Thread: winch technician

Default winch technician

I don't know if this is the right place to post this- but since I will be using it for skidding logs, I thought it appropriate.
    I was given a Warn 12,000 lb winch that I will be putting on my dozer to pull logs out of the woods. It apparently needs new solenoids and I would like to have the work done by a knowledgeable person who can also inspect the winch to make sure it is in good shape and fix it if not. Any recommendations on who can do this work? Thank you, BEE

Call six-states they may be able to help. Are you sure it has a problem 12000lb winch draws a lot of amperes.

X2 on six states. They know warn.

Thanks for the info about six states. MacGyver- the guy who gave me the winch stated it needed solenoids, so I would like it thoroughly checked out before hauling out to my property.

You can do it yourself if you have any kind of mechanical ability.
    Here are a couple of videos to give you an idea of how simple the job really is.

http://www.powernationtv.com/two-min...d-a-warn-winch

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episode/...d#.VfL55RHBzGc

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Are you sure it has a problem 12000lb winch draws a lot of amperes.
    I did not know at the time and assume it was a 12v winch and that is wrong my latest information is it's 24v. Is the dozer 24v?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I did not know at the time and assume it was a 12v winch and that is wrong my latest information is it's 24v. Is the dozer 24v?
    The dozer and winch are both 12v. I just ran out to make sure the winch was a 12. I have observed over time that you seem to be a wizard with knowing about mechanical things- so you made me nervous till I checked! They seem to have quite a few different models in the heavier weights. Thanks for checking though! Always enjoy reading your posts. The winch model is MX12085 D1

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    You can do it yourself if you have any kind of mechanical ability.
    Here are a couple of videos to give you an idea of how simple the job really is.
    Drifter- I appreciate your posting those sites. I am a bit mechanically inclined but have never messed with a winch other than using one, and thought that it would make sense to have an expert look it over before hooking up to a large log to pull towards my drive. I will watch them and learn about them regardless- but may just try it myself. Thank you sir.

[QUOTE=AKBEE;1502369]- so you made me nervous till I checked!

Now that funny.........I had guys get mad at what I said, most ignore my opinion a few were happy. It a welcome change to know I made someone nervous.

I love it!!! LOL

Just asking, but why do you need a winch? I skid logs all the time with our dozers and we just weld hooks at chest height and drag them, that way the only part on the ground is the very end. I can grab 5 logs with my setup on my 450b, or 2 really big ones.

I've hauled out over 10 log truck loads of logs with my small dozer with nothing more than five chokers I had made up at Arctic Wire Rope. The only advantage I can see for the winch is if they were way down a steep hill. Otherwise I just back up to them and hook up.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I completely understand what y'all are saying about just hooking up cable/chain chokers and hauling them out. The logs down steep hills is exactly why I wanted the winch. Not to mention it would be nice to have if any other vehicles get stuck at my place. We have lots of trees down in areas that are not so easy to access so by using a winch and a shackle or 2- can move them where we need them to be a bit easier. We have been moving some with cable/choker/shackles and truck- but the dozer would be easier to move some where I can't get a truck. There are other trees I would like to selectively fell and don't want a large swath to be knocked down to make room for dozer. Rob (AKMUD) made me a neat sliding skidder to use with anything from ATV/truck/dozer to not have the flat nose of the logs to dig in as well. I do appreciate y'alls input.

Akbee gave his (good)reasons for a winch, I'll offer another.

In my area, a dozer my be able to walk across a given piece of ground once or twice before turning into loon feces. Any more, and semi- soft ground turns into a swamp-muck hole etc. I've used a winch (albeit a hydraulic Hyster) behind a 550 to bundle up 8-10 trees into one spot while the dozer is parked, allowing a single pull out, saving the ground.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If your going to be using an electric winch to haul logs up a slope it will burn out quickly if you run it to long or under to much load. Thats why most winches that are used regularly are hydraulic or PTO. Hydraulic winches are much cheaper than you think and hold up under continuous load. A 12k electric winch isnt really 12k from my experience. On the otherhand my 5 ton truck has a 20k pto winch that is more like a 40k+ winch just the shear pin is rated for 20k. I have used a "10k" hydro winch before on a fishweel pullout, and that thing was way underrated. Your dozer probably has the aux hydraulics down in there just capped off. And a hydro winch will help pull you out when you get stuck too.

Fishhook- I will look into the hydraulic and PTO winches. It is hard not to try to make use of the one I have as it was free though.