Thread: Rabbit Slough

Default Rabbit Slough

Alright just a quick question. I have really been wanting to hunt Rabbit Slough but have always been to worried to do it. I want to take a kayak out there but my question is, is it possible to row back upstream or is the current to strong? This has always stopped me with not knowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you're an Olympic rower, you won't make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

You can make it. I have gone down about 5 miles in my kayak before. It will take a little work to get back up but its really not terrible. A buddy and I rowed a canoe back up approximately the same distance. I say try a little first 6 or 7 hundred yards and see how you feel. Ive done it a lot and dozens of others do it during fishing season as well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

When I was a teenager, we used to hunt it from the Knik river side, we used to hunt there with a young Fish and game bioligist who would paddle a canoe down solo, and paddle back up to the bridge with the tide. Probably easier with a kayak but maybe easier and quicker.

My daughter and I did it earlier this year in our drift boat. Went way down and rowed back up no problem. We got some surprised looks but it worked great and we got a bunch of fish. Lots of canoes and kayaks were there too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes it's doable.. It seriously consider the tides and timetable. I have towed back many guys that that current kicked their %#}{..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

As stated it can be done but it can be done a lot easier if the tide is working with you and not against you
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I bought a momarsh with a 6 hp go devil this spring. Looking to go out to RS...anyone else with a marsh boat want to go show me around? I have a bunch of deeks.