Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoot/don't shoot?

Default Shoot/don't shoot?

We let this guy walk yesterday, then argued about it all night. Only 3 brow tines, Unit 13. Guesses on size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

You let a 53" walk, lol. Man thats a tough one.. Call him? how are they reacting to calls?

I saw a similar bull in unit 13 Tuesday morning as well. Torture, first light walking away, but could never get a clean view. I say it's always safer to walk away that make an oops.

On a side note, I definitely had my integrity checked when a fork horn browsed 100 yards from my tent Monday evening, 3-hours before being legal. He just stood there, like he knew. Season ain't over yet, though...

I'm always one to err on the side of caution, but I'd have a hard time letting that one walk. I'd wager somewhere around 54" - darn near big enough for me to shoot without the requisite brow tines.

I'd agree with Brian and Irish (especially about not shooting until you're sure). I'd guess mid to upper 50's. Beautiful animal.

Another pic

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Id say go find him again. I think you have plenty of room to be off a couple inches with him. I'm guessing 55.

My first thought matches with what these guys are saying. 50"+ easy, IMO.

Yes easy 55

I would be getting a lot closer to him to make the shot. Was he listening to calls at all?

I would shoot. 100% sure.

Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

At 8 .5" between antlers. Got atleast 2.5 of those on either side. 59" bull. Mistake not to shoot

Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Im with the others, My guess is around 55"+, my moose was 3 and 2 last year (16a) and didnt even look 50" due to the look of his antlers, boy was I surprised when I measured him at 55".

Easy. Shoot. Cause he is in DM772 and you have an any bull permit, otherwise pass up.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

There's an old-school adf&g video (I watched it on VHS, but I bet they put it to DVD) that gives tips on assessing legality of moose in a 50"+ area, and one of their tips is that if the bull turns his head to the side, and the tip of his antler extends past his shoulder hump, he's probably a shooter. Obviously, there's no sure trick other than to put a tape to him, but your first pic shows that his antler tip extends comfortably past his shoulder hump. I admire your restraint, and take comfort in the fact that people can guess away, but you'll never know for sure, so no matter what, you did the "right thing". -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I agree with most... well over 50, pushing 60 perhaps.

I love these threads.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Default Shoot/don't shoot?

Curses, I'm kicking myself for not shooting him now. Looking at the pictures now I can see how clear it is but I get so anxious in the field now since I took one sub legal bull. In my mind now, he's got to have the brow tines or look like a 55+. Arrgh.

On another note, we found a shed antler and got to within maybe 50 yards of him and got into a good thrashing and grunting match but he wouldn't leave the thick stuff where he had 3 cows. It was exhilarating nonetheless and tolerable to walk away since we already had a spike fork in the bag. Good times. Next year he'll be 60".

Or I'll give GPS coordinates of where he was yesterday for $1000 OBO.

Nice bull... there's a frustrated hunter in another thread that sounds like he might be willing to take you up on the coordinates.

Dude, that was a for sure shooter. I would bet good money that two of those longer tines would have put him out a 60". Without those tines he's a solid 55" moose.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

It took me about half a second to pull the trigger on that first pic... Ok, the second pic, in favor of the superior shot angle. You get my drift...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast