Thread: New hunter seeking tier I advice

Default New hunter seeking tier I advice

Greetings all. I have been reading this forum religiously for about a year and recently joined. I am new to hunting and have decided to start next season. The past few months have been spent gathering equipment (rifle, knives, optics, etc.) I still need some more gear until I have everything I need. My question is this. After researching this site and past posts many forum members recommend the tier I caribou tag as a good first hunt for a newbie. I am planning on applying for the tag. I want to spend this season scouting the area and glossing caribou so I can work on properly identifying bulls and cows in the field, and work on spot and stalk. I have no toys such as plane, boat, or atv I am walking. Should I concentrate my efforts on the Clearwater cua for best results since I would not have to contend against motorized folks? I wanna scout two days this week and would like to know what area may be best for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Unless you like lower 48 style road hunting/atv hunting, find a way to get a mile or two off the highway and set up camp. Hunt from that camp and away from 75% of the other hunters. You'll have a much better experience. That's not to say you should pass on a legal animal while driving in/out.

Where the Road crosses Clearwater creek, park in the big lot on the south side and then walk in on the trail on the north side of the road. Get up on a high point and spend hours watching.
    Then head east and stop before crazy notch and walk in to the north. Climb the big ridge of crazy notch and watch the flats below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or the MacLaren Summit and walk north. Great spot to do intercept style hunting.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Also look into a spot called Top of the World.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Where the Road crosses Clearwater creek, park in the big lot on the south side and then walk in on the trail on the north side of the road. Get up on a high point and spend hours watching.
    Then head east and stop before crazy notch and walk in to the north. Climb the big ridge of crazy notch and watch the flats below.

And bring your shot gun. If you get lucky you can bag a few ptarmigan.

What are you doing tomorrow or when are you going up? I will be headed up either tomorrow night or Wednesday night and staying until Saturday. I will be on walk in areas only but I will have my four wheeler with me.

I have never been able to figure out the PM system on here, so feel free to text me 907-244-4343. Try and text as soon as possible as there is no reception up there. I will text you back my vehicle description and where I will be.

All good stuff here! Nice to see.. I hope success finds you all.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thank you for all the advice. I'm going to hunt unit 20c for moose Friday after work and the. Saturday heAd down to Denali highway to hike around and get a idea of the area. I figure if I put in the time this year it will help increase my chances of success next year. Thank you all.