Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you wear when you drive?

Default What do you wear when you drive?

I know this is a dumb question, but I was thinking about the post that Oldschool45 had about his luck and I was thinking about my horrid luck and it got me thinking.

When I fly to a location, I usually wear something that it weather appropriate regardless of what I plan on wearing at my destination. For example: on my last fishing trip I wore t-shirt and shorts and changed into chest waiters on location. On my last (unsuccessful) trip to the Denali Highway, I wore basketball shorts and a t-shirt and changed when I got to my area.

Do you guys leave the house in full gear and keep the A/C on on the way or do you drive in shorts and a t-shirt and change when you get there?

Tshirt, shorts and running shoes all the time while driving with field cloths on the back seat. My buddies thought I was crazy when I got out of the truck on the Denali Hwy last week . I like to be comfortable on a long drive. Also not a fan of wearing camo anyplace other than in the field.

I always wear something comfortable to drive in, unless it's a really short drive. The best thing about that is switching into them at the end of the hunt. On my last sheep hunt, I was thinking about comfy cotton socks and sneakers for the last day or two...

I almost always wear comfy camo driving it gets me in the right mindset. You know like wearing the game day jersey. I may or may not hunt in the same clothes I drive in. Just depends on my mood.

Normally it is shorts, t-shirts and hiking boots(not hunting boots) from mid April till freeze up.

Something comfortable. Sometimes that's shorts and a t-shirt, othertimes (especially later in the season) some soft field pants and a t-shirt...
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I aLWAYS DRESS WARM AND OFTEN BRNG A CHANGE OF CLOTHES, AS i DRIVE BOATS AND SNOWMACHINES.......NO ROADS HERE...... DANG caplocks ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I aLWAYS DRESS WARM AND OFTEN BRNG A CHANGE OF CLOTHES, AS i DRIVE BOATS AND SNOWMACHINES.......NO ROADS HERE...... DANG caplocks ~~LOL!!~~
    Yeah, but if you were a LosAnchorage/Mat-Su suburbanite driving an F350 towing a trailer full of ATV's to unit 13, or a boat to the launch for your weekend cabin on the Skwentna, what would you wear?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yeah, but if you were a LosAnchorage/Mat-Su suburbanite driving an F350 towing a trailer full of ATV's to unit 13, or a boat to the launch for your weekend cabin on the Skwentna, what would you wear?
    A flat brimmed DG ball cap, Oakley Cocoons, and Michael Waddell Mossy Oak diner wear?

Who needs Burning Man? We've got mini towns at every pullout from Palmer to Eureka.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Not sure if this intended to be harsh but...

I'm just a simple guy. I live in Meadow Lakes and have never had a hunting partner. Everything I've learned has been 100 percent on my own. I grew up in the valley and learned to dipnet when I was 24 years old after years of trying to fill my freezer other ways for years. I have tried moose hunting since I was 16 and only in the last 4 years have learned to call them in though I have never called anything in close enough to take because I don't want to lose my gun or my plane due to being not legal. I have shot a caribou and two bears but I feel like it was dumb luck and not skill. We ate them all. That being said, and being from Mat-Su, I do wear shorts and a T-shirt because it's comfortable for the long drive.

I was just curious what people's routines were and why.

I don't think anybody is faulting you personally, 907. It's just that some of us have seen how far outdoorsmen have gone from being rugged individualists who figure things out for themselves, to people who need advice for everything... apparently even what clothing to arrive at destination! There seems to be a preoccupation with needing advice on every aspect of life: eating, sleeping, traveling, shooting... only a few seem capable of figuring out what suits them. Just find out what works for you and stick with it. Likely people will copy you.
    My advice is this: choose what is cheap, effective and durable. I recommend Value Village for clothing, and garage sales for gear. Look for American made. Save bucks for guns, gas and food.

I wear short shorts..

In the spirit of Tiaga, and Sayak, Id venture out in jeans and a tee shirt, , everything else is changable according to my needs and layers therof.....

For that matter, everything from rain gear to -40 Parkas, milsurp for outdoors clothing is not only a good bargin, but sized right, tested and approved as well as easily available and in proper colors, even cammo.....and no flashy bran names, either.....I like German Flec on the tundra, best quality and a cammo that litterally lets you dissapear, in summer at least....but the wife wears it great, even on muddy Mammoth hunts......I bet she would wear 'em anywhere
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's usually something unusual.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

My Tarzan Loin Cloth.........unless it is raining then I wear my Kelly Hanson yellow loin cloth........in the winter I wear my Eddie Bauer Expedition Super Down Thermal loin cloth. It freaks out the cops when I get pulled over. They just look.....then puke......then say, "Get the hell out of my sight, you are one sick geriatric pervert"..........

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    My Tarzan Loin Cloth.........unless it is raining then I wear my Kelly Hanson yellow loin cloth........in the winter I wear my Eddie Bauer Expedition Super Down Thermal loin cloth. It freaks out the cops when I get pulled over. They just look.....then puke......then say, "Get the hell out of my sight, you are one sick geriatric pervert"..........
    If you are a fan of loin clothes... why not get one made out of the arctic oven tent material! That would be the ultimate loin cloth, lightweight, waterproof, and most importantly breathable!

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    What do you wear when you drive?
    Nothing but a blindfold.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    If you are a fan of loin clothes... why not get one made out of the arctic oven tent material! That would be the ultimate loin cloth, lightweight, waterproof, and most importantly breathable!
    wouldn't Tyvek fit in better?

That is for sheep and/or polar bear hunting..........

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    wouldn't Tyvek fit in better?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    That is for sheep and/or polar bear hunting..........
    Ha ha ha! I'll have to keep that in mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast