Thread: Pa11 & 18 Fuselage

Default Pa11 & 18 Fuselage

Other than the spar, what is the differences in the two? Bracing, weight, tubing size etc. Also, if a guy had a 18 fuselage, would 13 rib pa11 wings bolt up to it? Any other insight appreciated

[QUOTE=hunt/trapak88;1501207]Other than the spar, what is the differences in the two? Bracing, weight, tubing size etc. Also, if a guy had a 18 fuselage, would 13 rib pa11 wings bolt up to it? Any other insight appreciated[/QUOTE

Don't know for sure, but my 1952 agricultural Super Cub (125 hp) had 13-rib wings. After an accident, that wing was replaced with a 15-rib wing, and it simply was bolted on. The exchange was made on a gravel bar along the Stony River. That makes me think that the two models are interchangeable . . . Just my $0.02 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    Also, if a guy had a 18 fuselage, would 13 rib pa11 wings bolt up to it? Any other insight appreciated
    Top deck of fuse / wing attach points completely different. So no. Not without a bunch of reverse engineering. $.

What AK-Hunt said.

The PA-18 tubing is larger and the PA-11 has different Spar design where it meets above the cockpit.
    The PA-11 was a modified J3 and on the same Type Cert as the J3. While it may look a-lot like a PA-18-95 externally , it is not.

Here is how the PA-11 / J-3C wing spars meet above the panel.....SEE PICS
    The PA-18 wings attach to the frame in a totally different way without any through spar business.

I cannot find the pics I had of my old flat top PA-18A with the wings off.

I still cannot see any of my own photos but supposedly everyone else can see them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

You guys are right. My wings both were designed for the PA-18, so my flat top Super Cub, though quite old, was still a Super Cub by design. Sorry to have been wrong in my guess ...................... !

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    You guys are right. My wings both were designed for the PA-18, so my flat top Super Cub, though quite old, was still a Super Cub by design. Sorry to have been wrong in my guess ...................... !
    The only difference between 13 and 15 rib wings is the 15 has a higher Vne. It doesn't effect the gross weight.