Thread: Question about the Yentna river

Default Question about the Yentna river

Howdy folks, I've bought a piece of property out on the Yentna river, and am planning on putting a cabin out there once I'm done with my service contract. I grew up in Fairbanks and am looking forward to getting back out there, but that's Fairbanks, not around the Talkeetna/Skwentna area so a few questions if you don't mind.

1. is the Yentna river deep enough to where I could buy a small barge like boat and ferry in materials myself?

2. Do you know of any company that provides internet(sat, etc) access to remote sites? Even if I have to set it up myself (I'll have a generator).

Thanks!

Depends on how far up the Yetna you have to go(the "Mammoth Barge" out of Deshka Landing goes to Skwentna) . Some people have satellite internet and are happy with it.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Steamboats used to run the yetna all the way to youngstown bend, plenty of water. Skwentna had a sizeable barge head in to redo the runway last time. Lots of water, but the cheapest way to haul material is in the winter with a snowmachine. With how cheap the guys are hauling the stuff now days it is the best route, lot cheaper than putting up with the hassle yourself. Thats why I only build the freight sleds and not haul with them. The next cheapest route is Larry heaters boats, or Eric with the mammoth mini barge. They are currently 17 cents a pound. Which is very reasonable. What mile of the yetna is your lot?

You can contact Eric at the Northwoods Lodge. He brought all my materials up and built the cabin. Just above lake creek with GCI Internet and phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micro com has a few options for remote dish stuff.

And Eric at Northwoods provides great service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with Fishhook 57, haul your freight in by snow machine, easier and less handling. My place is just above the Big Bend, I have MTA for cell service, It's iffy in the summer, but decent in the winter. Some folks have MTA and they put up a Yagi antenna, get a little black box from MTA and they have good service. My Son's AT&T cell service is about the same as my MTA. Texting is pretty reliable, but Talking not so much.

Just to throw this in there, im near the big bend and get full service (5 bars 4g, talk and text, and get lots of public tv easy). Probably because Im on a hill but its nice being able to call or look something up right away. I can see the shell hill tower, the deshka landing tower and the tower at capitol speedway from my place in the winter(can see the blinking lights). One of our neighbors has Exede internet and it works awesome, and a great price they said too.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhook57 View Post
    Just to throw this in there, im near the big bend and get full service (5 bars 4g, talk and text, and get lots of public tv easy). Probably because Im on a hill but its nice being able to call or look something up right away. I can see the shell hill tower, the deshka landing tower and the tower at capitol speedway from my place in the winter(can see the blinking lights). One of our neighbors has Exede internet and it works awesome, and a great price they said too.

When it come to cell phones and TV reception line of site is everything. You are sooooooo lucky.

its been over 10 years since we built our cabin in the lake creek area but at the time barging was cheaper than paying for someone to haul by snowmachine. it takes a lot of snowmachine loads to equal one barge load. also for fragile stuff like windows being hauled 50+miles on a freight sled can be a dicey proposition. its worth talking to eric Johnson about barging and one of the freight guys at deshka like ron van waveren to see what the current rates are so you can do your own math. if you are thinking of doing all the hauling yourself then time required is becomes more of a factor.
    as far as internet, it is totally location,location. we don't get squat for cell signal on our lake and other people just a quarter a mile away on the lake get 4G service. before signing up for satellite internet with its monthly service charge I would take a phone out to the lot and see what you get.