another 1500' or more!!! But landed where it was easier to skin and such. He still slid a bit even then while working him. Safest way out was the way we dropped down! So up we go! Shot I guess around 8pm or later opening day. Did the work under headlamps and arrived back at camp around 3am!!! Dehydrated and hungry and we were about our of camp water. So we split it and ate a snack and crashed out. I was gonna drop down for water, but I heard wolves barking and my pack was soaked w fresh blood and I actually got spooked!! So I climbed back to camp w my tail tucked.
    Got water in the morning and we packed my ram out and I biked it as my buddy went back up looking for his prize. Wind and weather kept them in a nice perch tho. We shall return as a team and hunt for his. My buddy will chime in hahahahaha no worries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 09-01-2017 at 22:22.

Sealed him Friday as I went back up to hunt w buddy and hauled camp out as we were beat up, still dehydrated even after lots of powerade and I brought up some for him. Stayed another night and retreated as weather was not gonna be good and our bodies were trashed.

Aged at 6, almost 7 but Just couldn't place it fully. 29-6/8"/ 30" at just under 3/4 curl, bases were 14-2-8"/ 14-3/8". Granted I woulda liked to have a full curl plus like anyone but being archery, any ram tag, missing twice, I told buddy I was shooting anything with a penis! Totally stoked!!!! Big ole beast of a ram and I may have had a glimpse of him in '10 when I hunted my other tag.

Nice job Chris. Looks like a good time. Thanks for the writeup.

Congrats sir - a trophy to be very proud of!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Congratulations, nice story. Big bases for the age.

Thanks gents! Very happy w my choice and still in shock it all worked out

A well earned trophy, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Few more things to say: I went in with a head cold. The day u felt the worse was Monday. But i trudged thru and besides being snotty n doing farmer blows and trying not to cough when sheep were in view and tears were rolling from fighting the urge to cough, I sucked it up like a buttercup Hahahaha. On the way I got a blister, small one, but the trick I forgot to do was electrical tape. I eventually taped up both heals once camp was set up n before scouting for sheep for miles. The whole hunt I never popped the blister and each night it went away. This heal pic was Friday night. Not even sore to the touch, just red. I put a piece each time covering hot spot n a little past. Single piece but in the past I have layered tape to cover a larger section. Found this trick years ago on a mountain hunt for caribou and always have ele tape. Benefit is its not as sticky as gorilla tape, which I used on past sheep hunt just fine in '10. It's not rough, to bunch the sock or cause a blister around the covering. If my heal woulda busted open it woulda been painful.

Looked like a butt picture at first.LOL

Sounds like your buddy is a great dude!!

Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post

Yeah I'd be giving your buddy a hand to make sure he bags a sheep sometime soon if I were you!!!

Yes indeed I will help the buddy, try n try again for sure

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post

You aint lying! I'm rooting for the buddy to tag out now!
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Awesome!!! Congrats!

Way to go Chris! A sheep with a bow...that is a feat! I'm giving you a standing ovation!

Congratulations indeed. Any animal with a bow is worthy of mention. Sheep, doubly so! Thank you for sharing and I hope you washed that cape.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

There's a naysayer in every bunch, so I'll go ahead and be it so everybody else doesn't have to. In all seriousness, congrats on a sheep with a bow, that is indeed a serious accomplishment. But as far as the number of shots taken and the yardage, I am going to pull the "ethical" card and ask how you feel at all responsible and OK with yourself taking shots like that at such ridiculous ranges? You sling a couple of long range arrows, and thankfully or luckily miss completely, you decide that long range shots are "too risky." Then right after that, your buddy lobs another arrow, and you toss another one at 80, but hey, the ram was probably over 100, so that was low.
    And before that when you "bumped" the trigger you say "the flight was good, just way left." What does a "good flight" consist of? I consider a good flight one that is true to the target.
    I think a guy should know his limitations, and at 30, you drilled it. Sure, you probably say you are capable at 80, but your own self told story says you aren't. It always pains me when I see stories like this, because I think the animal deserves more respect that what you have given it. Not to mention it might encourage others to take shots that have low probability of killing and high probability of wounding. The amazing thing here is that you two managed to miss so many times without putting one into the guts or elsewhere.

Anyway, I truly congratulate you on an archery ram, as it is quite the feat, I just hope that next time you strive for that high probability shot you killed it with rather than the previous reckless ones.

Yes I'm a good shot to 80yards. No more shots taken after I messed except for the kill shot.

The tigger bump shot, by true I meant if I didn't bump it accidentally and fully got on target behind shoulder it woulda been a lethal shot. At the hight it fly by past the Rams rear end, elevation was dead on, just I wasn't even on ram yet, hence the way left miss.

Shooting long range at steep angles w wind is doable w the gear we had. Just after talking we decided it's risky is all. When we missed other shots low, wind age was good. Wether we dropped bows to quick or yardage was off we don't know. My last 80 yard guess was just that, had put the rangefinder down n knocked arrow thinkkng I would shoot at 60. But it moved, and in the moment like that, truly no time to let down. Grab range finder and then redraw. Luckily that shot spooked him off the more easily huntable side.

I hear Ya man. No hard feelings Hahahaha. But sheep hunting w a bow is crazy!!!!!!! One more tag to try n fill.

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    There's a naysayer in every bunch, so I'll go ahead and be it so everybody else doesn't have to. In all seriousness, congrats on a sheep with a bow, that is indeed a serious accomplishment. But as far as the number of shots taken and the yardage, I am going to pull the "ethical" card and ask how you feel at all responsible and OK with yourself taking shots like that at such ridiculous ranges? You sling a couple of long range arrows, and thankfully or luckily miss completely, you decide that long range shots are "too risky." Then right after that, your buddy lobs another arrow, and you toss another one at 80, but hey, the ram was probably over 100, so that was low.
    And before that when you "bumped" the trigger you say "the flight was good, just way left." What does a "good flight" consist of? I consider a good flight one that is true to the target.
    I think a guy should know his limitations, and at 30, you drilled it. Sure, you probably say you are capable at 80, but your own self told story says you aren't. It always pains me when I see stories like this, because I think the animal deserves more respect that what you have given it. Not to mention it might encourage others to take shots that have low probability of killing and high probability of wounding. The amazing thing here is that you two managed to miss so many times without putting one into the guts or elsewhere.

Anyway, I truly congratulate you on an archery ram, as it is quite the feat, I just hope that next time you strive for that high probability shot you killed it with rather than the previous reckless ones.
    Settled in at 80 is doable when you strive to succeed and shoot quite often as practice. With low wind conditions; it's an easily doable shot. All things considered, I agree 80 is far; however it is a shot i would take with proper practice.

Hopefully it encourages others to see how hard it is and to practice to such distances if they are willing to take the shot.

Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast