Thread: 2015 Sheep Hunt

Default 2015 Sheep Hunt

In late August I assisted a friend harvest his first Dall sheep. He had drawn the early Delta tag (story later - maybe). After doing so, I got the bug to go hunting for myself - so I did.

Day 1: low clouds, drizzle, can't see the peaks - ugh.

Day 2: Stayed in tent until 2 p.m. - ugh. I climbed into the next drainage and spot 3 rams one of which needed a closer look. I get on them about 7:30 p.m. and determine that the biggest ram is at least 9 yrs old. I decide to take the 310 yard, bedded down, mostly facing away shot and missed! They spook and give me shot shot ops at 200-400 yards, but I can't ensure which one is the legal ram so I decline. Bummer.

Day 3: I found the 3 rams rather quickly and 2 ridges over and in the direction that's closer to the pickup - yahoo! I moved camp closer to the rams, drop the camp, and put the "indian" on them. I figured they bedded in a really small saddle, you know, the kind that's so small that you will be right on top of them before you see them. I peek over the rise and see white at ~ 40 yards - yikes! The swirly wind got them moving, but then they started to feed giving me time to get the spotter out to verify legality again. At 260 yards I put one through both lungs like you're supposed to do and it was ram down at 11:57 a.m. Missing the day before was a blessing in disguise because now I had plenty of daylight and sunshine to cape, butcher, get him to the creek, bump camp to the creek, and the pack out would be shorter. Oh, and when caping it out, I found a bullet graze right down his side that cut the hair to the hide. I did not compensate for the wind and/or slighty pulled the shot the day before. The lesson being that bedded shots do not provide as much room for error as do broadside or quartering away shots. Something I knew, but the message was real.

Day 4: I packed the meat out to the trailhead and sunk it in the Cr again (I use HD contractor grade trash bags). Then I hiked back to the creek camp for the night. As you can see I have to "leap frog" my camp and meat out of the Mts. I cannot and will not attempt to pack my entire camp and a ram out of the Mts in 1 trip.

Day 5: Pack out my camp and drive home.

Here's a link to a slideshow that I put together: https://youtu.be/stKBj-7FrkE
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more pics.

The ram was sealed and here are the stats:
    9 yrs old
    14 1/8" bases
    35 7/8"
    35 5/8"

last of the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great story, thanks for sharing your "lesson learned". The video is a great way of sharing pictures too, well done.

Well done. thanks for the re-counting and photos.

Nice ram and pictures! Did the toe socks help?

I think the toe socks did help. They are Injini brand and REI sells them. I used the thinnest model they make and wore them under my Darn tough socks. A previous sheep hunt this fall left my toes blistered and bleeding in between my toes. I was in rough shape at the end of that hike due to my hurting feet. I guess my feet were soft from the lack of such abuse!

Good work sealing the deal! Although your hunt doesn't seem as exciting as the DCUA hunt we did a few weeks ago. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I decide to take the 310 yard, bedded down, mostly facing away shot and missed!
    It's the sh*ts when you miss. But it happens to the best of us....right? But like you said, ended up being a blessing.....which was great!

The ram was sealed and here are the stats:
    9 yrs old
    14 1/8" bases
    35 7/8"
    35 5/8"
    From the first pics I had a feeling he had some pretty nice bases, as he holds his mass really well.

drop the camp, and put the "indian" on them
    I had to chuckle when I read that, as what I say when I do it is.... I put the "injun slink" on em'.........lol

A real big congrats on a successful solo sheep hunt...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nice job and a beauty, nice mass. 9 yo and not full curl. And some rams go full curl at 6.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Nice job and a beauty, nice mass. 9 yo and not full curl. And some rams go full curl at 6.
    Congrats! Nice Ram. I'm curious what kind of tent that is.

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    Congrats! Nice Ram. I'm curious what kind of tent that is.
    I'm pretty sure that this is model of tent: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=131 It's a mansion for 1 person and even with 2 people it's roomy.

" As you can see I have to "leap frog" my camp and meat out of the Mts. I cannot and will not attempt to pack my entire camp and a ram out of the Mts in 1 trip. "

I know the feeling...i got my first sheep this year on a solo trip. I know others on this site also have felt the pain of multiple trips.
    Well done & thanks for sharing jpost!

jpost, another memory maker. Good post and congrats.