Thread: meat hunting deer

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default meat hunting deer

So far the deer being harvested are spikes, october 1st the doe season opens. I hope hunters start taking does for meat and letting our spikes grow to 3x3 and 4x4 and then 5x5s, please pass on spikes and keep looking for the mature bucks. It is hard to resist shooting the spikes as they are plentiful, just saying. our mtn goats are moving out to the ocean side of the island and are plentiful too, plus good eatin.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    So far the deer being harvested are spikes, october 1st the doe season opens. I hope hunters start taking does for meat and letting our spikes grow to 3x3 and 4x4 and then 5x5s, please pass on spikes and keep looking for the mature bucks. It is hard to resist shooting the spikes as they are plentiful, just saying. our mtn goats are moving out to the ocean side of the island and are plentiful too, plus good eatin.
    (Also, please pass on 5x5's, and pass on location of 5x5 as well! my inbox is empty!)

On a more serious note, I have heard of and witnessed the opposite around some parts of SEAK. Bucks in alpine early, and then once doe season opens up its fawns, does, spikes, big bucks, "if it's brown its down" indiscriminate harvesting. While this may be fine and sustainable for the hunter that would like to get one or two deer for the freezer there seems to be a growing trend of migrant hunters from other areas who ferry/fly/take their own boats and take their limit, regardless of size/age/sex. This is perfectly legal, and I am not complaining about said behavior (the hunting in Juneau is not as good as it is elsewhere, and I've gone elsewhere!), however there are unfortunately to few/no mandatory check stations where biologists/techs can check harvests, and the online/paper harvest reporting for some areas is likely quite inaccurate/under reported. Hopefully doe/fawn harvests are closely regulated so that the populations do not take a hit. The weather has been favorable for survival in the last few seasons but if many people are harvesting many does there just wont be that many to be surviving, especially if the weather does remain ideal.

I echo your plea KodiakCombo. It is nice to see a big buck every once in a while, and it' gets hard to find 'em if they're downed before they get there!

How much is it to get a boat ride out to a good goat/deer hunting area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6