Thread: What Makes King Salmon Flesh Red or White?

Default What Makes King Salmon Flesh Red or White?

Since this topic always seems to come up, I thought this would be a good read.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=738
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks for the link -

I caught my first white king out of Whittier this summer - looking forward to having some!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I caught a white king in Valdez several years ago. It was the best salmon I ever had. The flavor is quite different from regular Kings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

All the same "flavor" IMHO. Caught "Ivory King" in California, Oregon, Washington and Alaska! Fishmongers try to promote it as a special product down here in Washington state and I always roll my eyes!

The difference in flavor is primarily between feeder king and those returning to spawn, even if caught in the salt. Huge difference there, but between red and white...not so much in my experience.

Just caught a white yesterday in Valdez man was it awesome in the line. Thanks for the read.

I'm with Brian, never noticed any difference in taste between red and white, texture is different, white is oilier I'd call it I guess. About 40% of my kings last spring, and probably 20% this year were whites.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The difference in flavor is primarily between feeder king and those returning to spawn, even if caught in the salt.
    And how!

The difference between white and red feeders is subtle. We eat a lot of fish (a whole lot!) with little of it seasoned, so our palettes are probably more tuned. We notice the biggest difference in taste in the bellies, especially in sushi. We've tested it on a lot of dinner guests, and some get it, some don't. If there's a "thread" running through it, folks who are real demanding about fish quality tend to notice a difference. Folks who didn't grow up eating a lot of fish don't notice.