Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05' Polaris Sportsman dead

Default 05' Polaris Sportsman dead

So this weekend we were riding and my Polaris Sportsman 500 went dead within the first 10mins and now it want start. I've checked the spark, has gas and compression but will not even fire off. I'm at a loss so looking for some help.

A few months ago the pull cord broke and I haven't replaced it yet, could some of the rope be coming apart and getting on the stator? Thanks in advance for any input.

Spinning over with batt but won't fire?
    First thought is to check electrical stuff like kill switch, ignition key, etc...Not sure if they have spark if ignition is off though.
    Did it die while riding it, stutter, backfire, or just kaput as if you turned off the power?

More info?!
    Bk

You have the magic triangle. Spark, fuel, compression. Maybe the timing is off.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I have had spark plugs fire when pulled but then not work at all when reinstalled. Worth a shot.

2 things happen with a broken rope. Answer to your question is yes. Pieces of the rope can get into the stator and mess it up. Second is that without the pull handle in place you have a big open hole directly into your stator. Get in water over case deep and you fill your stator with water. Or a good rain for that matter.

Like was said above. Fuel. Compression. And spark. Check all 3. If no spark you know where to go looking. I have also had the magnets in the flywheel come apart on 3 different polaris wheelers. That may be why you would have no spark as well.

@ BKmail, it spins over and has a good spark, I was riding it and it just shut off as if the key was turned off. It happened with no backfire, pop, hesitation etc, just kaput!

@ theultrarider, When the rope broke I kept the handle on the hole to keep the area closed off. I have all three, Compression, fuel and spark but missing the magic fourth.........start-up. I'm going to take the cover off of stator and take a look see and give it a once over.

Thanks for info guys and keep the suggestions coming.........

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    I have had spark plugs fire when pulled but then not work at all when reinstalled. Worth a shot.
    fouled sparkplug? Do what alaskankid said.

Tracing electrical gremlins are a pain, but I think that is what you need to do.
    Install new plug, try it as mentioned above.
    Aarrgghh!
    Bk

Ps-ever get the bike back?

My 08 had broken wires below the handlebar. EFI machine. The fuel pump would shut off. If your is efi, turn the key on and see if you can hear the fuel pump. If it isn't pumping, try turning the bars back and forth to see if you hear it pump. If so, then you have some wires to repair. I've heard the harness was too short on some.

Do you have a big vacuum sound when you take the gas cap off? My 500 HO had a clog fuel vent and cause a issue like this. Disconnect the line to the carb and blow air back to the gas tank and see what happens.

So I've replaced the plug and shot it with starting fluid and still a no go. I ended up pulling the fly wheel off and found that my stator is rusted pretty bad, so I sanded the fly wheel and stator down and cleaned them both and still no go. So now my question is, will it still produce a spark with the stator in such bad shape?

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    So I've replaced the plug and shot it with starting fluid and still a no go. I ended up pulling the fly wheel off and found that my stator is rusted pretty bad, so I sanded the fly wheel and stator down and cleaned them both and still no go. So now my question is, will it still produce a spark with the stator in such bad shape?
    You need to give us more information about the stator. Does the stator only charge the battery or does it supply a pules to the CDI? A wiring diagram will give you the information. You can also measure the output using a VOM to find out if it working.

In your first post you said you had spark, Are you saying you don't have spark now?

For got to mention check ALL connectors for corrosion.

So, it is the stator. Evidently there's a relay in line with the output somewhere that if not getting enough power will not turn on and allow the engine to start. The Polaris guys said it would still give spark but if not strong enough this is what happens. Just my luck, there's no stator between HP Polaris and South Anchorage and every where in between...... 7-10 days on order and we will see......Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Did you call Alaska ATV salvage in eagle river? He might have one

Yep, he had one for an 02' but not mine. Bummer.

Had the same thing happen to a friends 2015 Popo. Riding along and it shut down, wouldn't start. Turned out to be the key that held the flywheel to the crank let go.

Electrical system on My Sportsman 400 makes me Krazy. Replaced the voltage regulator and the stator and the darn battery is always dead. In its defense the machine is at the cabin and doesn't get run very far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    Electrical system on My Sportsman 400 makes me Krazy. Replaced the voltage regulator and the stator and the darn battery is always dead. In its defense the machine is at the cabin and doesn't get run very far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you tried a solar charger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast