Thread: Potential job idea

Default Potential job idea

I'm currently a correctional officer in Illinois. I was wondering how a career as an Alaskan state correctional officer compared to here which the pay, wellness of the job, and if it is a type of job to have a descent lifestyle. I see the pay is 20 and hr with 42 hours a week in Anchorage. But I know the cost of living is higher in Alaska. Any advice on this topic would be wonderful. Its so hard to find information online without having someone first hand to ask. Thank you for you time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That is $20 starting out

Call Wildwood correctional facility in Kenai Alaska. 150 road miles south of Anchorage. Sure beats living in the big city. Ask for Dave Cleveland. I'm sure Dave would be more than happy to chat with you and be able to answer most any questions you have that are related to a carer in corrections in Alaska.

A friend was looking into the same thing years ago.
    If I remember correctly when I asked they said you had to be an Alaska resident before applying.
    So take that into consideration.
    It takes a full year to become a resident.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

We have plenty of prisoners, and it costs on average $158 a day to house them. More than the average Joe makes in a day. It has to be a growth industry.

Not sure about elsewhere in the state but in Fairbanks correctional officers work 12 hr shifts, 7 days on 7 days off.

Also, the $21.13/hr is entry level. With experience you may qualify for a higher starting wage.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I didn't see where you had to be a resident but I'll check into that. I currently work 12 hrs now to get overtime. Every so often I get mandated for 16 hrs. Those suck.

Everything you want to know should be right here - http://www.correct.state.ak.us/corre...o_recruitment/

I was thinking of the female institutions. I know there is hiland mountain institution in eagle river. I currently work in a female. I did research about being a resident I couldn't find anything but I'll keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by cwgirlkrissy View Post
    I was thinking of the female institutions. I know there is hiland mountain institution in eagle river. I currently work in a female. I did research about being a resident I couldn't find anything but I'll keep looking.

I saw corrections had a booth somewhere I was at a few years back(state fair?).
    They were looking for people to join the ranks.
    That's when I asked the guy working the booth about my friend from out of state who is an experienced corrections officer becoming one in Alaska.
    He said there was a residency requirements before my friend could be hired.
    Just passing that on in case it helps your decision. Who knows it may have changed since then.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Very understandable. I will check into that more. I know here in Illinois there is no resident requirements. But keep looking into it. I'm not planning on making a nice until a couple years to save money and have plenty of research before even applying.

A QUALIFIED APPLICANT MUST:
    Be a citizen of the United States of America or resident alien who has demonstrated the intent to become a citizen of the United States of America.
    Have a high school diploma or a General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
    Be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
    Possess a valid driverís license issued within the United States at time of appointment.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

They seem to always be hiring I can tell you that the guys who work mat-su pretrial love it at least that's what they tell me when I book someone in
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by cwgirlkrissy View Post
    I'm currently a correctional officer in Illinois. I was wondering how a career as an Alaskan state correctional officer compared to here which the pay, wellness of the job, and if it is a type of job to have a descent lifestyle. I see the pay is 20 and hr with 42 hours a week in Anchorage. But I know the cost of living is higher in Alaska. Any advice on this topic would be wonderful. Its so hard to find information online without having someone first hand to ask. Thank you for you time.
    I was on a weekend snowmachine ride to a remote lodge a couple years ago and a few of the people in the group were employed in the corrections system. Hanging around the lodge in the evening shooting the breeze, they didn't seem to have more than the normal gripes about their jobs. I have no idea how they live or what their spouses do for a living, but we were all riding expensive "toys" and hanging out at a lodge if that says anything about their lifestyle.

That is good to know. Thank you