Thread: Outboard motor gurus I need some assistance

Default Outboard motor gurus I need some assistance

OK,

I recently purchased a honda 90. I distance purchased it and made the mistake of not asking the shaft length only if it was long or short. Believing that long meant 20 I bought it. Well apparently honda made a 25 inch shaft. Bummer. I can get the transom built up to accommodate the 25 inch shaft not a big deal. However, I was hoping to be able to put a jet pump on this. There is no such thing as a jet pump with a 25 inch shaft. Another bummer.

Honda wasn't sure but they stated that if I took the mid section extension out along with the lower unit then a 20 inch jet pump should be able to be used. Does anyone have any more insight on this? I may just try to buy another motor with a 20 inch shaft but they arent exactly easy to come by in the interior and I would need to sell this one first etc so you get the idea of why I would like to make this work.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

You will still need to get the 20 inch shaft. But that should be all you need. Do you already have the jet unit?

Quote Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
    You will still need to get the 20 inch shaft. But that should be all you need. Do you already have the jet unit?
    I dont. I was planning on buying the jet unit with a 20 inch shaft and swapping it back and forth with the 25 in prop unit (leaving its shaft in it). I run the salt in the spring and early summer and want to be able to get into more shallow water in the fall. It would likely only get changed about 3 or 4 times a year but I still want the capability.

Presume you bought the motor out of state because the price was right, I would think there are two options, neither are great, send the motor back and exchange for a 20" shaft. or buy a 20" lower unit and sell your 25" long shaft lower.

There is a third option, sell the motor and buy a 20"... it might be the best option unless you can find a deal on lower unit... dont know the cost of a Honda lower unit but guessing it would be ~ $1500.00 or more.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Call Trevor at Outbaord Services in Homer; he's Magic and might even have used parts for a Honda 90.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I called a few more shops. No one is really sure but here is the answer I got.......

By pulling the lower and the 5 inch mid section extension block I'm where a 20 inch shaft motor would be. I can mount the jet to that since there is no shift linkage in the jet unit like there is in a prop lower unit.

With the 5 inch mid section extension being out I would not need to raise my transom anymore for a jet either.

I still need to figure out how to pull the studs out of the lower because I think they will be too long to mount the jet but other than that I think it should work...... maybe.

It will work, you will want to adjust the height of the motor once your jet is installed so that the jet is close to even with the bottom of the boat. This will make it a little higher than normal for your prop lower unit, but a good stainless prop should handle that fine. To get those studs out, you can buy a specialty stud remover/installer tool or use a double nut/jam nut on your studs to back them out. If you are going to do that job often, I'd invest in the tool. http://www.restockit.com/assenmacher...ng-Product-Ads
    Find your correct size of course, but that is what I use, the work great.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Akfish1 View Post
    It will work, you will want to adjust the height of the motor once your jet is installed so that the jet is close to even with the bottom of the boat. This will make it a little higher than normal for your prop lower unit, but a good stainless prop should handle that fine. To get those studs out, you can buy a specialty stud remover/installer tool or use a double nut/jam nut on your studs to back them out. If you are going to do that job often, I'd invest in the tool. http://www.restockit.com/assenmacher...ng-Product-Ads
    Find your correct size of course, but that is what I use, the work great.
    How much higher should the prop unit be setup than normal? Half inch or so?

Ill pick one of those tools up. Too easy. It will probably be swapped a few times a year. Early season prop for salt halibut fishing then change over in summer to fish reds and hunt then back in winter to hit the salt again for sea birds.

You will be mounting the motor for the correct jet pump height, the prop lower will just end up about an inch high. You could re-bolt the engine every time for the correct height on each, but a good stainless prop should run fine in that higher position, it simplifies the swap if you don't have to mess with the engine height every time.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Akfish1 View Post
    You will be mounting the motor for the correct jet pump height, the prop lower will just end up about an inch high. You could re-bolt the engine every time for the correct height on each, but a good stainless prop should run fine in that higher position, it simplifies the swap if you don't have to mess with the engine height every time.
    Gotcha. Thats what I want to do. Would rather not bolt and unbolt a 400 lb motor all the time.

if I was in your shoes I would invest in a hydraulic jack plate..........it makes life oh so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    if I was in your shoes I would invest in a hydraulic jack plate..........it makes life oh so much easier.
    Even a manual jack plate would let you fine tune the engine height, since your only doing it a few times a year, I'd save the money and go manual.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Even a manual jack plate would let you fine tune the engine height, since your only doing it a few times a year, I'd save the money and go manual.
    I'm with limon here.
    Save your money and pick up a manual jack plate.
    I put a hydraulic unit on my boat because I need to be able to run shallow with a prop and am adjusting it every time I'm using the boat.
    In your case it will just be a set it and forget it deal. Install the jet foot and adjust jack plate then readjust when you install the prop leg.
    A couple of minutes is all it takes and saves hundreds over the cost of a hydraulic unit.

Can you guys give me some insight on how the jet unit performs with the jack plate? I read somewhere that that it can put the motor too far back into the wake area and cause the jet not to get enough water. Any merit to this?

It can. Add a ''spray skirt'' for lack of a better term, to the back of the boat to keep the water in laminar flow from the back of the boat to the jet foot. Essentially a piece of umhw that maintains the bottom profile of the boat to the start of the jet foot. Very simple, common, and effective solution.
    Bk

This might be the same thing that BK is talking about, but you can get a piece of thick plastic/Teflon/plexi glass.......exc and run it from the jet foot to the hull. I am pretty sure I saw some place that manufactures them, don't remember where though.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    This might be the same thing that BK is talking about, but you can get a piece of thick plastic/Teflon/plexi glass.......exc and run it from the jet foot to the hull. I am pretty sure I saw some place that manufactures them, don't remember where though.
    Exactly. Gary at great land welding can make one. CAC plastic can also help you out.
    Check out some other boats or ask for pics on here for ideas.
    Bk

probably what I will do then. No project is ever simple is it.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Can you guys give me some insight on how the jet unit performs with the jack plate? I read somewhere that that it can put the motor too far back into the wake area and cause the jet not to get enough water. Any merit to this?
    The other issue with jack plates is the setback, The manual model I had from OB jets and the power lift move the motor back 4-5 inches. That is a big lever and will cause the back of the boat to sit 3-4 inches lower when drifting. I know it doesnt sound like a lot but it can be and on my boat it made it much slower to get on step. If you can run it w/o I would think you would be better off and certainly try it first.
    You might find the right prop and a cavatation plate make solve the prop blowout, it there even is one, I used a permatrim and it has helped.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR