Thread: Halibut limit

Default Halibut limit

Will be in alaska next month. Just heard that there's a new size limit for halibut and slot limit for lings? Can anyone provide some insight?

Halibut 2/day 4 in possession, no proxies.
    Lingcod
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . July 1–Dec. 31 . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 per day/2 in possession

must be at least 35” long with head attached or 28” from
    tip of tail to front of dorsal fi n with head removed
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...l/07SCsalt.pdf

Hope this answers your questions.

Those sound like South-Central regs only.

To the O.P. - Where in AK are you fishing? Guided or un-guided?

NOAA issued the order that all guided halibut anglers may still keep 2 per day with 4 in posession, but if 2 fish are retained, one must be under 32". Also, 'butts may be filleted at sea, as long as the whole carcass is retained until landed ashore (so they can measure if they wish.) This is a Federal regulation, and applies statewide.

Lings vary by sub-region and are regulated by the State. Near Juneau & Sitka, there's an over 30" and under 35" slot limit for non-residents AND guided anglers. Also, Ling season is closed from June 15 to August 15.

Non-pelagic rockfish have a 2 per angler and 4 fish annual limit for non-residents... only half of non-pelagic rockfish retained may be yelloweye, and get this... ALL non-pelagic rockfish MUST be retained (regardless of size, etc.) until the bag limit is met.

Want something a bit easier to fish for? Sablefish aren't regulated for sport fishermen.... yet. ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Where

It helps if you say where in Alaska you are going to be. We have different zones or areas with different regulations.

Are you going to be in Dutch Harbor, Anchorage, Juneau, Sitka. Some idea of within 150 miles helps. It is a very big state!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default 32 inches!?

According to the standard length/weight chart for halibut, a 32-inch halibut weighs in at a massive 14 pounds.......

A chicken in every pot....

Where does this regulation apply? My guess is that if NOAA issued the reg, it applies range-wide. That is, everywhere halibut are caught.

The one halibut under 32 inches applies to the southeast, not the entire state. If you are fishing Seward, Homer, Deep Creek and Whittier, it does not. They have restricted the charter captain and crew, if any, from fishing and retaining halibut while chartering.

oops.. i will be fishing the seward area and kachmack bay with a charter.

Default Here it is......

Bill S. is correct. Here is the Federal Register notice outlining the proposed regulation change.

http://209.112.168.2/prules/72fr17071.pdf The ruling starts at the bottom of the first page.

The length limit is for SE Alaska (south of Cape Spencer light). As I understand it, the regulation is being proposed, but is not final. NMFS was taking public comments until April 2007. I haven't heard of a final action.

This reg change comes on the heels of a recent attempt to cut back on the limit from 2 to 1 fish per day. I'm not sure this is any better. A 32 inch halibut is about 14lbs. Does anyone pay a charter $200/day to catch a 14lb halibut? I certainly would not. The fact that the other halibut can be any size really doesn't help. You might as well impose a one-fish daily limit. The charter boat operators in Sitka should take notice......
    Last edited by Cohoangler; 06-26-2007 at 12:38. Reason: clarification

Believe me, charter operators here HAVE taken notice.
    The action has been made final for area 2C (SouthEast) and the under 32" action is one that's in the final stages of consideration by the NPFMC for implementation in 3A for next year.

As for the chicken comments, sorry... but to me, a 15 lb. fish is NOT a chicken... it's called a "ping pong paddle". Fun for the kids, but hardly worth dinner for my family. Oh well... sablefish aren't (yet) regulated... Better go fill my freezer before anyone notices how effective my one line with one hook is at wiping out a species! ;-P

-Case

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    Bill S. is correct. Here is the Federal Register notice outlining the proposed regulation change.

http://209.112.168.2/prules/72fr17071.pdf The ruling starts at the bottom of the first page.

The length limit is for SE Alaska (south of Cape Spencer light). As I understand it, the regulation is being proposed, but is not final. NMFS was taking public comments until April 2007. I haven't heard of a final action.

This reg change comes on the heels of a recent attempt to cut back on the limit from 2 to 1 fish per day. I'm not sure this is any better. A 32 inch halibut is about 14lbs. Does anyone pay a charter $200/day to catch a 14lb halibut? I certainly would not. The fact that the other halibut can be any size really doesn't help. You might as well impose a one-fish daily limit. The charter boat operators in Sitka should take notice......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default NOAA Regs

Cancan,

The following is directly from the NOAA website:

Regulation language proposes the following change to regulations at 50 CFR 300.65 for anglers fishing from a charter vessel in Area 2C only:
    • Charter vessel anglers would be allowed a daily bag limit of two halibut per sport fishing client on a charter vessel operating in Area 2C provided that at least one of the two halibut retained is no longer than 32 in (81.3 cm) with its head on. If only one halibut is retained by the sport fishing client, it could be of any length. Note that a charter vessel is a vessel used for hire in sport fishing for halibut, but not including a vessel without a hired operator.

• Charter vessel anglers would not be allowed to possess halibut on board a charter vessel in Area 2C that has been mutilated or otherwise disfigured in a manner that prevents the determination of size or number of fish. Filleted halibut may be possessed on board the charter vessel provided that the entire carcass, with the head and tail connected as single piece, is retained on board until all fillets are offloaded. This requirement allows enforcement officers to determine the size of landed halibut.
    The requirements for possessing the carcass are only for Charter Boats and are only for Area 2C. They are not statewide.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

TriIron-

Thanks for the quotes. 50 CFR part 300 was modified and finalized June 4. Odd that it took effect as of June 1, but that's government for ya! It's also available on the ADF&G website. They posted it along with the State's EOs for informational purposes. Thanks for the clarification regarding region. It's not statewide... yet.

The under 32" measure is also on the list of final NPFMC recommendations for possible/probable implementation in 3A for 2008 (I think I said this already).

It all bugs me a bit, since my personal boat IS a charter boat, and I use it often for both purposes. If I'm out fishing personal use with my family, the under 32" regs don't apply, but the big green stickers (and the fact that everyone in SE knows my boat) are still there, and it sure LOOKS like a charter boat hauling in eight 65# fish. Sure, I have a perfectly valid explanation for the brown-shirts, but it's a PITA to explain it to everyone on the dock who's interested.

While I'm at it, can anyone explain the logic behind the number of lines fishing may not exceed the number of paying clients aboard? It basically prohibits my friends/family from coming out to fill open seats. If I have 1 client paying for the trip, why can't a buddy come along as a non-comp? Okay, he can come along, but if he doesn't share a "significant portion" of the expense of a client, he can't fish. Now, we're already limited to 6 clients fishing on any boat here.... 14M pounds of mortal bycatch in the trawl fishery seems like a MUCH better quantity of fish to go after vs. sport/charter/subsistence's 7M pounds...

Unregulated sablefish charter anyone?

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

While I'm not anti-commercial fishing, it is greed plain and simple on the part of the comms. They get an increase in their allotted catch of halibut, and then they want to curtail the catch of charters.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    While I'm not anti-commercial fishing, it is greed plain and simple on the part of the comms. They get an increase in their allotted catch of halibut, and then they want to curtail the catch of charters.
    It's also been mentioned that the "GHL" has never changed since it was established. If it's biologically necessary to reduce halibut harvest, I don't think anyone would be upset if the catch reductions were done across the board. When the halibut stock is in good shape, the commercial boats get to harvest more... why can't the GHL increase proportionally as well?

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default 4 halibut

Along the same lines-I understand I can have 4 halibut on the boat/person fishing (not charter) out of whittier as long as I caught 2 on 2 separate days? I would expect this if I understand the regs correctly on possesion.

Default Way

That is the way it has been. Our trooper in Valdez does not mind you filleting the fish as long as: "The fillets are kept whole so that the number of fish can be determined." In other words: finding 12 fillets in you cooler means 3 halibut have been caught.

If he finds 57 different sized pieces = $110 or more.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Commercial fishing

I hope you guys don't let what happened down in Florida happen up there. The commercial guys raped and pillaged and the charters and sports fishermen just gave up for the most part; it's not even worth going out anymore. You can keep one trout if it's between 18" and 19" and it's on a Tuesday with a full moon and you're wearing green loafers. Too much BS for my liking. I know everybody has to make a living but good sence and the overall good of everybody should be considered, not just a few license holders.