Thread: Homer/Seldovia information needed

Default Homer/Seldovia information needed

As this year starts winding down it is time to start planning for next year. As my family grows it is time to look for new opportunities. I am looking for info on cabins or B&B's in Homer or Seldovia area that would accommodate 6 adults and 2 kids (3 and 6). It is a single family so we are not shy nor need a lot of private space. We have stayed at Halibut Lagoon state cabins and enjoyed it. It is nice have the dock for boat friendly access but it is a bit of a slog to fishing each day and coming and going at low tide is challenging at times. If I don't come up with a better idea that is the way I am leaning. I need to start thinking about next summer cabin reservations in a few months. I am looking for something that is boat friendly and easy to access.

Are there any boat friendly and affordable accommodations in the Seldovia area? Even rustic B&B's would be good. It seems the ones I find are geared to an out of state vacation experience. With just my wife and I we like the Seldovia boat harbor and just stay on the boat. That is not happening with the entire family on a 24' Tolman. I would have no problem getting transient dock space and walking if it was fairly close.

I look forward to any suggestions you might have. I am also interested in thoughts as to dates to maximize fishing options in the area. I am planning on 3 nights at this time. I fish out of a 24' Tolman and usually fish Homer once per summer and the rest in PWS or Resurrection Bay. Ken

Maybe Otter Cove Cabins? http://www.ottercoveresort.com/cabins.htm

I've never stayed there, but I have cruised by many times. It seems like they are easily accessible...

Quote Originally Posted by mbarth View Post
    Maybe Otter Cove Cabins? http://www.ottercoveresort.com/cabins.htm

I've never stayed there, but I have cruised by many times. It seems like they are easily accessible...
    Thanks a lot. That seems like what I was looking for. Ken

Just an FYI the Halibut cove lagoon dock is out of commission indefinitely.
    One of the pilings rusted off.
    I wish I could help with the cabin but I usually stay on the boat when in halibut cove itself or in Seldovia.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Check out Porters's cabins on Hesketh island. Good moorings and an awesome sauna!
    http://www.portersak.com/
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I'd second Porter's cabins, my family of 4, and my brother's family of 7 stayed in a pair of Zach and Becky's cabins last summer, had a great stay... Cabins are clean, have water for dishes and drinking, and propane lights and stoves, moorings are super solid and pretty protected, and like Dave said, awesome sauna that Zach comes over and starts every evening (I think he still does that part).
    Watched about a half dozen whales in Eldredge passage playing around while we sat around the campfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't advertise on this site, but since you have asked, www.betweenbeaches.com or look us up on VRBO dba Between Beaches.

Porter's Yep! I wanna stay there
    The Sea Star cabin up on the right in Tutka Bay would be awesome if on a budget, gorgeous up there. Tutka Bay my fave; usually protected, easy hatchery lagoon access for fishing (pinks galore and some reds there earlier in that "run"). Pretty easy hiking and still decent blueberries there on the trail to the lake as of yesterday. Some okay rockfish fishing. Overall I think a pretty good "kid" friendly place. A decent anchor would give you an okay setup. I have a 9' inflatable with a 2hp motor I'd consider lending out for beer. It sits in storage and haven't used it once yet this year.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Just an FYI the Halibut cove lagoon dock is out of commission indefinitely.
    One of the pilings rusted off.
    I wish I could help with the cabin but I usually stay on the boat when in halibut cove itself or in Seldovia.
    Thanks for the info on the dock Chris. That is good info to know. As I mentioned when it is my wife and I we usually just stay on the boat. When it is the whole family I sometimes just stay on the boat at night as well. Don't get grief about snoring that way. Ken

Thanks to all for all the good ideas and suggestions. Big Jim I appreciate the offer of the inflateable but I also have one that I lug around on top and rarely use. Instead of a 2 hp motor it has a 2 oar propulsion system, maybe why it is not used much. Perhaps it is time for a lightweight motor to go with it. Ken

Ken,

Another option are Yurts that you can rent. There are a couple in Tutka Bay that might work. I have not stayed in them so I can't speak to the anchorages, amount of room, etc.. Here is the web site: http://www.alaskanyurtrentals.com/

I have stayed in the Sea Star Cove cabin when our boys where younger. It is one of the nicest State Of Alaska cabins, in a nice location. Let me know if you want more details on the cabin, anchorage, etc.

Doug

Can usually get a transient slip in Seldovia, unless 4th of July weekend. The City website details several B&B's plus hotels. Dancing Eagle has awesome views and is right next to the harbor.