Thread: Cessna 175 vs early 172

Default Cessna 175 vs early 172

Do any of you know what, if any, the significant differences between a 175 airframe and an early model 172 airframe are? I know it's a completely different plane without many interchangeable parts, but I don't have a good understanding if there are any performance differences in the airframe. Basically, if they both had 180hp engines would there be any real difference? I heard from someone that the wing area is larger on a 175 but haven't verified that.

I believe they're nearly identical airframes. The 172 had a 145hp Continental direct drive engine and the 175 got a high-revving version for 175hp and needed a gear reduction drive for the prop.

Quote Originally Posted by paladinw94 View Post
    Basically, if they both had 180hp engines would there be any real difference? I heard from someone that the wing area is larger on a 175 but haven't verified that.
    I think aerodynamically the wings are the same. Differences are said to be internal; different spar spacing and slightly more fuel capacity in the 175.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Cessna shot themselves in the foot with the C-175 Skylark. They were basically competing with themselves.
    As mentioned above, both used a 0-300 six cylinder engine, however the C-175 had a reduction gear driving the prop so they could run the engine RPM way up and allow the normally 145 horse engine to develop 175 horses at 3,200 RPM.

I was always told the the skins of the C-175 wings were slightly thicker skin metal than the C-172s of the same period.

The 1961 Cessna 172 Shyhawk was listed as weighing 1325 pounds empty. The 1961 C-175 Skylark was listed as weighing 1395 pounds empty.

The 1961 Cessna 172 had a legal gross weight of 2,200 pounds while the Cessna 175 Skylark had a legal gross weight of 2,350 pounds. The last version of the C-175 had a gross weight over 2,400 pounds.

The 1961 C-172 has 42 gallons as standard tanks and the same year Skylark (175) had 52 gallons as a standard fuel load.
    For some reason the GO-300 geared engine in the C-175 Skylark also had a larger oil-pan for 10 quarts of oil as opposed to 8 quarts in the same year C-172.

The wingspan and total lengths are the same for both types.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thanks guys. It does seem slightly curious that they'd come up with the Skylark when they seemingly could have just put their geared engine on a 175 with modifications.