Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg Patriot

Default Mossberg Patriot

So limon32 mentioned recently in a thread about the Ruger American that, perhaps, I should be cautious about Mossberg products. I respect hs opinion, but I've only owned Mossberg pump shotguns, and a very old .22. Has anyone here had any experience with the Patriot? It looks like a nice rifle and I'm feeling te hankering...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    So limon32 mentioned recently in a thread about the Ruger American that, perhaps, I should be cautious about Mossberg products. I respect hs opinion, but I've only owned Mossberg pump shotguns, and a very old .22. Has anyone here had any experience with the Patriot? It looks like a nice rifle and I'm feeling te hankering...
    I get far to many hankerings as it is then people put bait in front of me. My biggest concern about the Mossberg line has to do with their magazines being a lot finicky about how you put rounds on the follower then push them into the magazine. The Patriot using AR magazines should be a way good thing. The spiral bolt is cool.

I have 4 varmint/coyote guns already and really like my Mini-14's and short heavy barreled Ruger American in 223. Yet I too have toyed with the idea of getting a patriot. So how about you get one and then bait me with your success in regards.😉

From the gunsmith prospective, I really like Mossberg CR rifles. Don't care too much for newer 22s. and the shotguns are fairly simple to work on,

Have not heard one bad thing about the patriot or the , what was it ?? ATR? All Terrain Rifle? and the 4X4, all great platforms, very impressed, with the two rifles I have shot, both customer's guns, both new hunters, both helping them get sighted in and familiar with the rifles, both shot very impressive.

I'f I was in the market, I'd certainly take a hard look at their line of rifles.

There's an interesting article about the new Mossberg rifles in the Sept/Oct Safari (SCI's publication) by Jon Sundra.

Noticed Walmart has one on the rack already, didn't take a look at it as I was in a hurry. I might try and do that this week if I can sneak away at lunch.

Slight clarification, my bad experience was with a rimfire (17 HMR), I love their shotguns!

My experience was with an ATR in 243. You had to pay very special attention to how the ammo was placed in the mag well. Even then it would load the first round and then not the second round as it would be canted in the mag. Other than that I loved the gun.....I mean for what it was. It shot just as well as the lock ring head spaced Savages that it copied. I can't have a gun that doesn't work right so it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Noticed Walmart has one on the rack already, didn't take a look at it as I was in a hurry. I might try and do that this week if I can sneak away at lunch.
    I might have to look... although I'm having mixed feelings about Walmart and guns, since they no longer will be selling anything on the AR platform. I am not an AR shooter, but I will say that my grandson took his first moose with an AR in .300 Blackout this past weekend. I believe Walmart caved to those who want to label that platform as an "assault rifle".

I might have to look... although I'm having mixed feelings about Walmart and guns, since they no longer will be selling anything on the AR platform. I am not an AR shooter, but I will say that my grandson took his first moose with an AR in .300 Blackout this past weekend. I believe Walmart caved to those who want to label that platform as an "assault rifle".
    I agree on buying guns at Walmart, handle it thee and then go order it from 3-bears, I bet it's cheaper that way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on buying guns at Walmart, handle it thee and then go order it from 3-bears, I bet it's cheaper that way too.

Most Walmarts in the lower 48 don't even carry guns anymore. We have a huge Super Wally World and they stop at BB guns. The old much smaller store had a good selection of guns and I shopped there often. I got no use for the new store.

I was in Walmart again today and took a look at the Patriot. I'm sure I'm biased but overall I thought it had a cheaper feel than the RA. the magazine looked and felt sturdier than the RA magazine. One thing I noted was the moving part of the magazine catch was on the stock on the Patriot, it is on the magazine of the RA. If it breaks on the RA you get a new magazine and move on, if you break it on the patriot? The stock fore end is similarly flexible to my RA , though not touching the barrel, it had uneven gaps in either side (again like my RA). The finish seemed very fragile, it had a lot of light scratches already.

The rifling appeared great, I didn't have a bore scope though. One thing I really liked is the crown is deeply recessed and it looked great.

Both the barrel and bolt were fluted which is a nice touch on such a bargain prices rifle.

The Patriot appears to be selling for about $30 less than an RA and I believe I'll pay the difference and get another RA when the need arises, though I wouldn't hesitate to take one to the field.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

This "Patriot" is an interesting rifle, though perhaps not as interesting as the RA, which I knew at the beginning would be immensely popular.

Considering the RA, along with those of other manufacturers, like the Rem 783, and the Marlin ???? that are designed for the "price conscience" crowd, which might include all of us......

I wonder if a potential buyer would not be wise to consider the Ruger Hawkeye, instead.

It is certainly more expensive, but it is likely much more rifle, and chambered in 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel, compares favorably with any of the above. The weight is listed at 7 lbs. And, you have a Substantial stock, not something that feels like a Clam Shell, and looks like a Toy.

Nonetheless, the Patriot would seem to be a step back in the right direction from the RA types, but I haven't yet learned if it has a PLASTIC trigger guard. It is, chambered in quite a variety of cartridges.

I'll keep my eyes pealed for an example in the stores.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I was in Walmart again today and took a look at the Patriot. I'm sure I'm biased but overall I thought it had a cheaper feel than the RA. the magazine looked and felt sturdier than the RA magazine. One thing I noted was the moving part of the magazine catch was on the stock on the Patriot, it is on the magazine of the RA. If it breaks on the RA you get a new magazine and move on, if you break it on the patriot? The stock fore end is similarly flexible to my RA , though not touching the barrel, it had uneven gaps in either side (again like my RA). The finish seemed very fragile, it had a lot of light scratches already.

The rifling appeared great, I didn't have a bore scope though. One thing I really liked is the crown is deeply recessed and it looked great.

Both the barrel and bolt were fluted which is a nice touch on such a bargain prices rifle.

The Patriot appears to be selling for about $30 less than an RA and I believe I'll pay the difference and get another RA when the need arises, though I wouldn't hesitate to take one to the field.

What kind of Stock did it have? Wood, Synthetic, Plastic?? (I don't shop at Walmart.)

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Another article, this time in Shooting Times on the Patriot.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Nonetheless, the Patriot would seem to be a step back in the right direction from the RA types, but I haven't yet learned if it has a PLASTIC trigger guard. It is, chambered in quite a variety of cartridges.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty... get over the plastic trigger guard whining already! I've carried mine around for four years now banged it and abused it and it shows no wear at all. Nor does my son's.
    The American is a good solid rifle. I just like variety.

[QUOTE=sayak;1503654 I just like variety.[/QUOTE]

Me too! When all of these gun making companies decided to come out with their latest greatest el-cheapo line of rifles I had to try them all. I have not tried the Patriot nor the new one out from Winchester. I have tried the Marlin Xs/xl line, the Mossberg Atr, the Remington 783, Ruger American, Savage Axis and the Stevens 200. The Ruger American is the winner followed by a very close second placing by the Remington 783. The Savage Axis would be third. I would hunt with any of the three. The remaining three, Marlin Xs/Xl, Stevens 200 and Mossberg ATR are all good shooters but they all have fixed blind magazines the are composed of flimsy springs and junk followers. Everyone of these three with a full magazine would bind up at least one out of 5 tries. When that happens with a gun right out of the box then my interest in going any further is gone.

Is there more than one version of the Patriot? The two that I looked at both used AR15 magazines and that being the case the catch system to hold the magazine in the gun would have to be on the gun.

The Patriot is a typical bolt action rifle; the MVP takes the AR style magazines, more of a tactical bolt action rifle.

I just went to gunbroker for a quick look see. The gun world evolved whilst I was sleeping. Up until now the only Mossberg Patriots that I had seen were priced over 500 bucks and were laminated stocked, spiral bolts, heavy fluted barrel jobs in 223 that took AR15 magazines. Not so! I must investigate further. A guy just can't blink anymore lest he misses the boat on the latest and greatest.

I must be going nuts, I have three new guns that I haven't even scoped up yet and because I read a real good read on the 8x57 mauser I now have one of them occupying my bench space. Dang I need to clone me so I don't miss out something.......dang tomorrow is our anniversary......another whole day wasted without anything gun related.................

Smitty... get over the plastic trigger guard whining already! I've carried mine around for four years now banged it and abused it and it shows no wear at all. Nor does my son's.
    The American is a good solid rifle. I just like variety.
    I am not "whining" sayak. Get over yourself.

Your meager experience is meaningless, and it doesn't inspire my confidence in plastic parts on a rifle.

My H&R has a plastic trigger guard, and it has been entirely functional, but there is a difference in functionality and quality/workmanship.

For me, the former has its place,but the latter is preferred.

If you think that your RA looks great over your fireplace, Bless your little ole pea pickin heart.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast