Thread: 270 to 338-06 rebore?

Default 270 to 338-06 rebore?

I have a Tikka t3 in 270 and was considering have it rebored to a 338-06. would it be better to rebarrel rather than rebore? Any experience with the 338-06? Thanks

Call JES.... he can likely just re-bore your existing barrel. I've known several folks who had the conversion done and were super pleased.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by peaceman View Post
    I have a Tikka t3 in 270 and was considering have it rebored to a 338-06. would it be better to rebarrel rather than rebore? Any experience with the 338-06? Thanks
    JES did two of them for me. He charges $225 and that includes return shipping. 35caliber.com.

I have had JES do some 358 Winchester and a couple of 30-30 to 375 Winchester conversion. I have never heard a negative comment and a whole lot of good ones concerning Jes's work.

Dan Pederson tells me he won't touch anything made by Sako that was button rifled . . . says the steel they use for button barrels cuts to a ruff finish that needs to much lapping and finishes oversize with his tooling. Now I'm no rifling cutter but Dan sure is so I'm inclined to pay him heed.

Jes is a great guy and does superb work but I'd sure ask him about the Tikka/Sako steel and if he has worked any of it.

I can Re-barrel to 338-06 using a button rifled Green Mountain blank for $350 (goes way up for cut rifled) so Jess is a better option if his tooling will do it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona