Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pack frames and hunting packs.

Default Pack frames and hunting packs.

I am looking to invest in a good pack frame and was wondering what the people in the know would suggest any info would be much appreciated.

search engine is your friend.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I just purchased the cabelas Alaskan pack and frame. I'm new to hunting and thought it would be a good starter pack.

Quote Originally Posted by akfish716 View Post
    I just purchased the cabelas Alaskan pack and frame. I'm new to hunting and thought it would be a good starter pack.
    A lot of people like them for sure....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy56 View Post
    I am looking to invest in a good pack frame and was wondering what the people in the know would suggest any info would be much appreciated.
    Check out the Gear forum.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I've owned a few different packs over the years. Hard to go wrong with a Barney's pack, but they are pricey. But I know guys that have used these hard for decades and they are still going strong. A little heavy if you're looking at the empty weight of the pack though.

I just finished with one heck of a hard sheep hunt. We were both using Stone Glacier packs, and I was very happy with mine. About 1/2 the weight of the Barney's pack with about the same amount of space. More probably once you account for the meat shelf expansion. These are also pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Also a little narrower fit, so easier to hike and climb with a narrower fit. I didn't get hung up nearly as often as I have with the Barney's pack.

If I was starting over, I would probably end up with the same two packs, but I would skip over the part where I bought packs from Cabela's, etc. Barney's for moose and caribou hunts, Stone Glacier for sheep and goat.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    If I was starting over, I would probably end up with the same two packs, but I would skip over the part where I bought packs from Cabela's, etc. Barney's for moose and caribou hunts, Stone Glacier for sheep and goat.

Good luck.
    That's probably the route I'm heading. I've been using my Barney's pack for more than a decade, but it's time to get something lighter and easier to pack into the back of the Cub. Haven't tried a Stone Glacier for fit yet, but based on what I read, that's my top potential choice.

Barney's is the way to go for a full on frame pack. Go see Kevin, he will take the time to set you up right.

Quote Originally Posted by akfish716 View Post
    Yep, cabelas extreme outfitter pack and frame. Comfortable and hauls a lot.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I'm a Kifaru fan! They are fairly light and it's possible to swap out bags. Kifaru frames are designed for 100+ lb loads and are about the most comfortable frame available. I have a duplex frame, EMRII bag for super heavy/bulky loads and a Timberline bag for hunting situations where I don't need a giant bag. Kifaru has an assortment of bags. I've heard a lot of great things about Stone Glacier but really like having lots of bag options with Kifaru. You may want to take a look at the Kifaru website. They have a bunch of videos on the website for different bags.

I'm not sure if the new Cabelas framed packs are anything like the old versions but I ended upside down on several occasions (like a turtle) when hauling large loads with the old Cabelas frame pack. The frame was too far from my back and I was super unstable on steep, uneven terrain. Hopefully the newer versions have been improved? New packs and frames have come a long ways! Most modern packs/frames use load lifters that help a lot. I wouldn't even consider a meat/hauling pack without them!

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I've owned a few different packs over the years. Hard to go wrong with a Barney's pack, but they are pricey. But I know guys that have used these hard for decades and they are still going strong. A little heavy if you're looking at the empty weight of the pack though.

I just finished with one heck of a hard sheep hunt. We were both using Stone Glacier packs, and I was very happy with mine. About 1/2 the weight of the Barney's pack with about the same amount of space. More probably once you account for the meat shelf expansion. These are also pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Also a little narrower fit, so easier to hike and climb with a narrower fit. I didn't get hung up nearly as often as I have with the Barney's pack.

Good luck.

What size is your Stone Glacier pack?

I second the vote for SG. I purchased 2 Sky Archer 6400s this spring for my wife and myself. Due to a not too old collar bone break which left a plate where her shoulder straps typically ride, she hasn't been able to hike very far due to the pain. However this has changed. I love my SG and she thinks it's the best thing in the world. Extremely comfortable, incredibly adjustable and very light. So so so glad I went the SG route and we put it through hell this spring /summer bear hunting. Looking forward once I leave the military to take it on more adventurous hunts like a sheep or goat hunt. Hope this helps. Buy once cry once

I have an Alaskan Pack from Cabelas which has stood the test of time and is a great pack but not for sheep hunting! I bought a Kuiu 6000 Ultra and I like it for the weight, pockets and comfortable straps and waist belt. It also handles a lot of weight, 75+ lbs, pretty good or at least as good as that much weight feels. The Stone Glacier was my second pick but was nudged out because of price and weight.

I packed a big bodied bull moose out last year (7 trips) with a KUIU Icon. The load sling is rated to over 200lbs, and I was probably pushing 125+ with a bone-in hind quarter. I hope to do the same this year (leaving next week). Lots of things I like about the pack, and few things I don't. Took it sheep hunting for a week this year, and it carried great without complaints. That said, the Stone Glacier pack looks real interesting to me...many good options out there.

I've gone through 2 Cabelas Alaskan frames. Broke one and wore out the other. They were all I had or could afford.
    After all of the hype and talk, I pulled the $$ trigger and bought the Barneys frame this summer. Last weekend I plugged a huge bodied bull moose and we packed him a mile. That frame was a Godsend!! I haven't packed meat like that in over 10yrs and I'm convinced that I couldn't have done it with any other frame. The padding is awesome.. Having it fitted was absolutely critical and made all the difference in the world..

I second the Kuiu Icon. The weight is nice and it handles moose hind quarters like a champ!
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner View Post
    What size is your Stone Glacier pack?
    Mine is the Terminus, which was replaced, I think by the Sky Archer. I can't remember the specs, but something like 6200 cubic inches.

You could always make one. I'm going to start a project for a future backwoodsman article. Not to hard to make a custom one.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Myself and a friend or two have been using a Barneys frame with this dry bag: http://www.amazon.com/Seal-Line-021-...9W752JR6V2S4SV

The dry bag is light, strong, and dry inside . I can get my sheep camp in the bag and my spotter and a few odds/ends in another smaller bag for easy access. I installed 3 straps and buckles to secure the bag to the frame. It's obviously simple to remove the bag and haul meat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the great info everyone, I think I am leaning towards the kuiu or the barney's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast