Thread: To the Jerk in the Yellow Charter boat out of Whittier

Default To the Jerk in the Yellow Charter boat out of Whittier

Last week, after completing our salmon seine season and towing a disabled sport boat to Whittier (which happens way too frequently), we were cleaning out our seine in Passage Canal. At the time, Passage Canal was open for seine fishing, and if I wanted, I could have set my net off the jetty near the harbor entrance. However, since I was merely cleaning the kelp and trash from my net, I could have done that regardless of whether the area was open for fishing if I informed ADF&G that I was cleaning my net and the time and location that I was doing so. While cleaning our net, a yellow charter boat drives up to within an unsafe distance and begins video taping us, flipping us off, crotch grabbing and thrusting, and yelling curses at us.

Apparently, this jerk then called the Troopers and argued with the enforcement officer about our right to be there. The Trooper then called me to inform me that a complaint was made, but that there was no basis for the complaint and no further action would be taken.

I'm not sure whether this guy realizes it or not, but almost all the coho and chinook salmon available for sport harvest in PWS is paid for by a 3% tax on our gross income. Currently, there is a movement among the fleet to eliminate these sport releases because at each Board of Fish meeting, some charter operator wants to close areas to seine fishing to allow more coho into the harbor areas. We can just quit growing these fish and not have to worry about being regulated out of business like cook inlet.

Also, I don't know how many recreational boaters I've towed into town or kept off the rocks in a windstorm. Most people are very grateful to be helped and probably have a feeling of security knowing guys like me are out there.

As for you, yellow charter boat guy, you should go back into whatever hole you crawled out of and stay there. We don't need you or your kind out there on the water, or here in this great state.

Well said Seinerman.

And I lay money on something:

If you ever see that same jerk needing a tow to town or rescue from the rocks, you'll pony right up and help him. That's the Alaska way, which he clearly doesn't get.

I understand your reasons for being out there, what I dont understand is why alot of the charter guys think its there spot or there areas?? I have had a few friends that have had run ins with the charter guys and just dont understand the way they act at all. As for the towing in sport guys, we always appreciate the help and I would do the same for anyone also.

Oh you gotta love those guys……they are the ones who inevitably do something stupid and need help…….ah Karma
    Sorry you had that experience though, people should just mind their own business. If you feel someone is in the wrong, call or say something in a polite manner, then leave. The rest of the dog and pony show is not needed.

Yellow charter boat,,, sounds like a real class act. Thats always been the problem with charter boats every loser that can't get a job thinks he can fish and make some money. Thats why you end with people like that in the industry. The Kenai river is full of them. Most guys like that aren't around long.

The commercial industry has always supported fish stocks for sport fishing. The greed and mentality of sport fishing is they just want it all to themselves they dont like to share for the good of all. That attitude has got to change.

I've now heard of several bad charter operators or behaviors by them just this year out of Whittier. There behavior needs to be filmed and shown around.

Thanks for the "Tow Services" you provide. I apologize for the harassment. Please keep paying that tax!! I love to kill Kings and Coho in the Sound. Hope you filled that seine up with more than just kelp this year!

Quote Originally Posted by keepin r' wet View Post
    I understand your reasons for being out there, what I dont understand is why alot of the charter guys think its there spot or there areas?? I have had a few friends that have had run ins with the charter guys and just dont understand the way they act at all. As for the towing in sport guys, we always appreciate the help and I would do the same for anyone also.
    We've had minor problems with charter people but nothing like this. The biggest problem we've encountered is the charter boat trying to shove my wife off the line we are trolling. There will be an established pattern going on some days and these charter people will try to push in going the opposite direction. The first time it happened I thought we going to get hit. My wife is very stubborn and didn't give an inch. Suddenly she was being eye-balled through binos. I told her that and she opened her window and smiled in their direction. (this was her technique when she was a manager for one of the big outdoor companies when irate customers were screaming).

Thanks for all the replies and pms. Hopefully, this guy will see this and try to be more reasonable. On another note, moose hunting was great this year!

Seinerman,
    I hope your back still hurts from packing out that moose!

Quote Originally Posted by wenzelldo View Post
    Seinerman,
    I hope your back still hurts from packing out that moose!
    haha! everything hurts! Except the taste buds. It's a good one!