Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Reports

Default 2015 Reports

I primarily hunt south of Anchorage. This season seems to be off to a slow start for me. My blind rarely shoots limits, but usually produces a 3 bird average. The opener was the best day probably due to the number of hunters in the marsh keeping the birds flying. Since then there have been very few birds flying and even fewer in the bag. What have all of you been experiencing?

I know I have gone multiple times since opening day and I have not been able to find birds like I was able to last year. I have tried multiple different places and have had very little luck in finding anything. I don't have a boat to get to far back but last year I didn't need one, they seemed to be easier to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No birds now is pretty understandable. Early September doldrums are the norm. It will pick up. What we need is some good ol' snotty duck hunting weather.
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Just barely enough crummy weather for some good shooting on the Peninsula this long weekend. Limit would have come much quicker if I didn't spend so much time pounding out a search grid with my feet......I need a dog!

Seems slow this year. Opening day was best day so far, should have limited out. Fri and Sun were sloooowwwww. In Coastal Marsh late morning yesterday and didn't see anything flying.

Doing ok with the number of birds just hard to get to the areas because of such low water
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

First time in seven years-no water in the shallow ponds that we always set up in. Had to move to one of the "lakes" that still had water and we were about 100 yards from where another group set up after we had our spread out. Have never heard an opening day with fewer shots being fired. Did well on geese but ducks were few and far between.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I'm just glad the pain is being spread among everyone..lol

Low water and them on the mudflats feeding, larger concentrations were seen in areas obviously with no pressure but huntable areas. We had a decent shoot this past weekend..but birds were just not ready to commit all the way. It does get slow these next few weeks, that next push will come in around the end of the month, then the second or third week of October we will see the last push of red legs etc. Then off to the rivers.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I am headed up to Minto tomorrow evening - I'll jump some birds up for you guys and chase em south!

Sounds good...enjoy the trip.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

So I see the information saying the best of the season is yet to come is all for folks down south (Anchorage area). I am new to waterfowl hunting, and have been going with an experienced friend who is new to Alaska. We haven't seen much, with nothing close coming to a limit day. Is the Fairbanks area still getting better, or are they all on the way south by now?

What an amazing way to spend a day outside, I am hooked even with a very low bird ratio.

The Fairbanks area tends to pick up mid-September once things begin to freeze further north and west. Hit it hard, though, because it only lasts a couple weeks after that.

I havent gotten to do much hunting (1 day) but I saw plenty of birds and was presented the opportunity to shoot a limit. We had one group of over 50 widgeon commit to the decoys. Had a friends gun not jammed we could have taken 8 birds there alone. I havent seen a lot of the geese and crane movement yet but I am starting to see some flocks moving so it wont be long. The weather up north is still decent. Overnight lows have only been high 30's to low 40's and the days have been beautiful and mild. Nothing to make em move yet.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks for the good news. I figured the season was short, and didn't want to miss out. And maybe on a long weekend head down to Anchorage and have a fun weekend down in the "warm" weather later in the season once it slows a bit up here.

Birds have left the north Slope. Got word today the birds are flying through Shaktoolik heading south....get the guns, dogs and decoys ready boys...

Good. I'm tired of just teal.

I introduced a new to AK waterfowler to the ACWR tonight. We walked in from the Rabbit Creek end planning on jumpshooting a few ponds while he learned the area. It was a typical hunt out there for me...one mallard. No other birds flying but we heard another volley of shots from somebody farther south.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    I introduced a new to AK waterfowler to the ACWR tonight. We walked in from the Rabbit Creek end planning on jumpshooting a few ponds while he learned the area. It was a typical hunt out there for me...one mallard. No other birds flying but we heard another volley of shots from somebody farther south.
    Was that a one shot kill last night? I kept waiting for u to flush a few birds to give me an easy opportunity. I think the winds were not helping my spot last night. I didn't see anything. I need to get my first morning hunt soon

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Birds have left the north Slope. Got word today the birds are flying through Shaktoolik heading south....get the guns, dogs and decoys ready boys...
    Still a few left in the eastern most oilfield on the slope on the edge of ANWR.
    Most seem to have left though.
    I hope there's some waiting for me when I get home in a month.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Was that a one shot kill last night? I kept waiting for u to flush a few birds to give me an easy opportunity. I think the winds were not helping my spot last night. I didn't see anything. I need to get my first morning hunt soon

I took a new neighbor with me and he fired twice. However, that was enough to confuse the poor mallard into circling back to me. One shot....one upside down mallard. I should have quit after that. I just hunted Friday night/Saturday morning somewhere else for back to back zeros.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast