Thread: inflatable boat

Default inflatable boat

Looking for any experiences folks have with a good infaltable boats and or motors in a small plane. I have a Experimental producer. Any cub or pacer guys out there that have a favorite. I would like something that would work on some remote lakes and a float hunt or two, handle a moose and a couple guys. Also a 2 or 3 horse outboard. I know this kind of thing has been talked about extensively in other places on the forum. Here I am looking for the plane perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by eatwildgame View Post
    Looking for any experiences folks have with a good infaltable boats and or motors in a small plane. I have a Experimental producer. Any cub or pacer guys out there that have a favorite. I would like something that would work on some remote lakes and a float hunt or two, handle a moose and a couple guys. Also a 2 or 3 horse outboard. I know this kind of thing has been talked about extensively in other places on the forum. Here I am looking for the plane perspective.
    Pretty tall order . . . a moose and two guys needs a larger inflatable than you'll be able to stuff into a Cub. Even a two-man Metzler will weigh about 85 pounds, is a pretty bundle, and it won't handle that sort of load, considering camp gear and the like.

Pare your need down to a specific and well thought-out hunt and go on the Internet for some pretty good choices. Then come back here and ask your question again. I'm not trying to be a smart ***** here, but I think you should sit down with your hunting partner and lay out your requirements for the trip(s), then do a little Internet research. Best of luck !!!

my old 10' quicksilver had an air floor and hard transom and weighed about 90 pounds. It rolled up smaller than most boats but was not easy to handle in tight spaces. Not impossible but not easy. I had a 15hp 2-stroke since a 15 weighed the same as a 10 (about 90#) and I wanted it to plane upstream. That boat probably would have carried a moose and a couple of guys but would have been low in the water. A quick google search shows the 9'6" boat is rated for a 1400# load.

What's a reasonable weight? The Levitator meets your load requirements but might be too heavy or bulky.

http://www.pristineventures.com/prod...levitator.html

Edit: I just watched Larry Bartlett's video at the link above. Man, now I want one!

I dont have a cub. But am interested in what others are regularly stuffing in one. I have an experimental producer. I am not looking for a boat for a specific hunt. I have researched the various options for an inflatable on the internet a good deal. I am looking for anyone with PERSONAL experience hauling an inflatable boat around in their airplane and what works and what doesn't.

One moose, gear, two guys= 14' non-bailing round boat. Take a look at the NRS Otter Livery series. That particular boat weighs 96 lbs.

Question: Once you fly in and land, set the boat up and shove off on that river of your dreams... how you getting back to the airplane? Silly question, I know. But you might be looking for two boats: one for fixed-camp / fixed-airplane hunts, and another for float hunting. Makes a huge difference if you're carrying your camp and all the gear with you, together with bullwinkle and his parts and pieces.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike, its not always the guy flying the plane thats doing the floating . That is the class type of boat I am looking at for sure. Hoping to talk to someone who has a plane and a boat or that has been there when the two were thrown together. Thanks, Bill.

what's the mystery? loading an inflatable into an airplane is a pain. Even into my 180 with the rear seats removed. A bundled rubber boat is a bulky, awkward, flexible package that you can't just shove in and drag out easily. Leaning and lifting are hard on the back. The boat takes up lots of space. Add oars, motor, gas tank, pump, etc and the baggage area is used up.

Good questions! I have a 10' zodiac with a 9.9 Honda or 15 Johnson, and put that in a 185 and go fishing with it.. Moose hunting with it would be tight for 1 guy moose and gear. But it is a floppy pain to get in and out single handedly..

I looked at a couple 12 foot rafts at the fair. It seems from a couple of the comments that the way it can be wrapped up is going to be important. I will try and post a couple pics of the back seat and the baggage, just to make you guys envious.

Did what you are doing with an Aire traveler for a couple years. 70# if I rememberů Not terrible in and out of cub type airplane. Super easy out of Cessna. Straps to a packframe

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Did what you are doing with an Aire traveler for a couple years. 70# if I rememberů Not terrible in and out of cub type airplane. Super easy out of Cessna. Straps to a packframe
    Thanks for the insight, just the kind of experience I am wanting to hear about.

I just did the research on a unit I could manhandle myself into my 185 on floats. Jim King at WWW.alaskaseries.com offers the TDS270 that will accommodate a small motor. He has a lot of options that won't break the bank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've used the smaller version of the TDS270, I wasn't impressed. It punctured very, very easily from small beach gravel, and the motor mount started cracking immediately, I wouldn't plan on using more than a 2.5 hp at half throttle to ease along with it. A small electric motor would be better.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Soar Canoes come in several sizes, they do offer a motor mount, rolled size and capacity vary. They can haul a good amount of gear. I have no experience fitting them in anything smaller than a Otter.