Thread: Waterfowling ethics

Default Waterfowling ethics

I feel obligated to help educate, promote and communicate the need to understand waterfowl conservation and some of the hunting ethics and courtesies associated with this sport.

Yesterday I could not hunt the morning with you guys..but did venture out to the marsh after work. Me and a buddy along with Skeeter made the trip, and was set up around 645. For the next 2 hours I witnessed some insane and ridiculous efforts to harvest waterfowl being shared not more than 150 yards from us. I know we counted over 43 shots and within clear view of the party only saw one bird fall. Now, you might say, well, the chaps maybe needed more practice, maybe the lads were just off that day..etc.

The fact remains the group was obviously new to waterfowling, showed a true lack of respect for trying to cleanly harvest the birds. By this, I mean waiting until they were in effective range, at least 40 yards at a min. They continued to shoot 6 times at every bird, except for the one harvested. They obviously had no idea how to call, work birds, or knowing the effective range of their guns, all of this leading up to multiple cripples being lost. Further more, showing a true lack of respect for effective harvesting waterfowl. It was just an extremely poor representation of what most of us are not. They obviously were just out there to bang away, shoot some shells and try to get a bird. Consistently shooting at birds over 75-100 yards on the opening day.. of all days, knowing patience would put more birds locked up in their face. I witnessed large groups of widgeon locked up on their spread, if they would have waited just 10 more seconds the birds would have been under 20 yards.

Those that know me, might ask, why didn't you say something, normally you would go over and invite them into your spread to help educate them, or ask if you could hang with them and help...well, lets just say it was opening day.... I'm sure I will have another chance...I would however if the chance offers itself again, do my part in helping to educate the young lads in all aspects of the sport.

We had a great afternoon outside of this, worked our birds into the decoys and made nice clean kills and was done in about 90 mins. Skeeter was rock solid and performed very well. I was very pleased with him. He was like a spider monkey on crack... think we were just like three kidos in a candy store.

If your reading this and it was your group, brother, let the birds work, don't get so excited that you want to shoot at every duck flying overhead at 100 yards. If birds are working another spread of another group, have some respect and reach down in your blind bag and break out a can of waterfowling 101 ethics/courtesies , let them work.

There are plenty of birds to be shared by all. learn to blow a duck call, greeting call, comeback call and lonesome hen. Its all you need up here to harvest birds.

See ya on the marsh!
    H
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I feel I need some education on using a call correctly I have watched videos and practiced but don't feel I have it figured out by any means. Open invite for anyone that can educate me. I can deliver a rewarding trip as reciprocation.

The best teacher for learning how to call ducks is live ducks. Next time you're close to an area where a lot of ducks are hanging out, just stop and observe what they're doing, and listen to the sounds they make. That'll teach you what sounds to use and when.

Next, practice those sounds in the truck on your way to work in the morning. Sure, you'll get some funny looks from other drivers, but there is no better place to practice in my opinion.

Remember to call from your gut and not your cheeks, and put a little voice into the call.

There are also some good DVD's and CD's out there that'll give pretty good instructions. Zink has a couple dvd's with his calls that are really good. I learned how to use a short reed goose call by watching the dvd that came with my call. Also Buck Gardner has a CD he sells with some of his calls that you can listen to in the truck. I used his CD a lot a long time ago to work on my cadence.

Finally, mimicry can work out pretty well too. My dad uses this technique, when ducks are flying and they're calling he'll call back with the exact same call that they had just made. Seems to work out pretty well, because my old man is pretty much a duck whisperer, Phil Robertson has nothing on him!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by 907jeff View Post
    I feel I need some education on using a call correctly I have watched videos and practiced but don't feel I have it figured out by any means. Open invite for anyone that can educate me. I can deliver a rewarding trip as reciprocation.
    Less is often best. Most ducks are headed somewhere else and blowing and blowing and blowing is just noise…usually. Get where they want to be and get ready and you won't need to call much.

very good advice..

helps being where they WANT to be..lol
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I didn't touch the call once on opener. And ducks still came in. We had a pair of mallards that passed over at 200 yards or so and took the elevator straight down. Their wings tips were touching it was insane how fast they descended

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

ITs an awesome site for sure...we had 8 widgeon do the same thing. Pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    I didn't touch the call once on opener. And ducks still came in. We had a pair of mallards that passed over at 200 yards or so and took the elevator straight down. Their wings tips were touching it was insane how fast they descended

Sent while partying

We were across the inlet and had much of the area to ourselves due to the flight restrictions and the lack of water. Very few ducks in the area but made up for it with geese. Two years ago we set up our blinds the day before opening (as we always do), had our dekes out and were in our blinds opening day when we noticed this guy walking around in the bald open, coming closer and closer to our blinds. We stood up to let him know we were there and he just kept on coming-with birds flaring off when they saw him. I finally got out of my blind and walked over to him and politely let him know that he was messing up the hunting for all of us. He said "Dude it's only duck hunting.".... That told me all I needed to know. So I asked him if he would mind taking his stroll about 300 yards away from us. He just kept on walking pissing folks off as he went... It's only happened once in seven years but even so it put a bit of a damper on our hunt that morning. It's the reason that we work so hard to not hunt near anyone we don't know.... Highlight of the opening day for me was Ruby retrieving a goose from the inlet. I got two from that flock but the second one was just wing shot and hit the water about 60 yards out and then swam away from Ruby. The goose dove 13 times and Ruby dove 4 times after it. She finally got the bird by the wing and swam back in 75 yards with a live goose. She got extra dinner that night!
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I will rephrase. Whoever who has calling Ducks and geese in Alaska figured out and doesn't mind showing off their skills with a call there is an open invite. I am not new to duck hunting I just know there are some things I can get better at. If not no big deal I don't need to call or sit on dekes to produce a limit. By the way you can bring your dog too if it gets along with my dog and doesn't weigh 100lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 907jeff View Post
    I will rephrase. Whoever who has calling Ducks and geese in Alaska figured out and doesn't mind showing off their skills with a call there is an open invite. I am not new to duck hunting I just know there are some things I can get better at. If not no big deal I don't need to call or sit on dekes to produce a limit. By the way you can bring your dog too if it gets along with my dog and doesn't weigh 100lbs.
    aw man that's means I gotta leave mine

Mine gets along with everybody..lol

Sounds like a great invite..

Quote Originally Posted by Hogslayer6 View Post
    aw man that's means I gotta leave mine

Hopefully my neighbors from opening day read this thread. You know who you are!

The new Tanana Lakes area is always crowded on the opener, but I suffered through a new low point for duck hunter ethics. I had my decoys out and was in my blind sipping coffee 45 minutes before shooting time. I saw a few headlamps bobbing across the marsh here and there, but no one was very close to me. Then 15 minutes before shooting time, a fellow walks up carrying a bag of decoys. He proceeds to drop his decoys 30 yards from my blind. 30 yards! I inquired as to what he was doing and he said hunting. There was a short back-and-forth about what an idiot he was or was not, and he left to get his buddy, dog, and other bag of decoys. I was not happy. Sure enough, five minutes after shooting time all three arrive back at "their" spot, 30 yards from me. Turns out they had cut some brush and built a blind a few days before and thought they had the place reserved. Jackasses.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.