Thread: Valdez Charters

Default Valdez Charters

I have my brother in law and two of his friends arriving later today. Considering heading to Valdez on Wednesday for three days. Do you guys know of any charters that are still fishing for bottom fish or of anyone that rents boats? Also curious if the shore fishing at Allison Point or the boat harbor is still producing silvers? First trip to Alaska for two of these old timers and I'd like to find them some fish to catch....

Located in Eagle River and open to going anywhere to put them on fish. Would you go to Valdez or head south towards Homer, Seward or PWS out of Whittier?

Appreciate any suggestions or help..... Thanks

Often times the Seiners in Valdez will really hit the Silvers hard after Labor Day. That being said though with this late labor day there are some in town (including the guy who cleans all the fish at the cleaning tables) who wonders how many seiners will be out since a lot of them have already pulled their boats. I can attest to the fact that there are more big boats up high and dry in the parking lot then I have seen in years past. So not sure what you will get for silvers in that regard. I talked to two charter guys today who said tomorrow is their last trip out for the year but you may be able to find someone just not the two I would recommend (not saying good or bad about others just have only ever used those two).

Thanks Jaeger33 for the reply. We're headed to Valdez wednesday to fish Allison Point thursday and weather dependant, the gulf friday. I was able to talk Randy Pile into making one more trip before calling it quits for the year.
    Any updates on shore fishing is greatly appreciated.

Goody, I have known Randy for 30 years but have not touched base with him for at least three or so. Please tell him Ken F. says hello. A good dude and good fisher!!!! You can't go wrong
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I'll definitely let him know that you said hello.

Just got back home to Indiana, after getting bumped from 2 halibut charters during the week for weather and a breakdown, went out for halibut with capt. Randy on Saturday. Fishing started off slow, only 1 in the boat after the first 2 hours, but we kept fishing and finally got our limit by the time to head in. Nothing crazy, but biggest fish was about 30lbs...capt. Randy also caught a ling cod.

as for fishing silvers, we only fished from shore all week, between areas around town and Allison point, we probably caught about 80-90 silvers, fishing the rising tide and a little bit after it started falling. Most fish caught in a day was Friday, we caught 18 in about 3 hours...an awesome day! Most fish were caught on spinners of various colors. Most were also caught sight fishing, wear polarized sunglasses and you can see them cruising the shoreline with the dying pinks and just cast right out in front of them and reel it past their faces, most will smash it...a few just keep swimming. Biggest fish caught for us for the week was 13.7 pounds, would have won the daily derby, but didn't buy a ticket.