Thread: Hewes 22 Ocean Pro observations

Default Hewes 22 Ocean Pro observations

So I've got friends in town that rented an Ocean Pro for 3 days. They fish with me on occasion but also wanted to branch out and give it a go on their own. They decided to take me fishing for a change-up and I gotta say I wasn't impressed with the boat. Compared to my older 24' Alaskan it's a huge difference than just the 2' length difference and here's why:

1. Seating: for some reason Hewes in the newer models raised cabin roof (headroom) height but lowered the seat heights for the capt/co-capt.
    You feel like you're about sitting on the floor and straining to see over the bow. In fact we drove the boat on one knee on the seat. The seat boxes are half the height of mine which takes away a ton of storage. I'm not short at 6' but it was a constant pita.

2. Seating: had factory light weight suspension seats; bottom out on every wave and noisy. I've got good quality standard non-suspension seats and they work fine at 1000 hrs a year. Imo if you're running a boat in this size range adequately, they're unnecessary (my boat tells me if I'm running too hard or aggressive, if it's uncomfortable for me and passengers, I don't want to compensate with suspension seats and beat her). You can control virtually every sea state & condition with correctly sized trim tabs btw. I did have better suspension seats on the 28' Koffler I had running out of Whittier, still didn't like them.

3. Power: single 150 pretty disappointing. 3 guys, full fuel and geared up for the day max 22kts at 5200. I checked the prop, 15" pitch which should have given more like 5500 easily; just not enough hp. Would stall big time in following sea & trough. The boat wants & needs 200hp.

4. Wipers; not sure why they didn't increase wiper blade length to accommodate tall windshield?

5. Even though only a 2' length difference, a completely different ride. More abrupt and harsh than mine. Fortunately for me, my boat was bought new originally by Spoiled One on here and I had his take on how much he liked the 24' so I bought it without a sea trial.

All of the above can be fixed except hull length (see below); that being said I don't think I'd be happy with the 22', my 24' has easily a third to almost twice the deck space, is adequately powered, and rides completely differently. There are typically more 22's that come up for sale compared to the 24-26's so if I had to I'd stretch a 22', not as daunting as it sounds. Friend of mine stretched his 26' to 30' in the mid-section; completely improved the boat in every way; fuel economy with the same twin 150's, speed, sea manners, and an additional 4' deck space? Heavenly considering he charters the boat year year round.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Hmmm. Well I can say that my 2200 SeaRunner was a better boat than my 18' Arima, my 2400 SeaSport was better than my 2200 SeaRunner and my 26' PC is better than any of my previous boats. 2' does make a difference. Under powering a boat is probably the biggest mistake someone new to the boating world can make-at least before they actually start boating.... My current boat has a Yami 300-which has more than enough ponies but is not the way 95% of the folks configure the 26'-with twin 150s. I'm not sure that a single 150 would get me up on step with the number of passengers and gear we usually carry so I went with a big single and a big kicker (25). Every boat has it's trade offs. I'm still working on what those are for my present boat. One thing I do know is that my wife has told me not too look too hard as this is my last boat......
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

So how do you like the 300? Got fuel numbers? I considered a single 300 but couldn't justify the cost vs the screaming deal I got on used low hour 115's and I was already set up for twins. I'm thinking my fuel use might've been similar but maintenance cost of a single motor plus lower weight on the boat would have been nice. I hear ya on the constant upgrade in rigs, it all started with a 12' Sears and 9.9 Evinrude in the 70's.
    I'm fortunate to have the 24' as my primary business as it's allowed me to have more time on the water than otherwise possible. If it weren't the case I'd have a small Arima, C Dory, Hewes, etc. and make the most of it.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Jim-we love it. Mid-range power is incredible. Need to warn folks before dropping the hammer.... Hole shot isn't shabby either. With a full tank (156), 4-5 folks and all our gear we're getting about 2mpg. She likes to run at between 4500-4800. I've done WOT a couple of times but when she goes over 40 I back off as that is faster than I need to go on the water... One other reason I like the 300 is the Command Link Plus and the fly by controls. Have 't seen any other PCs with the 300 but one Alaskan. I've had twins before and love the sound and low speed control but this setup made the most sense to us.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

What year was the OP that they rented? Was it an extended transom model? I bought a 2015 220 OP this year. I flat out love love it. It has the upgraded bellows seat new as of this year and they are awesome - would not go without them. I also had Deweys put a 250 3.3L yammie on it. 44mph at 5900rpm. I don't have any problems in troughs or following seas as far as power is concerned. The boat, bow to the rear of the extended transom is 24'-3", without the anchor bow roller or motor sticking out the arse.

I am 6'4" tall and can just barely stand up in the center of the boat. My wipers do get the majority of the window, but I would rather have a forward slanting front bulkhead I think.

We upgraded from a 180 searunner, the new boat is about 5' longer and it was a huge huge improvement. Cost was 4 times more too.

I averaged 3mpg over the entire course of the summer with the 250. 72 hours so far. MPG was calculated with kicker time also and we did a fair amount of trolling and also break in (ie. the kicker does not total up in the Yamaha gauges when it is running and I used GPS tripometer and actual fuel pump gallons to calculate).

It is not fair to compare an Alaskan to the Ocean Pro - they are two different boats. Look at the specifications from Hewes for each boat. The Alaskan is much more boat than just added length.

The 24 ETHT RLC is 26'-5" long, has a 102" beam, 30" depth, 42/25/15 degree hull, 36" height rear deck and weighs in dry at 3600 pounds.

The 220 OP is 24'-3: long, has 102" beam, 30" depth, 35/20/14 degree hull, 35" height rear deck and weighs in at 2400 pounds dry.

Think the 250 would be awesome as you're getting somewhere quickly and economically. The 150 just isn't nearly enough in the trough.
    How is your seating height? I just can't figure what the reasoning was for raising cabin roof height and lowering the seat?? Enough so it's difficult to see over the bow (logs, kelp, etc).
    My 24' is an early model (1999) and has the 3/16 bottom so I don't know that the overall hull comparison is that far off except for length?
    Not sure the year of the rental model but sounds like you definitely have the better seats.
    I'll verify today but my deck is about 9' long, the 22' deck was about 5' I think, will check that too. Does have the extended transom.
    Also to be fair mine has a real deal 160 gal tank that begins about even with the capt seat and when loaded with fuel its a dream ride. I say "real deal" because I've had a few tell me (including the genius sales guy at Deweys) that Hewes never put in that size of a fuel tank in an early '24. I have pics of the tank tag from the mfg. when I replaced my deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Also to be fair mine has a real deal 160 gal tank that begins about even with the capt seat and when loaded with fuel its a dream ride. I say "real deal" because I've had a few tell me (including the genius sales guy at Deweys) that Hewes never put in that size of a fuel tank in an early '24. I have pics of the tank tag from the mfg. when I replaced my deck.
    And I will corroborate that. When I filled that tank the first time, fuel was only about $1.25 a gallon. Great little boat!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

My seats adjust up and down for height. At full height, they could be a little higher. We keep them at full height all of the time and often we put a throwable floation device under us to get higher. I agree they could be higher and the added storage the old type seat box had would also be nice.

Now if I can figure out where to put the electrodyne that is sitting in the garage..........