Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose harvest numbers for unit 15

Default Moose harvest numbers for unit 15

As of today 42 moose have been taken in 15c, and about 15 in a and b combined. Of the 42 about 9 were spikes, the rest over 50" or 4 brow tine. About 6 illegal moose have been verified, and about 1/2 of the shooters were self turn-ins.
    several other reports of illegal harvest are still being investigated.
    the majority of the illegal bulls were in the 30" class.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    As of today 42 moose have been taken in 15c, and about 15 in a and b combined. Of the 42 about 9 were spikes, the rest over 50" or 4 brow tine. About 6 illegal moose have been verified, and about 1/2 of the shooters were self turn-ins.
    several other reports of illegal harvest are still being investigated.
    the majority of the illegal bulls were in the 30" class.
    Thanks Dave....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for reporting, Dave.

Good info, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homerdave any info on harvest in unit 7?

I have heard of 4 sub legals in the Marathon road area alone. A couple that were salvaged and a couple left to rot.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

How someone accidently shoots a 30"-36" bull boggles my mind. Maybe they thought they saw a fork on one side?

The problem has it's roots in men thinking that their 6" is really 10"................

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    How someone accidently shoots a 30"-36" bull boggles my mind. Maybe they thought they saw a fork on one side?

I know the harvest in unit seven has been low. I will see if I can get some numbers on Monday.

I think that for every 50" plus bull that is sealed, there are several smaller bulls shot. some left to rot and some sneaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I think that for every 50" plus bull that is sealed, there are several smaller bulls shot. some left to rot and some sneaked out.
    Heard a story today.... Somewhere out near you a man left his wife at home to go fly out somewhere to moose hunt. That same day a legal bull walked into their yard. The wife couldn't shoot it because the husband took the gun.....

Well one solution would be to do away with the 50 inch rule and make it three brow tines only to avoid the guesses which are obviously a problem.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Well one solution would be to do away with the 50 inch rule and make it three brow tines only to avoid the guesses which are obviously a problem.
    Far too many moose have three brow tines by the time they are in the mid-20's. I would wager any loosening of antler restrictions would lead to a permit hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    For many yes, but not all, you can bet on that.....

Some of these degenerates that are leaving moose to rot are the same kinds of animals that place no value on wildlife as a whole. They see a bull moose and kill it no matter what it looks like, and do so just for the "rush". They are the ones you hear about where as a child they used to love to torture people's pets. I kind of equate these pukes along the same lines as those that end up killing a human being just to steal their tennis shoes. As we all know, these types have no business having access to a firearm.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    For many yes, but not all, you can bet on that.....

Some of these degenerates that are leaving moose to rot are the same kinds of animals that place no value on wildlife as a whole. They see a bull moose and kill it no matter what it looks like, and do so just for the "rush". They are the ones you hear about where as a child they used to love to torture people's pets. I kind of equate these pukes along the same lines as those that end up killing a human being just to steal their tennis shoes. As we all know, these types have no business having access to a firearm.....
    Either that, or they are just stupid, like the people who shoot up signs for "fun".

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Either that, or they are just stupid, like the people who shoot up signs for "fun".
    Yeah, I'm going with stupid.
    I see plenty out there that definitely qualify as 'mouth breathers'. Then there is the deranged, old, stoned hippy type.

OK.........permits. First filter must live in sub-unit to apply. The Second filter years as a resident of said Game Unit or Sub-unit. The THIRD filter: GROSS family income per Federal Income Tax Filing........Only one permit per family per year.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Far too many moose have three brow tines by the time they are in the mid-20's. I would wager any loosening of antler restrictions would lead to a permit hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    OK.........permits. First filter must live in sub-unit to apply. The Second filter years as a resident of said Game Unit or Sub-unit. The THIRD filter: GROSS family income per Federal Income Tax Filing........
    The only thing you could do with permit hunt would be to make it a residents only hunt. Where in the state the resident lives, how long they've been a resident, and most certainly not how much money they make would, nor should ever, have any bearing their right to apply.

Here's an update
    unit 7 has had a harvest of 3 in the general season and 1 in the fed. 15a is 4 legal and 4 not. 15b is 7 in the general hunt and 1 in the fed hunt. 15c is 71 general, 5 in the fed hunt, and 10 illegal.

Thank You for the update. That 14 illegal out of 106 total is pretty depressing; that's a fairly high % for that type of thing and unfortunately that's only the ones that they're aware of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast