Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poachers Again

Default Poachers Again

I have heard of many sub legal bulls left to rot on the Kenai again. 2 just yesterday off the Escape Route and Marathon road. 40" bulls shot and left, but luckily discovered by other hunters while the meat was still salvageable. A white Ford F150 was seen hauling ass away from the one on the escape route. A 42" bull was shot and the meat taken on Mental Health land. The rack left behind. Every other back road smells of rotting flesh. We will never see a 50" bull around here because the weekend warriors see a 40 and blast it only to haul butt after they realize their mistake. Sadly F&W sits on their asses in the office waiting for the call instead of patrolling out in the field. It's been years since I've seen a Trooper vehicle out checking licenses. I would venture to say that a large share of the bow hunters these days do not have an archery card. Also there were folks out hunting before season this year who did not read the regs about the date changes. F&W should have been out watching for them. If they put a 45" robo moose up on the escape rout, it wouldn't last 5 minutes.
    Rant over, for now.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I have heard of many sub legal bulls left to rot on the Kenai again. 2 just yesterday off the Escape Route and Marathon road. 40" bulls shot and left, but luckily discovered by other hunters while the meat was still salvageable. A white Ford F150 was seen hauling ass away from the one on the escape route. A 42" bull was shot and the meat taken on Mental Health land. The rack left behind. Every other back road smells of rotting flesh. We will never see a 50" bull around here because the weekend warriors see a 40 and blast it only to haul butt after they realize their mistake. Sadly F&W sits on their asses in the office waiting for the call instead of patrolling out in the field. It's been years since I've seen a Trooper vehicle out checking licenses. I would venture to say that a large share of the bow hunters these days do not have an archery card. Also there were folks out hunting before season this year who did not read the regs about the date changes. F&W should have been out watching for them. If they put a 45" robo moose up on the escape rout, it wouldn't last 5 minutes.
    Rant over, for now.
    Couldn't agree more, I see questionable activity out there every year, never actually seen poaching but some really odd behavior. I sure don't understand what all the enforcement guys are doing, there can't be many more obvious places, maybe swanson river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose Lives Matter.

Every moose is Cecil the Moose.

Stop killing the tweeners.

Remember that those with Federal Tags have easier antler requirements, and the season on Kenai opened Sept. 10'th for rifle, for those with Federal Harvest tags. So there is "Some" small chance this may have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Remember that those with Federal Tags have easier antler requirements, and the season on Kenai opened Sept. 10'th for rifle, for those with Federal Harvest tags. So there is "Some" small chance this may have been possible.
    Correction AGL... Opened AUGUST 10th-- not "September".
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

YES, You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Correction AGL... Opened AUGUST 10th-- not "September".

How does one go about getting a federal tag?

How does one go about getting a federal tag?
    Smokeross... I think u are from Nikiski, yes? If so, u are NOT one of the 'chosen' ones. We from Hope, Cooper Landing, Ninilchik, and a few other 'special' spots have been granted 'special' privileges. So to qualify, all u have to do is move your residence.

And, I may add some clarification on a possible misperceptions on the Fed hunting matter. The Fed permit only allows hunting moose on FEDERAL LANDS with the relaxed requirements. It is NOT a carte Blanche Unit 15 free for all.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

GRRRRRRRRR........Yes, Aug. 11'th there were two Fed. Legal moose in my yard, but my yard is NOT Federal. It is surrounded by Federal Land. I considered pushing them off to Federal Land, but did not. GRRRRRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    The Fed permit only allows hunting moose on FEDERAL LANDS with the relaxed requirements.

I am not aware of Federal land on the escape route. Also pretty sure the 'special' rules do not allow shoot and release of 40" bulls.

Poachers Again
    I currently live in a bow only unit. During the season, it's common on most any given night to hear a single rifle shot at midnight +/- an hour or so. At that hour, it's as dark as the inside of a cow. There's no question what's occurring.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I am not aware of Federal land on the escape route. Also pretty sure the 'special' rules do not allow shoot and release of 40" bulls.
    You're correct, there Ian any directly on it but it skirts it by a half mile or so in a few spots.

Subsistence is doing well on the refuge. They got about 80 days they can hunt. It is not any bull, it is s/f 50 or 3 bt. But with that kind of opportunity and some of it in October when bulls are usually easier to get, if you're a Kenai subsistence hunter and complain I have no sympathy for you.

It's really not that hard to tell the difference between a 42 inch and 52 inch. Most of the illegal Bulls shot on the Kenai fall in the category of what I consider not even close. There are also some people that blatantly shoot 45 inch moose and never get caught. Unfortunate cause those people take away from ethical hunters waiting for a 50 inch bull.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Subsistence is doing well on the refuge. They got about 80 days they can hunt. It is not any bull, it is s/f 50 or 3 bt. But with that kind of opportunity and some of it in October when bulls are usually easier to get, if you're a Kenai subsistence hunter and complain I have no sympathy for you.

It's really not that hard to tell the difference between a 42 inch and 52 inch. Most of the illegal Bulls shot on the Kenai fall in the category of what I consider not even close. There are also some people that blatantly shoot 45 inch moose and never get caught. Unfortunate cause those people take away from ethical hunters waiting for a 50 inch bull.

Couldn't agree more. The 50's are rare because the bed wetters shoot the 40's like it was going out of style.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I saw two guys loading a sub legal bull into their rig yesterday in unit 13 near Sheep Mountain. No cell service tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I saw two guys loading a sub legal bull into their rig yesterday in unit 13 near Sheep Mountain. No cell service tho.
    Community harvest perhaps?

I have no idea what is implied by "Bed Wetters"........??? Does that refer to youth, children, ?????

Couldn't agree more. The 50's are rare because the bed wetters shoot the 40's like it was going out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have no idea what is implied by "Bed Wetters"........??? Does that refer to youth, children, ?????
    .....still wet behind the ears when it comes to hunting experience.....greenhorns.

But I seriously doubt it's always that. There are slime balls out there that just like to kill things for the sake of doing so.....virtually no regard for the value of wildlife.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    How do you know they weren't on their way to turn it in?

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Buddy of mine came across 3 dead bulls the other day. Two racks were cut off along with the testicles, rest was left to rot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast