Thread: Sept Halibut- Off day. Broken gear, Lost fish, Mushy butts.....

Default Sept Halibut- Off day. Broken gear, Lost fish, Mushy butts.....

Fished Whiskey Gulch Friday. What a strange day. But first a few general observations and I want to see if it correlates to what others have experienced.

September I generally consider the last month of decent halibut fishing in the Inlet. Our observation has been there are a fewer fish. In general the fish are smaller. BUT it seems like everyone has a big fish story. Last week it was my sons 60 pounder (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...off-his-kayak!) Also after avoiding the mushy halibut all year, I got at least two of them that I am almost sure were the mushy halibut. Covered in sea lice. Slightly discolored bellies. Soft to the touch. I have heard reports from other kayakers they have had more mushy halibut. What experience do others have for Cook Inlet butts in September?

The day starts off with my buddy breaking a rod. Bummer. I break a harpoon shaft. But the heart breaker was breaking a large swivel off a spreader bar. Who knows how big that fish was. 30 pounds or 300, you just can't tell early on in the game. So the lesson on the swivel is you can't expect to open and close snap swivels several dozen times and expect the metal not to fatigue. I tie up extra leaders and when I catch a fish, I typically just remove the leader and put a new one on so I can get the bait back down ASAP.

Sure your gear might not fail you all year, but when it does fail, it is likely to be on a really big fish. Lesson learned. Will replace everything that has gotten a lot of use.

Broken Swivel:

Not the best video but got to have one for posterity's sake. Did manage to redeem myself with a 40 pounder plus at the end of the day..

Here's the video:
    https://youtu.be/kUsuKdp0ZSA

Ugh.... Just one of those days. We've all had them, but that doesn't mean they're any easier to take.

Any reason to use those snap swivels rather than cork screw swivels? In over 40 years I've never had one fail, and they can get pretty nasty looking after years of use. Just keep on ticking.

Yes I only use the corkscrew swivels.
    I broke a snap swivel in a big butt years ago. Switched to the corkscrew s and never looked back.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Ugh.... Just one of those days. We've all had them, but that doesn't mean they're any easier to take.

Any reason to use those snap swivels rather than cork screw swivels? In over 40 years I've never had one fail, and they can get pretty nasty looking after years of use. Just keep on ticking.
    +1 on the bad days and the cork screws.
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Yup. Great advice. The swivels just came on the spreader. Plenty strong when new. I just never imagined it would become the weak link using 50lbs test. Arghhh.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.