Thread: Ruger 77 short action stock

Default Ruger 77 short action stock

I have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 243. It is stainless so it came with the black Tupper ware stock. I have found a pretty walnut stock that came off a new Ruger 77 chambered in 300 RCM(ruger compact magnum). In my mind I think my 243 will drop right into that RCM stock. Am I not correct?

Hmmm. Well if you have your Rugers correct. There M77 Hawkeye is what came out after the M77 Mark II. I am not sure what changes Ruger made to distinguish the Hawkeye to the Mark II. All I know is that the Hawkeye has the matte stainless finish vs the shiny gloss stainless of the Mark II.

The 300 RCM is also a short action like the .243 so that should work. Other than that you have to compare barrel profiles. Most places that sell stocks will let you bring in your action. You buying online maybe?

I bet you are going to be ok.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 243. It is stainless so it came with the black Tupper ware stock. I have found a pretty walnut stock that came off a new Ruger 77 chambered in 300 RCM(ruger compact magnum). In my mind I think my 243 will drop right into that RCM stock. Am I not correct?
    Yes, I'd bet it will. I used a stock off of a .243 and put it on a 338rcm........................
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I'd bet a quick call to Ruger would get ya an answer post haste. 😜

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Maybe, a difference in the Barrel Chanel?????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    I'd bet a quick call to Ruger would get ya an answer post haste. 
    I'd say the barrel contours are not the same. But 2dawgs is correct. Call and confirm: 336-949-5200 follow the prompts and have your s/n ready.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Yes, I'd bet it will. I used a stock off of a .243 and put it on a 338rcm........................
    Ah ha! someone who has been there and done that only in reverse. The stock is $200 so I wanted to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    I'd bet a quick call to Ruger would get ya an answer post haste. 😜
    Don't much of nothing happen post haste at Ruger these days. I think they are understaffed. The last time I called them I asked a real easy question about a rear sight for a tang safety 77. "tang" isn't on the flow chart either because I got told that wasn't one of their models offered in the model 77 line. I told her that it was prior to the MKII and she said it must be really old. I said yes but not older than dirt cuz it was new when I was in my 20's and dirt was invented when I was a kid. I hung up fully convinced that there never was a tang safety 77.

EKC, if you are unsure about that stock working I have one sitting by a gun safe that you can have!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Don't much of nothing happen post haste at Ruger these days. I think they are understaffed. The last time I called them I asked a real easy question about a rear sight for a tang safety 77. "tang" isn't on the flow chart either because I got told that wasn't one of their models offered in the model 77 line. I told her that it was prior to the MKII and she said it must be really old. I said yes but not older than dirt cuz it was new when I was in my 20's and dirt was invented when I was a kid. I hung up fully convinced that there never was a tang safety 77.
    Heck, well that makes two of us who don't own such a thing as does not exist!

The newer Ruger black tupperware stocks are quite stiff and take bedding well they are quite nice for cheap stock. Must have used a better grade of
    recycled plastic!!

thats funny right there, I don't care who ya are. Well so much for my idea, did she ask you what It was like to sail on the Santa mariea. Lol 😂