Thread: What spinner to get for trout fishing the valley?

Default What spinner to get for trout fishing the valley?

just wondering people's recommendation for trout fishing in the mat/su valley (hiking upstream on the bigger rivers) and as we drive between talkeetna and denali (hopefully some grayling) the little streams in mid-August. I'll probably be throwing 1/8 oz. panther martins and #0-1 mepps etc. with thin 6 pound line.

What do u think? UL? l? Medium light? Medium? I've always liked longer rods for casts and shock absorbtion (7 footers for everything from ocean to lake), but I think maybe something shorter like 5"6 or 6' may be easier to use if the rivers are very wooded and brushy (no idea if they are). Will ultralight work? Will a 7 footer be a pain? I don't want to have to chase every decent fish if its heavy current so I'm thinking something light rated 4-8#. What do u use?

If I was not going to use a flyrod I would use an UL and an egg sucking leach with a couple of splitshots.

Akbighorn, u don't think i'd catch much trout on spinners? We caught lots of grayling on mosoe creek near fairbanks and two juvenile steelhead (around 10-12 inches). It seemed like grayling are not very picky at all....I know Michigan rainbows and browns can definitely be very picky.

I'll be teaming this with an okuma avenger...either 15 or 20 sized. I guess if u guys have no problems fly rodding on these streams then I should have no problem with a long spinner, but a 5'6 or 6 footer would still be easier to stick in my pack.

Model Line
    Capacity
    (yds./lb. test) Gear
    Ratio Weight
    (oz.) Bearings Qty Price AV15 160/4 5.0:1 7.6 6+1 $29.99

AV20 180/6 5.0:1 9.5 6+1 $29.99

I didn't say that, just telling you what I prefer to use in the streams this time of year.

Try to find some of the 00 Mepps too. They are hard to find, but work extremely well for grayling and 'bows. I find that silver spinners work better for grayling and gold spinners work better for 'bows (not always, but seems like it to me).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

a casting bubble and a stimulator
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I have had some luck with spinners. and colors seem to vary on the day one day they will be biting on silver spinners the next they will be bitting on red or orange. I usually get the smallest spinner I can find.

Default types of spinners

small panther martins in black and small rooster tails in black, white and rainbow. Have some small and some of the larger ones also. My son and I fly fish but my daughter can't quite get the hang of it and she does just fine with spinners. I usually always start her with the black panther martin with yellow dots / no bucktail and then switch to black rooster tail, then white then rainbow. Saw some touristy guys doing fine with mepps on trout this weekend. Make sure you watch where you can and can't keep them. Told the same guys they couldn't keep them, they grumbled about it being stupid and some mind your own business stuff, they moved up stream and got popped.