Thread: Gulkana

Default Gulkana

I took my jet boat to the Gulkana for the first time this weekend. The water was quite low. I did well for the most part. I had to jump a small gravel bar comeing down stream as there was people standing all the way across the channel fishing.
    Others did not fare soo well. In the one day I was there I saw one guy run into the old bridge pileings right after launching. He had borrowed his friends new boat and seemed to have limited experience. He put a 2 foot hole in the side of the boat and threw himself and two passengers overboard. They were shaken but not hurt.
    Up river I saw a newer sport john bouncing off rocks all the way down river. When it was back on the trailer the bottom was ruined. He had run a total of 1/2 mile up river from the bridge.
    Long story short, if you are new to jetboating the Gulkana is not a good place to learn.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

What boat did you have? I know I wouldn't think of doing the lower river right now. Real tricky spot just up from the bridge to negotiate. Not too impressed whenever I see people clogging the main channel either.

Default My boat

I have a 16-54 allweld with a honda 50-35 jet. I installed a stand up center console that sure helps for reading the river. I would not have felt comfortable in the bigger jets the way the water is now. I was not too upset with the guys standing in the channel as most would say the jet boats should not be runing now.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

When were you there? We pulled out at the bridge at 11 Sat night. Saw a sweet little boat under the bridge, but don't remember much about it. I hung the raft on a rock trying to avoid a couple guys out in the channel farther upstream. I guess I won't give them a wide berth next time. Maybe give them a high five on the way by!

Default I was there sunday

and monday. My boat is the same size as the one you saw but higher quality. I did see that boat runing the river and they did ine as well. The problems I saw were more boater than boat. I was just glad the other boaters educations came in the form of money and not lives. I estimated I saw at least $10000 in boat dammage to 3 boats in 2 hours.

I agree. Much easier to repair the boat. Sounds like the welding shops are gonna do well after this weekend.

Default to the mouth

wk,
    I think I saw you this weekend. There was one boat on Sat morning that went past the sandbar hole upriver which was I thought was interesting, was that you? The only problem I would see is the powerboaters obviously need to keep on step in areas where they could run into problems when there are rafts in the way. I'm not talking about clogging the chanel just some curves where due to the depth & current both boats would take the same line. Sunday I thought I was going to see this but the two guys in the power boat were courteous & smart enough to stop on shore before the curve & wait for the rafts in the general area to clear.
    Anyway what about going to the mouth ? Can you make from the bridge down ? I have never been there but would think if possible there would be not much traffic & should be some good fishing as the king numbers seemed fairly good this weekend?

Default re

I think I saw you this weekend. There was one boat on Sat morning that went past the sandbar hole upriver which was I thought was interesting, was that you? The only problem I would see is the powerboaters obviously need to keep on step in areas where they could run into problems when there are rafts in the way. I'm not talking about clogging the chanel just some curves where due to the depth & current both boats would take the same line. Sunday I thought I was going to see this but the two guys in the power boat were courteous & smart enough to stop on shore before the curve & wait for the rafts in the general area to clear.
    Anyway what about going to the mouth ? Can you make from the bridge down ? I have never been there but would think if possible there would be not much traffic & should be some good fishing as the king numbers seemed fairly good this weekend?

Yes, That was me. There is a potential for problems with rafts and jet in the same small channel. It was very shallow down river. I did not have any problems to speak of. I think I will bring the pro-pioneer and float next time though. With all the other rafts, the shallow water, and the people standing in the middle of the river it seems a better way to go. I might bring the jet boat for going down from the bridge to the mouth as there is less traffic there.