Thread: A 1969 Switch Rod? Bamboo No Less?

Default A 1969 Switch Rod? Bamboo No Less?

I recently bought a barely used 1969 Hardy #7 Wye Palakona, and it arrived this week. Billed as Hardy's dry fly salmon rod and 11' long, it's more of a 1969 bamboo version of a switch rod than a true spey. But instinct said it would be ideal for my needs. Nothing would do, but to wet it today. First trip to the water, sight fishing in a lake, third cast of the day, it proved its merit. Yeoman service and fresh coho for dinner guests tonight.

My wife got in on the act, too, but with her usual graphite. Who can resist spotting fish in the calm between wind riffles, then watching the hit?

And the payoff, first of her six caught and released in a couple of hours.

Beautiful!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Nice rod! What kind of ferrels does it have and how many pieces?
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Nice rod! What kind of ferrels does it have and how many pieces?
    It's a 2-piece, with Hardy's classic twist lock ferrule. I really like it a lot!

Hey bb,

Id like to get the specs from it. Mic it out. Im looking at a dew spey tapers off the classic forum. Havent made it your way yet.

Dan
    Akdan76

Few..... Not dew! Grrr typos

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Hey bb,

Id like to get the specs from it. Mic it out. Im looking at a dew spey tapers off the classic forum.
    Happy to do it. I'm assuming you want diameters at regular distances from end to end, but you'll need to spell it out for me. It's a 2-piece by the way, so you'll be looking for a good source of looong bamboo.

With only a couple of days casting behind me, I'm still searching for the perfect line. It seems pretty specific in what it wants. I've been traditional spey casting for 40 years, but I have a ways to go with this one so far. Dandy for overhead casting, long as your arm holds up with such a heavy rod, but good speys with it are still just behond my fingertips.

I'll msg on ya CC with my email.

I got the boo in hand and more down by you waiting for me to get south to grab it. Got whacked with a heat issue at the house, cutting wood like the dickens now. Not sure if I have anything with enough power fibers in this batch for a big stick, I'll have to check with my buddy.

Lathe just arrived today too, dang the timing lol.

Do ya think she's hollowed at all?

I'll need all the specs, cork lengths, reel seat, guide spacing and thickness's at I believe 5" increments, will double check. More info the better. I'll probably stick to a scarf joint instead of ferrules on it and likely hollow it to liven it up a bit if it isn't already. Will help the single handed side casting fo sho!

Either way once I get the specs on thickness's, I can chart it out and see how she bends. Have to guess on varnish thickness but I'd guess .003 unless it appears thick.

Will drop you a msg with my email. You don't by chance have any of E.W. Edwards sticks do you? I'm looking for one in particular, have interest in a few others.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm still searching for the perfect line.
    What kind of line would be your optimal choice? I recently got to play with a 10'9" bamboo made by a local anchorage rodsmith and found I could really make it work well with an airflo skagit switch line. Fun stuff. Will be interested to hear what line your Hardy likes the best!

I've found several lines that work (best is a 10WT full Rio Outbound-37' head) for overhead casting. Shorter heads are out for me on overhead casting. Just my twitch. Hate em. I'm mostly searching for a "full" spey line. If I'm overhead casting with shorter heads I can throw about as far with a 9' or 10' rod as with a spey/switch rod, but it looks like the Hardy wants a 50'-60' head for traditional spey casting. Hard to keep the head on the water in a double-spey cast with only a 40' head. I can overhead cast a 50' head pretty easily and it's okay for double spey, but I'm not sure on the 60. It might have to be a pretty specific taper to let me both spey and overhead cast with it. I have half a dozen older traditional spey lines with heads in the 80'-90' range. Pure rockets with a double spey cast on 14'-15' rods, but pretty useless on the 11' rod.

It will be interesting he hear if you find a line that works well both overhead and spey casting. Difficult task, and giving up one way for the other leads to a line that neither overhead or spey casts very well, in my experience. Two spools and two lines is the way I roll. Best of luck with that sweet 'new' cane stick!

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Difficult task, and giving up one way for the other leads to a line that neither overhead or spey casts very well, in my experience. Two spools and two lines is the way I roll.
    I suspect that will be the case here too. I have better luck overhead casting spey rods than spey-casting switch rods unless the line is just right. Better to simply have two lines for this one, I suspect. I pulled out a long body spey line last night and the rod cast it with aplomb. But overhead casting with it sukkkkkkkked!

Thanks for your feedback. This one has come along so late in the year, it may be next spring before I get it all sorted out.

I am new to Alaska, but I am blown away by your "new" rod and the fact that you were sight fishing to silvers in a lake. Is this common? Great job on all accounts!