Thread: Kenai Pen Blackie

Default Kenai Pen Blackie

So we are up hunting Blackies for the week and have put on over 22 miles in the mountains. Frozen, flat worn out and tired we retreaded out of the mountains today without a single Blackie spotted. Been here and done this hunt successfully a few times now and always had some sort of luck but have no idea what the deal is. Bad berry year, too cold at night, recent wild fires in the area or what??? We will be here through the weekend and would greatly appreciate anyone tossing us a bone as to an area to check out. With a shower, big greesy burger and a couple beers tonight we should have another hike to the top of a mountain on our boots. Thanks in advance guys!

Quote Originally Posted by dhosera View Post
    So we are up hunting Blackies for the week and have put on over 22 miles in the mountains. Frozen, flat worn out and tired we retreaded out of the mountains today without a single Blackie spotted. Been here and done this hunt successfully a few times now and always had some sort of luck but have no idea what the deal is. Bad berry year, too cold at night, recent wild fires in the area or what??? We will be here through the weekend and would greatly appreciate anyone tossing us a bone as to an area to check out. With a shower, big greesy burger and a couple beers tonight we should have another hike to the top of a mountain on our boots. Thanks in advance guys!
    Good luck you are going to need it. I have been keeping a half an eye out for a week now and not seen even one.

Haven't been in the mountains yet this year but I'll suggest the obvious, do something different when you go back out. There are so many fish in the rivers still I suspect they just haven't moved up on the mountains yet.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Haven't been in the mountains yet this year but I'll suggest the obvious, do something different when you go back out. There are so many fish in the rivers still I suspect they just haven't moved up on the mountains yet.
    What rivers have you been seeing black bears on? The upper kenai is flooding and there are not hardly any dead salmon to be had since they are just beginning to spawn in numbers, and they don't really hang on the rivers like the brownies do anyways.

amazing berry year. No need to get high with berries down in brush. They'll be up top in a week or 2. For now, just fish with them. No need to shoot one on a river unless you don't eat the meat.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    amazing berry year. No need to get high with berries down in brush. They'll be up top in a week or 2. For now, just fish with them. No need to shoot one on a river unless you don't eat the meat.
    Good advice... if the bears aren't up high then they are down low where the food is.

Try calling with a squealer at lower elevations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post

I really want to do this, just not alone...

I hiked Johnson pass trail this weekend from the North side approximately 5 miles and did not see any black bears, was hoping for some fresh meat for the freezer. I did not see many blue berries on the bushes.

The blueberries were extremely early this year, but are now starting to shrivel up. The Black Bears are just now moving up into the "RED & ORANGE" alpine to feed on the small black berries.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post

I hiked Summit Creek trail for about 4 miles seeing only 1 bear at 400 yards, called to see if I could get him to come closer... Didn't work the besr ran very fast up the mountian an lost it. Could have just been a younger bear but I would say stalk him don't try to call.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I blew a dying rabbit call at one once, he looked my way for a while and the sauntered off. Definitely wasn't confidence building!

Don't feel bad, a week of glassing, well over 40 miles traveled and not a single black bear. I'm sitting in the airport now waiting to head home. We did see a grizzly and cub on Upper Russian Lake. We saw tons of tracks on the trails. Mostly at lower elevations but I guess I wasn't smart enough to switch tactics. We tried the rabbit call too with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I blew a dying rabbit call at one once, he looked my way for a while and the sauntered off. Definitely wasn't confidence building!

He probably already had a belly full of calf moose....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yeah really weird year. We ended up hiking in 3 different drainage's that have all produced in the past and not a SINGLE bear spotted up high. Its normally not IF you will see a bear, its picking which one is in the best position to get a stalk on. So bruised and battered from the mountains we switched focus and tore up the fishing better than we have done in the past! Silvers were abundant and so fresh the sea lice were still on them. Also...Came back to MI Monday and had (3) buddies with tags here in da UP that shot a 300 and a 350lber this weekend over bait. So got my bear hunting fix this year chasing them in the Alaskan Mountains and with Running baits n such here in MI.... Its just the waiting 9 years to draw a 1st season tag here in MI that's the killer here.

Bears go (and stay) where the food is, plain and simple. Only if something changes that scenario will they leave what sustains them.

It's not an apples-to-apples scanrio, but I just returned from Kodiak where we didn't spot one bear up high--grateful for that! Roland from Seahawk said he hadn't seen a single bear up high for weeks, they are all on fish. And Kodiak is having an excellent fish run.

Moral of the story? Timing is everything with the bears...
    Proud to be an American!